Now that the Steam Winter Sale is over, what all did everybody here get?

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
Personally, I got lots of good stuff. My friends and I all did quite the gift exchange, so I walked away with Metro Exodus, Prodeus, Ghostrunner, Deep Rock Galactic, Risk of Rain 2, Viscera Cleanup Detail, Roboquest, and Overload.

What did you guys get?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Noice. That was one of my favorite games from last year. Hope you enjoy it.

OT:

I bought a handful of games from my wishlist that were down to $10 due to the sale. I think I got....I dunno, 6 games or so? I grabbed 4 this morning before work, and I grabbed one or two prior to that IIRC. Nothing really big. Trying to minimize luxury expenditures currently.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I got
Ori and the will of the wisp (havent played yet)
Hardcore Mecha (awesome)
Timespinner (very good)
Gunfire Reborn (very good)
Slime Rancher (good)
Capcom Beat'em up bundle (very good)
Nightmare Reaper (awesome)
Project Wingman (awesome)
Balders Gate 3 (haven't played it yet)

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Metal gear survive (I enjoy playing train wreck cause they sometime have interesting mechanic, see left alive)
Yakuza like a dragon (can't wait to play it but my computer need some first aid first)
Xcom chimera squad (I respect these guy for launching with a 50% discount and not having gone down any lower later on)
Starpoint gemini 3 (all the starpoint gemini are one step forward and one step backward and this one doesn't seem to break the mold)
Then some minor stuff (Godhood, Dex, curious expedition, xenon valkyrie)

A friend of mine gave me ratropolis which is pretty darn good if you like deck builder/tower defence/city builder. Interface suck though (I think it was designed with tablet in mind)

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
IIRC, the only games I got this time around were God Eater 2 (which came with the original, so bonus), Divinity: Original Sin II, Hades.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So far it's pretty interesting; I'm advancing through the game as much because I want to know about its world as because I want to get to the end, and that's always a good thing. But boy howdy does this game run my 5700XT hard.
Yeah the particle effects from all the combat can make a system chug. My PS4 cries tears of digital blood whenever the combat gets crazy.

I strongly urge you to collect all the case files and stuff. There is a LOT of the lore of the Oldest House pieced together from those redacted pages. It's one of the few games where I wanted to find all the collectibles, as I usually just skip them. But they did a great job of carving up clues about the various people and events in those pages. Where like, a mention of something in page 1, is redacted heavily, but through context clues in a separate case file, on page 27, you can realize "Ooooh, so THAT's the thing they were talking about on page 1 of that other file! But...wait, if that anagram means that...then that means...wait no...what?!" *go look for more clues*

I had a blast with it. Also, as a single tip, just for what I consider improved fun. At some point, they will mention the Ashtray Maze. You can't get into it until a specific point in the story, but you can go to it before then. I recommend checking it out just so you can see what it was like while it was "closed" I've seen let's plays of people who didn't check it out before hand, and they seemed a bit confused. But the ones that actually poked their head in, got a lot more fun out of that sequence.

Reactions: Trunkage

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I got nothing.

I was planning yesterday to buy multiple copies of a game I've played and enjoyed to be used for gift-code-giveaways on twitch, but I found out you cannot buy games as gift codes anymore; you have to actually be friends with the intended recipient on steam at time of purchase. So: nothing.

I do wonder why they've removed that ability.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Probably the same reason as always: people found a way to abuse it.
I think what was happening was people were buying through third parties or other work arounds allowing them to get games in countries where their currency was strong against the local one.

Origin wouldn’t let me gift a game to a friend in the US because I was in Australia.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I bought Return of the Obra Dinn for a friend, Stardew Valley and The Talos Principle for some relatives, and Saints Row 4 for myself. Not really a Christmas thing, a replay of SR 2 and 3 just lined up with the sale.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I bought the Halo MCC for my girlfriend (she will play it, and she will love it, or so help me.)

I also picked up Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Star Wars: Squadrons, and Half-Life: Alyx. I also got gifted Disco Elysium from a friend.

Been playing Squadrons, and been having a blast. Cant wait to get around to the rest.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Bulletstorm
Metal Gear Solid 5
Devil May Cry 4 and 5

Metro Exodus on GOG and 2 other games

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I don't think I got anything during the Steam sale.

Stellaris from GoG.com, but that's about it (no DLC, which may severely colour my playing experience, but since it's baby's first Paradox game, how bad could it be?(!)). -.-

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I think what was happening was people were buying through third parties or other work arounds allowing them to get games in countries where their currency was strong against the local one.

Origin wouldn’t let me gift a game to a friend in the US because I was in Australia.
I have a friend in Germany. We use to gift each other games on steam, until Steam said "Nope, sorrry, can't do that".

Luckily, GOG.com still lets you gift games across national borders.

Reactions: Bedinsis

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I have a friend in Germany. We use to gift each other games on steam, until Steam said "Nope, sorrry, can't do that".

Luckily, GOG.com still lets you gift games across national borders.
Probably some G2A illegal shenanigans.

OT: BattleTech and Shadow of War

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
For my friends: Persona 4 Golden, God Eater 2: Rage Burst, Monster Train

For myself: Dark Souls Remastered, Doom Eternal, Resident Evil 6 (for co-op stupidity), Rivals of Aether, Streets of Rage 4

Received: South Park: The Fractured But Whole