The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
(NSFW) Assassin's Creed: Unisexity

NSFW WARNING: MAY CONTAIN EXCESSIVE LIBERTY

Read Full Article

Dec 14, 2009
Dem tags XD

Everyone knows women can't be assassins, their boobs are adverse to violence. Ever seen an angry boob?

The Council or Uteri would have a field day!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The Wooster said:
One of the richest developers in the world, helming one of the most successful franchises in gaming history, claims a lack of resources means game won't have said feature.
That is what makes it such a terrible excuse. They also had something like eight studios working on the last Assassins Creed game so they clearly aren't lacking for staff either. This is not forgetting the fact that they spend a ridiculous amount of money on advertising despite not really needing it due to how well known the series is.

Sometimes I think the CEO of Ubisoft and EA are having a private bet to see who can gain the most hate from idiotic statements.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Of course they can't afford to put in females, they blew all their money on cocaine and hookers.

byte4554_v1legacy

Feb 23, 2010
For the love of...It's one guy. ONE GUY. THERE IS NO FEMALE CHOICE BECAUSE IT'S ONE CHARACTER! ADDING A FEMALE PLAYER CHARACTER WOULD MEAN ADDING A SECOND PROTAGONIST.

Sorry. It's just that every thread and every single comic and every single video ignores this fact. It's not that they hate women, it's that they didn't want a second protagonist.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Dem tags XD

Everyone knows women can't be assassins, their boobs are adverse to violence. Ever seen an angry boob?

The Council or Uteri would have a field day!
I'm not sure I agree. This tit looks like it might cut you, just saying.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs8nDW7aMTg[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs8nDW7aMTg

Drake666

Sep 13, 2010
byte4554 said:
For the love of...It's one guy. ONE GUY. THERE IS NO FEMALE CHOICE BECAUSE IT'S ONE CHARACTER! ADDING A FEMALE PLAYER CHARACTER WOULD MEAN ADDING A SECOND PROTAGONIST.

Sorry. It's just that every thread and every single comic and every single video ignores this fact. It's not that they hate women, it's that they didn't want a second protagonist.
Hum. You know that in AC: Unity, there is 4 players, right?

*EDIT* Or at least a 4 player mode. *EDIT*

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
byte4554 said:

Whereas yourself and many others are choosing to ignore the fact that Ubisoft have explicitly stated that they did want a female character but it was too resource intensive to do so.

Assassin's Creed Unity's four-player co-op will not offer female assassins due to the pressures of production work, Ubisoft creative director Alex Amancio told Polygon during a recent interview.

Amancio said that though female assassins were planned for the game, Ubisoft ran into "the reality of production."

"It's double the animations, it's double the voices, all that stuff and double the visual assets," Amancio said. "Especially because we have customizable assassins. It was really a lot of extra production work."

In the game's co-op mode, players will have custom gear but always view themselves as Arno, Unity's star. Friends are displayed as different characters with the faces of other assassins.

"Because of that, the common denominator was Arno," Amancio said. "It's not like we could cut our main character, so the only logical option, the only option we had, was to cut the female avatar."

Speaking with Polygon during a different interview, level designer Bruno St-André estimated more than 8,000 animations would have had to be recreated on a different skeleton.

"We started, but we had to drop it," St-André said. "I cannot speak for the future of the brand, but it was dear to the production team, so you can expect that it will happen eventually in the brand."

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
byte4554 said:

So? Rule 63 dat shit for co-op. It isn't like they didn't go and create 4 different character models for co-op anyway, so why not make one (or even two! GASP SHOCK!) of those extra character models a woman? EDIT: And if you did, the fans would eat that shit up. So... Not really seeing a downside?

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
byte4554 said:

The problem many had was not primarily that the protagonist was male or that you couldn't choose his sex, but that you weren't able to chose a female avatar for the coop-characters, which is basicly just a throw away entourage for the protagonist anyways. And I find this sad really, especially considering the role women played in the french revolution. It's also kinda bad buisness. Total Biscuit rambled about the issue on soundcloud [https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/the-discussion]. It's an interessting listen.

OT: The bonus panel made me chuckle.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
CorvusFerreum said:
byte4554 said:

The problem many had was not primarily that the protagonist was male or that you couldn't choose his sex, but that you weren't able to chose a female avatar for the coop-characters, which is basicly just a throw away entourage for the protagonist anyways. And I find this sad really, especially considering the role women played in the french revolution. It's also kinda bad buisness. Total Biscuit rambled about the issue on soundcloud [https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/the-discussion]. It's an interessting listen.

