Now that the GTA V hype is gone...

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
The idea that one should have to make their own fun is a testimony to how shallow GTA really has become. San Andreas is pretty, large, and hollow. Rockstar doubled down on sizzle over substance, and this is why people are already coming down off their "BEST GAEM EVAR" sugar high.
I dont really agree with this, the game gives out enough tools and mechanics for the player to make its own fun, just because it isnt higlighted on a map doesnt mean it isnt there. You can get inside of a truck (break the back doors and hop in) and start a shootout from inside that moving truck (the character wont slip out of it like in a lot of games), that itself could have been an activity but it isnt and if you never do it by yourself then you wont ever do it.

Not really comparing both games but with some few exceptions there isnt much of both games that you cant do in the other, its just that some of those things arent exactly missions/activites.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
I would say hold off, I mean steam's autumn sale is on!!! It's not going to be any less fun for you in six months.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
It's better value for money than the vast majority of games that are available right now. Is it perfect? Hell no. But it is a hell of a lot of fun, and it'll probably be like CoD in that it doesn't get discounted for ages.

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
I'd say go for it, the game's awesome. A vast open world filled with tons of things to do, the protagonist swapping mechanic is interesting and fun, the story, though not quite as good as the last outing, is still fun, and you'd be hard pressed to find a game that looks this good on a technical AND graphical level.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I haven't touched it after the initial week of the online launch, and I keep forgetting I even have it.

It's not a bad game and there's obvious a lot of effort that went into making it, but in the end it just felt like a bunch of incoherent stuff with a lackluster ending. Rockstar are said to be the kings of the sandbox genre, but I honestly feel that during the break between GTA4 and GTA5 other similar games have given me a way more satisfying sandbox experience.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
If you like the GTA series then you'll probably enjoy it. It's a massive game designed to keep you occupied for a while.

As for me, I couldn't stand it. It was kinda underwhelming throughout, especially because the characters are either inconsistent or bipolar (yeah that's totally not a cop-out argument or anything), there isn't really a major story and the 'big heist' only really gets built on in the last few missions. Gameplay was fine, at least it's playable unlike GTA IV. Though if you own my poor Xbox 360 the console auto-aiming is so bad and indecisive that you'll have to turn it off. The flying is absolute shit, too. Have fun turning so slowly and being unable to land.

It's also way too long, they show off the fact that their map is huge by having you drive across it in near enough every mission. Most of the map is empty, too. The 'San Andreas' part is barely any bigger than it was in San Andreas the game, the rest is just countryside and mountains.

Wait until a price drop, or just go out and buy Saints Row 2, The Third or IV for a fraction of the price.

bauke67

Apr 8, 2011
In my opinion it's a great game. Im still playing the multiplayer now and haven't played anything else on my xbox since it released. If you like GTA games you'll love this one cause it's the same as others, but with a lot of new stuff like the multiplayer and many small changes.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I thought it was pretty good. Nothing "ground-breaking" or "revolutionary", but a solid game. No, it won't make you cry and the satire is about as subtle as a 100-foot high neon sign blaring "WESTERN CULTURE HAS BECOME DECADENT. WESTERN CULTURE HAS BECOME DECADENT", but the writing and jokes and interactions between the characters did make me smile and the story is suitably bonkers enough to provide a diverse range of situations and missions and scenarios.

I was pretty happy with the game. It's not the best game in the world (that belongs to the wonderful game "To the Moon"), but if you have the cash and the time and you like open-world games, pick it up.

Dec 1, 2013
In my opinion it's worth the 60$ you pay for it.
Here in Germany i got it for about 50$ which isnt that big of a difference. The Campaign was really hit to perfection so that one could really form an emotional bond with them. However when your done with the campaign there are still alot of things to do. Ofcourse the standard GTA suicide rampage is fun from time to time, but you still have all of those side-quests, and rare cars to find,customise and drive.

