Now You Too Can Mimic the Best Street Fighter Ever

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Now You Too Can Mimic the Best Street Fighter Ever

The upcoming "Online Edition" of the venerable Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike will teach you how to replicate the most legendary moment in fighting game history.

The year was 2004, and Japanese fighting game master Daigo Umehara was in a tough spot at the EVO tournament. He was in the Street Fighter III semifinals against American legend Justin Wong, and his Ken barely had a sliver of health. If he lost, he would be at a match disadvantage. Justin Wong activated his super attack, knowing that if even one of the flurry of blows landed - or was even blocked - the damage would be enough to win him the day.

What transpired, as you can see here to the right, was the stuff that legends are made of. It's undeniably the greatest moment ever in Street Fighter, if not in all of competitive gaming.

Capcom is re-releasing its classic Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike as an "Online Edition" downloadable title for XBLA and PSN. One of the improvements to the decade-old fighter is a new training mode, which will teach new players how to utilize the game's mechanics - like the ability to parry attacks without taking a point of damage. Daigo Umehara's legendary comeback was all about parries, and I think you can see where this is going.

The final "Expert" challenge for the parry mechanic is, of course, to replicate that famous moment from EVO 2004. Not only must you parry every single hit from Chun-Li's super attack, but you have to finish her off with the exact same combo Daigo himself used. As you can see over at Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5817460/the-next-street-fighter-lets-you-try-to-re+create-the-coolest-street-fighter-moment-ever], Capcom's Seth Killian demonstrates the feature and can't even get the first parry off - and he works with these damn games for a living!

If nothing else, it will give gamers a bit more respect for just how tricky the whole thing is to pull off in the silence of your living room, let alone at an international fighting game tournament with a room full of people watching your every move.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5817460/the-next-street-fighter-lets-you-try-to-re+create-the-coolest-street-fighter-moment-ever])

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Such a godlike moment of fighting game perfection. And while this particular one is a moment for the ages, if you watch tourneys at all you know that this sort of amazing comeback happens almost every time, even if not quite to the same degree.

So, the genre is all just about mashing buttons, eh?

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
So it really is true, then. This new mode wasn't a rumor.

Awesome.

Hopefully this mode is extensive enough to give players the rundown on each character. That'd definitely make the process of getting the hang of previously untouched characters far easier.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Want.
Want with the force of a thousand suns.
And i love the idea for Training mode.
Seams like it will give the player some inspiration for their on styles imo.

And man i do love comebacks like that.
Especially if the person is at a character disadvantage.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Really?! I was expecting something a bit more substantial than that, looked like every close game of Streetfighter II I have ever played with one of my roommates...

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
If someone ever says fighters are all button mashers you show them this vid and explain the mechanics behind it. It's enough to shut them up.

I know I'll be trying my damndest to replicate this moment......not that I'll succeed.

Keldon888

Apr 25, 2009
When I saw that moment the first time years ago I didn't think it was possible, and I'm still not too sure it is.

Sep 14, 2009
jpoon said:
Really?! I was expecting something a bit more substantial than that, looked like every close game of Streetfighter II I have ever played with one of my roommates...
uh...lolwut?

when the game comes out, go buy it and try to replicate that move on the fly and see how well it works out for you. disregarding he did that in a tourny against one of the top players in the world.

OT: this is pretty cool to add that into the game, i might be interested enough to buy my own copy

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
jpoon said:
If it looks that way to you, it's because you don't understand what you're watching. Of course, it's more likely you're just trolling. Either way, no.

That video still gives me a little chill every time, less from the gaming and more from that crowd surge behind it.

Rauten

Capitalism ho!
Apr 4, 2010
Oh. My. God. How is it I've never witnessed this moment of gaming godmode? Beautiful beyond words.

If you'll excuse me, I'll be over there crying manly tears.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Such a godlike moment of fighting game perfection. And while this particular one is a moment for the ages, if you watch tourneys at all you know that this sort of amazing comeback happens almost every time, even if not quite to the same degree.

You don't play a lot of fighting games, do you?

jpoon said:
Wow... looks like someone here isn't familiar with the game, then again considering the characters involved are two that were featured back in SF2 I guess I can't blame you.

Lemme bring you up to speed real quick: what the Ken user is doing is called parrying, a new defensive-offensive maneuver more or less exclusive to the SF3 games. While risky as it's very easy to screw up, it essentially allows the user to block an attack without taking damage and the user can retaliate almost instantly as opposed to a standard block.

