Now You Too Can Mimic the Best Street Fighter Ever

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
That is just goddamn INCREDIBLE. I love displays of skill like that.
Also, the new mode sounds interesting. I might give it a shot.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Sounds about right, the best games of MW always end with the entire other team leaving. Amiright?

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
briunj04 said:
jpoon said:
Really?! I was expecting something a bit more substantial than that, looked like every close game of Streetfighter II I have ever played with one of my roommates...
(o_O) Well, that's kinda surprising considering that they didn't have techs or super combos in Street Fighter II. I don't think you understand the fighting system in 3rd Strike (^_^)
Yeah, I definitely don't understand because this pretty much looks like a non-event to me. I laughed when one of you guys said you get chills from watching this, oh god, haha!

Flatliner74

Mar 3, 2010
jpoon said:
briunj04 said:
jpoon said:
Really?! I was expecting something a bit more substantial than that, looked like every close game of Streetfighter II I have ever played with one of my roommates...
(o_O) Well, that's kinda surprising considering that they didn't have techs or super combos in Street Fighter II. I don't think you understand the fighting system in 3rd Strike (^_^)
Yeah, I definitely don't understand because this pretty much looks like a non-event to me. I laughed when one of you guys said you get chills from watching this, oh god, haha!
Again, you don't understand exactly what happened. In order to parry an attack you must press forward on the joystick at just about the exact instant an attack hits you. The window on the timing is unforgiving. Couple that with the fact that you also must vary your motion against high and low attacks, and the timing of the incoming barrage varies.... this is simply one of the most clutch plays in competitive gaming history.

If you played SF3TS at all, or attempted to master any of the SF games beyond the most basic level, you'd understand why people get chills watching this. I watched it three times just now and am blown away as much today as I was years ago.

If it's not your thing, that's cool though. But you need to understand WHY this was such an epic moment.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
John Funk said:
What transpired, as you can see here to the right, was the stuff that legends are made of. It's undeniably the greatest moment ever in Street Fighter, if not in all of competitive gaming.
Riiiiiight. Clearly you've never heard of Counter Strike tournaments. That's what competitive gaming is all about.

bigsby

Jul 16, 2009
A God held a joystick that day... Greatest moment in competitive gaming by a mile!

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Keldon888 said:
When I saw that moment the first time years ago I didn't think it was possible, and I'm still not too sure it is.
Agreed. I remember when it happened. It's just as ridiculously mindblowing now as it was back then.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Haakong said:
First view: Whats the big idea? He blocks a special attack, then counters it. Big deal...
*reads article about parries*
Second view: WTF how is that even possible? What kind of deity possessed him during those 5 seconds?!
That's the question a lot of people still seem to be asking about Daigo even now. The way he reads and analyzes opponents, then destroys them is still in evidence at almost every tournament he plays. There are probably better raw players than Daigo is (Justin Wong, who Daigo was playing in that video, Sako and Tokido come to mind), and there are those with more heart, but the way Daigo is so ice cold under pressure and able to read his opponents so well is unmatched. Heck, he even has a move type, the Ume-shoryu, essentially named after him because of how well he reads his opponents before they even attack and perfectly shoryus (dragon punch uppercuts) them.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Haakong said:
First view: Whats the big idea? He blocks a special attack, then counters it. Big deal...
Second view: WTF how is that even possible? What kind of deity possessed him during those 5 seconds?!
Same here. I watched the video and it looked like a good series of blocks. Whatever. I watch the video on Kotaku and my reaction jumped to: How the bloody hell did he pull that off!?! That is amazing.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
ImprovizoR said:
John Funk said:
What transpired, as you can see here to the right, was the stuff that legends are made of. It's undeniably the greatest moment ever in Street Fighter, if not in all of competitive gaming.
Riiiiiight. Clearly you've never heard of Counter Strike tournaments. That's what competitive gaming is all about.
You don't play a lot fighting games, do you?