GTA online is my biggest dissapointment however...
First of all, i have been waiting for this for a long time to prove all my skills in GTA online.
Though when it came out, it was a clusterfuck. I couldnt get it to work untill day 6 after it came out.
So when i did come online, it was the samething as in GTA IV.
There was people everywhere killing anyone so it was pretty much pure anarchy.
The missions were so indefinite and complex and it was the same again and again.

In all, GTA V is still worth full price 60$, though i would advise getting it cheaper used from gamestop.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Not trying to tread-shit, but after reading the contention here, I think the OP should just pick up Just Cause 2 for $3 on Steam right now and call it a day. GTAV isn't going anywhere soon, but its price point will eventually.

roonder

Nov 27, 2013
I loved it, I can't believe they added all the old GTA 3 era characters and made them all run their own Steak and Pizza business that is also a front for an illegal Jetpaxk business.

Perfect, 10/10.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
It's a brilliant game. Tied with TLoU for favourite game so far this year, I've spent so much time in that game that Skyrim better be checking it's rear-view mirrors.
Although it was very different from my expectations. There are only 3 real heists and one consists of following some dude through some halls and then walking out. So don't buy it if you want awesome heists as I did, buy it for everything else.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Game of the year for me. Funny characters, engaging missions and an entertaining story. Huge improvement over GTAIV in my opinion. They eliminated some annoying elements, and most importantly improved on the gameplay. Shooting and vehicle mechanics is so much better this time around.

The big star of the game though is Los Santos itself. Rockstar has created an immersive and spectucalar LA replica, and I'm still awed by the sheer size of it all, and how well realized it is. A lot of times I just lose myself in the game, driving around doing nothing but taking in the sights. The attention to detail is staggeing.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Is GTAV alone worth 60 ? - No
Is GTAV and GTA online worth 60 ? - Absolutely
Honestly i'd pay 60 ? just for GTA online.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
It's okay.

I felt the 3 different protagonist thing hurt the story more than it helped.

The online mode is lukewarm at best, and I personally said the hell with it when I got chucked into the bad players lobby for no reason.
The online mode is not helped by the fact that it's incomplete and Rockstar have screwed it up at literally every step. Also, Rockstar are lying bastards who claimed that they fixed the stat problem, when I just lost levels in two stats weeks after it was fixed. And it's not an issue of me not saving or something, since those stats were higher for weeks. Honestly, I feel really bad for anyone who puts money into the online game, as it looks like the bugs they wanted to work out before the stimulus drop happened are still somewhat there.

But Los Santos is still a fun sandbox. The problem I have is that there's not much to do in online except deathmatches (which are really pay to win) and races, and not much reward for doing anything.

Sirron, I feel my 60 dollars was worth it for the game, but if you've held out this long, sale prices are going to be happening. Amazon had a flash sale or whatever the other day for 35.00 USD. Online play may even one day be worth it, but it kinda sucks right now.

And I don't know how Sane got in the bad sport lobby when one of my friends keeps blowing up personal vehicles and getting good sport rewards. EDITED: I'm not bitching about his actions, BTW. We've actually been trying to get him in the bad sport lobby, so we're as much to blame as he is, if not more.

Speaking of, now that medical bills are smaller, death doesn't sting as much. A certain Escapist thanked me for helping him out by costing me 30G in a little under two minutes back when the game was young. Thank God he didn't blow up my car, or he might have ended up a bad sport, you know?
What bugs me is that there isn't a filter on the races. I quit after a while because I needed 27 races in the muscle class to make the dominator worth driving, and not only do you have to find a race in the muscle class, you have to win it.

But I heard that your stats get lowered if you don't play for a while, like they just deteriorate. That might not be the case but I figured I should mention it.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
Yes.
It's the best game for the PS3 barring TLoU. An amazing experience and loads and loads of fun.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
Honestly, that's too much to spend on ANY game. If you were all about the hype, then I would say "Go for it! Life is short!". But you want a more reasoned suggestion, so here's mine:

Wait until it's about a third of that price, like Arkham City (GOTY) is now. Why spend over $60 when you can pay $21 instead?

Your budget will thank you, and there are many great games that have already passed the reasonable price threshold. Fantastic games, which cost a heck of a lot less than 60 now.