NPD's March Numbers Show Bioshock And Tomb Raider at The Top

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
romxxii said:
V da Mighty Taco said:
I've been ninja'd already, buttfukeet I'm going to say it anyways - Tomb Raider is the second highest selling game this month, being only beaten out by Bioshock: Infinite during it's launch month, and somehow TR is still considered a disappointment by Squenix? Just, how??
The how is simple: Tomb Raider may have more than made up for its budget in sales, but the company was banking on the game's sales to pull them out of some other financial sinkholes they walked into. It's like winning a million dollars at craps, and still being disappointed because you lost two million at the poker table.
I like your metaphor quite a bit actually. Describes a lot of the AAA industry these days pretty well.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
V da Mighty Taco said:
romxxii said:
V da Mighty Taco said:
I've been ninja'd already, buttfukeet I'm going to say it anyways - Tomb Raider is the second highest selling game this month, being only beaten out by Bioshock: Infinite during it's launch month, and somehow TR is still considered a disappointment by Squenix? Just, how??
The how is simple: Tomb Raider may have more than made up for its budget in sales, but the company was banking on the game's sales to pull them out of some other financial sinkholes they walked into. It's like winning a million dollars at craps, and still being disappointed because you lost two million at the poker table.
I like your metaphor quite a bit actually. Describes a lot of the AAA industry these days pretty well.
Never knowing when to stop, even when it's obvious they're going to lose?

How did The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct get in there? I've only ever heard bad things about it.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
Jaebird said:
romxxii said:
Jaebird said:
Just look at how much of a failure Tomb Raider is. It's only one of the top five selling games for the month of March. Square Enix should really be ashamed of publishing it.
IIRC, NPD only keeps track of retail sales, so that means Tomb Raider's actual sales inclusive of digital downloads is probably a lot higher.
I wasn't aware I was being serious in my initial comment.
Yeah, I was pretty much aware of that. I'm pointing out that NPD's numbers, while high, are not even representative of Tomb Raider's total sales. So they're even a bigger "failure".

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Every time I read something about "NPD declaring such and such game a hit" I actually get a little shock because the NPD is the neo-nazi party in my country...

OT: I've heard so much good stuff about Bioshock that I now always pluck my ears and shut my eyes when it comes up so nothing gets even remotely spoilered in the maybe two years until I buy it.