Here's the significance: that super the Chun-Li user did is one of the strongest and best supers in the game - on hit, it does at least 30% damage and that's without comboing into it. The Ken user parried the entire attack and responded in kind. At the time that happened, what the Ken user did was thought to be unprecedented, impossible, and down-right unthinkable given the attack speed of the super.

But that was almost 10 years ago. At this point, it's pretty commonplace, and it's far more entertaining when you something like this instead:

To wit, the big guy in the blue is one of the hardest character to use effectively - if not one of the worst characters - in the game. Chun-Li is one of the best.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
StriderShinryu said:

Whoops. Disregard my last comment. I misread this.

briunj04

Apr 9, 2011
jpoon said:
(o_O) Well, that's kinda surprising considering that they didn't have techs or super combos in Street Fighter II. I don't think you understand the fighting system in 3rd Strike (^_^)

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
SageRuffin said:
StriderShinryu said:

Whoops. Disregard my last comment. I misread this.
No problem. :) it's nice to see someone else defending fighting games for once. There's a few of us here *waves to Seraphim* but we're not really in the majority.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Alright, while that did look pretty nifty, I don't know what happened in that. Could someone care to explain the significance of that? Not trying to troll here, does look pretty epic in it's own way.

Regardless, I have never been one for fighting games anyway. It always feels to me that to get the maximum enjoyment out of a fighting game, you either play competitively or don't bother. Never was my "thing", but still this thing seems cool.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Jumplion said:
Alright, while that did look pretty nifty, I don't know what happened in that. Could someone care to explain the significance of that? Not trying to troll here, does look pretty epic in it's own way.
Long and short, what the Ken user was thought to be impossible considering the nature of the super combined with it being very easy to fuck up the technique he was using. Look at my reply to jpoon for a more substantial explanation.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
SageRuffin said:
Jumplion said:
Long and short, what the Ken user was thought to be impossible considering the nature of the super combined with it being very easy to fuck up the technique he was using. Look at my reply to jpoon for a more substantial explanation.
Well, understanding it now, that is quite epic. I can see why it is down in tournament history.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
This reminds me of the time when I was playing Search and Destroy with my friend who got me into MW2 in the first place, and is infinitely better than I am (I am no slouch), and we were playing 6v6 at the start of the game, but the 4 other people on our team dropped just as the game started. So its my friend and I against 6 people, who are all in the same "clan" (they play alot together).

Game starts, I managed to catch 2 guys off guard and kill them, and took a third out with me with a grenade. My friend casually kills the other three with no difficulty. Ok, so these guys are mad that they just lost 6v2, and are stepping up their game now. I died trying to kill one guy, so now my friend has 6 of them to deal with, and you can tell they're all cocky (they're firing randomly, giving away their positions as they try to find my friend). He rewards two of them with headshots, and takes out another two with a single grenade. Round three starts, and its all business for these guys now, they run around in groups of two, checking every corner, and it takes about 30 seconds of me sprinting around, jumping, dodging, and hiding, for them to finally kill me. My friend is 6v1 again, but this time they are not being cocky and firing their guns. They take their time and sweep the entire map to find where my friend is, but once they get to the last corner of the map, the place they think my friend is, they stop and all take out grenades, and lob it to where my friend HAS to be. Grenades go off, but instead of a kill, they all get flashed. My friend slipped behind one group as they were sweeping, and managed to get some elevation on them all, and lobbed his two stun grenades at them, followed by his semtex which sticks a guy to the back of the head. His grenade goes off, killing 2 and wounding 1, and he takes out the other three with 4 bursts of his FAMAS. Round ends, the score is 3 - 0 for us, and my friend has a beautiful K/D of 15 - 0. As we're switching sides, our friend who has been trying to join us, finally gets into the game (and he's about 3 times better than my friend who is now 15 - 0) and the entire other team leaves.

Most beautiful game of MW2 I have ever had the pleasure of being in :D

TL;DR: My friend kicks the asses of a group of 6 guys that know what they are doing.

Wolfpocalypse

Nov 18, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
No problem. :) it's nice to see someone else defending fighting games for once. There's a few of us here *waves to Seraphim* but we're not really in the majority.
There's definitely great ignorance with regards to fighting games on the escapist, but there are certainly a few true believers as well :) keep fighting the good fight!