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Haakong said:
That's the question a lot of people still seem to be asking about Daigo even now. The way he reads and analyzes opponents, then destroys them is still in evidence at almost every tournament he plays. There are probably better raw players than Daigo is (Justin Wong, who Daigo was playing in that video, Sako and Tokido come to mind), and there are those with more heart, but the way Daigo is so ice cold under pressure and able to read his opponents so well is unmatched. Heck, he even has a move type, the Ume-shoryu, essentially named after him because of how well he reads his opponents before they even attack and perfectly shoryus (dragon punch uppercuts) them.
To be fair, while Daigo is a beast (pun not intended), as far as SF3 is concerned, there are many others that are miles above him, or just as good a player, at least to me. Names that come to mind off-hand are: J (Makoto), Fujiwara (Dudley), Kokujin (Dudley), RX (Urien), Hayao (Hugo), PinoAB7 (Necro), KSK (Alex), and quite possibly the best SF3 player in the world, Kuroda (who plays everyone, but usually sticks to Q).

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
SageRuffin said:
StriderShinryu said:
Haakong said:
To be fair, while Daigo is a beast (pun not intended), as far as SF3 is concerned, there are many others that are miles above him, or just as good a player, at least to me. Names that come to mind off-hand are: J (Makoto), Fujiwara (Dudley), Kokujin (Dudley), RX (Urien), Hayao (Hugo), PinoAB7 (Necro), KSK (Alex), and quite possibly the best SF3 player in the world, Kuroda (who plays everyone, but usually sticks to Q).
Oh, certainly. Despite the appearance in that video, SF3 never really was Daigo's game. Especially in those days, though, he was one of very few players to actually travel to fight at tournaments. Look at the recent Shadowloo tourney in Australia where almost the entire top finihers for pretty much every game were exclusively Japanese, or even the two recent US tournaments where Japan dominated at both Marvel and AE.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Oh, certainly. Despite the appearance in that video, SF3 never really was Daigo's game. Especially in those days, though, he was one of very few players to actually travel to fight at tournaments. Look at the recent Shadowloo tourney in Australia where almost the entire top finihers for pretty much every game were exclusively Japanese, or even the two recent US tournaments where Japan dominated at both Marvel and AE.
You're absolutely right - in fact, I recall an interview from Justin Wong saying that the only reason he played was to increase American player participation as he wasn't too fond of the game himself.

But Japan smashing other countries in [insert fighting game here] isn't new with the rare exceptions of MvC2, possibly the Soul series, and MK (for obvious reasons). Keep in mind that a lot of games release in Japan for what could be years in advance before reaching other parts of the world. At that point, there's a good chance Japanese players have found a good many tricks that they may or may not be willing to share with outsiders like you and me.

Daigo's supposed to competing in MvC3 at this year's Evo. Him vs Combofiend is gonna make headlines if it happens.

Observation: Jacked up the quote. My bad.

Krunkcity3000

Mar 12, 2008
jpoon said:
SF2 didn't have parries. So it looks nothing like that.

Krunkcity3000

Mar 12, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
Want.
Want with the force of a thousand suns.
And i love the idea for Training mode.
Seams like it will give the player some inspiration for their on styles imo.

And man i do love comebacks like that.
Especially if the person is at a character disadvantage.
LOL, that Magneto-Sentinel user got what he deserved.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Krunkcity3000 said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Want.
Want with the force of a thousand suns.
And i love the idea for Training mode.
Seams like it will give the player some inspiration for their on styles imo.

And man i do love comebacks like that.
Especially if the person is at a character disadvantage.
LOL, that Magneto-Sentinel user got what he deserved.
Dude, "got what he deserved" my ass. Marn is no slouch. It just so happened that Combofiend is a beast at MvC3. Case in point:

And Justin Wong is no pushover in any game he plays.

JoelChenFA

Play Minecraft. Watch Top Gear.
Nov 24, 2010
Shjade said:
jpoon said:
If it looks that way to you, it's because you don't understand what you're watching. Of course, it's more likely you're just trolling. Either way, no.

That video still gives me a little chill every time, less from the gaming and more from that crowd surge behind it.
Even if you don't understand what is happening (like me) you can understand the passion from the supporters and you can understand that something great just happened. I had to ask a friend if they allowed cheating in tournaments.