NRA files bankruptcy, leaders flee to Texas.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Dammit, I'm getting tired of us getting sent stupid things from the north. Bush Jr, ted cruz, and now this.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
To be fair, Bush was mostly on you guys. Nobody should have fallen for that fake folksy drawl.
Well we also only had one of our better governors cause her opponent pretty much shot himself in the nuts by saying, just like a week before the election that if a woman was being raped that she might want to "just sit back and enjoy it."

Reactions: immortalfrieza

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Well we also only had one of our better governors cause her opponent pretty much shot himself in the nuts by saying, just like a week before the election that if a woman was being raped that she might want to "just sit back and enjoy it."
I can imagine everybody who ever supported the guy putting this to shame when that happened.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I can imagine everybody who ever supported the guy putting this to shame when that happened.
He still only barely lost, really it was the libertarian candidate that managed to take just enough votes from him to get her elected.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Dammit, I'm getting tired of us getting sent stupid things from the north. Bush Jr, ted cruz, and now this.
I was gonna say "But Ted Cruz is...."

*looks at wikipedia*

Canadian?

Canada, I think we need to talk. We love have you as neighbors but tossing your trash over the fence like this is rude. Besides, we have enough of our own.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
To evade charges in New York.

-

The National Rifle Association on Friday (local time) filed for bankruptcy, a sudden development that could help the gun rights group escape a lawsuit by New York’s attorney general seeking its dissolution.

The NRA filed for Chapter 11 protection in federal bankruptcy court in Dallas, and said it plans to reincorporate in Texas to escape “a corrupt political and regulatory environment” in New York, where it is now incorporated.

“We seek protection from New York officials who illegally abused and weaponized the powers they wield against the NRA and its members.”
The NRA was sued in August by New York Attorney General Letitia James, who accused Mr LaPierre and other senior leaders of self-dealing and mismanagement, and said the group’s activities violated state laws governing nonprofits.

Ms James said NRA officials diverted millions of dollars to fund luxury lifestyles, including vacations and private jets, and to buy the silence and loyalty of former employees, costing the group $64 million USD (A$83 million) over three years.
“The NRA’s claimed financial status has finally met its moral status: bankrupt,” Ms James said in a statement on Friday. “We will not allow the NRA to use this or any other tactic to evade accountability and my office’s oversight.”

In its own statement, the NRA pledged no immediate changes to its operations or workforce and said it was not insolvent, with Mr LaPierre adding that it was “as financially strong as we have been in years".

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Ahh, fleeing corruption charges.

Kinda saw that coming after sorting the mail and noticing they send out a new "annual membership card" every month.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
In its own statement, the NRA pledged no immediate changes to its operations or workforce and said it was not insolvent, with Mr LaPierre adding that it was “as financially strong as we have been in years".
Sounds to me like it shouldn't be allowed to file for bankruptcy, then.

But I do like the chutzpah of illegally using your charitable organisation as a personal enrichment vehicle, and then brazenly continuing as if there's nothing wrong and moving it to a jurisdiction less likely to hold you accountable.

Maybe that's the real American way.

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Sounds to me like it shouldn't be allowed to file for bankruptcy, then.

But I do like the chutzpah of illegally using your charitable organisation as a personal enrichment vehicle, and then brazenly continuing as if there's nothing wrong and moving it to a jurisdiction less likely to hold you accountable.

Maybe that's the real American way.
That's not the American way, that's the human way. It doesn't matter what country you're in, if someone can exploit everybody else for their own gain chances are they will. Someone tries to stop them? They'll either find somewhere else they can keep doing what they were doing or find another exploit to take advantage of.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
That's not the American way, that's the human way. It doesn't matter what country you're in, if someone can exploit everybody else for their own gain chances are they will. Someone tries to stop them? They'll either find somewhere else they can keep doing what they were doing or find another exploit to take advantage of.
Societies in other countries have ways to prevent or disincentivise such human behaviour though - America less so it seems.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
"There's a sucker born every minute" isn't a saying in the US for no reason.

We love hucksters and frauds