OT: The bonus panel made me chuckle.
Aren't all of them just reskins anyways? As in, Ubi did the other characters on the cheap, and adding a female character would literally require more effort and expense than all of the existing co-op characters combined, because they cut corner in creating the existing ones, and now you want them to do the kind of work that actually adding a new character usually entails?

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
byte4554 said:

People just don't understand! Replacing one of the male support, throwaway characters, that play no role in the plot with a female character would cause such an incredible disturbance to the force. It would be like millions of voices cried out "Back to the kitchen!" and were suddenly silenced.

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
Schadrach said:
And now you want them to do the kind of work that actually adding a new character usually entails?
Yes? Is that really so much to ask for one of the world's largest and financially able publishers to not only include some gender diversity in their game but also accomplish what their original vision of the game?

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
You see the great thing about digital art is that you can save it and carry it from one program to another. You can bring something from Photoshop over to Maya, then over to Mudbox, back to Maya, then to Illustrator, or whatever. Sometimes all you really have to do is change the file type, an easy process more times than not.

With that in mind, I fail to see how Ubisoft could not just carry over the models, animations, and scripts for Aveline from Assassin's Creed: Liberation then expand on them for a playable female character in Unity.
In practical theory, it should not be that difficult, time consuming, or costly, especially if you are one of the biggest producers of video games in the entire world with eight freakin' studios working on one game for one of the most financially successful video game series in the last decade.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Schadrach said:
CorvusFerreum said:
Aren't all of them just reskins anyways? As in, Ubi did the other characters on the cheap, and adding a female character would literally require more effort and expense than all of the existing co-op characters combined, because they cut corner in creating the existing ones, and now you awnt them to do the kind fo work that actually adding a new character usually entails?
That doesn't make the issue that much better. First of: AC is one of Ubisofts most profitable franchises and the coop feature was prominently featured in marketing. If you don't want to criticise them on not putting this option in than you can criticise them on being cheap bastards. We are not talking about a small indie studio here, we are talking about one of the biggest players. I see no reason to let them get away with pallet swaps as coop characters. And even then: I'm pretty sure the game will feature female NPCs of some sort. That means they need to have female VAs anyway. If it was planned enough in advance I don't believe them that it would be over the budged to add a female assassin model with fitting animations. Hell: They even had a female protagonist in one of their titles. I'm pretty sure it should be possible to lift at least some of the animation work from there.
I could accept the cut corners if we were talking about a risky new IP or a small indie studio. But this is the flagship franchise of one of the biggest fish in the industry and we are talking about a heavily marketed feature here. I think you can expect the least bit of effort.

I mean: I don't really care. I wrote my original post as a response to someone who thought the discussion was about the protagnist. I'm not all that interested in AC and will most likely not play it until I get it for cheap in a sale a few years down the line. And even then, I personally won't really care if I play a man, a woman, a dog or a fungus from space. As long as the gameplay is enjoyable, I'm fine.
It just annoys me, that the gaming industry doesn't seem to be willing to put the least bit of effort into something that most likely would increase the appeal of the product. This lazy, bloated attitude really get's to me.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
The Real Sandman said:
With that in mind, I fail to see how Ubisoft could not just carry over the models, animations, and scripts for Aveline from Assassin's Creed: Liberation then expand on them for a playable female character in Unity.
That's what I thought to, but apparently they had borrowed most of Conner's animations for Aveline. More than they did for Edward in fact.

Which is ever so much more damning.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
byte4554 said:

Just an FYI to everyone running with the excuse that because the animus user is a male, the avatar must also be male? I would like to point out the the ancestor controller of Aveline de Grandpre, the female assassin protagonist from Liberation, was a male. There's an interview log about it in Black Flag.

-EDIT- You know, on further review of the above bonus content, I'm going to go ahead and suspect that this level of 'ignorance' on Ubisoft's part might be straight up trolling, but there's no evidence to the contrary, is there?

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
PirateRose said:
The Real Sandman said:
That's what I thought to, but apparently they had borrowed most of Conner's animations for Aveline. More than they did for Edward in fact.

Which is ever so much more damning.
But there it is. For all the time and effort Ubi and friends spent on the main character and those crowd animations and dynamics, they could not divert a bit of those resources for a female co-op avatar?

byte4554_v1legacy

Feb 23, 2010
To be slightly more coherent...Ubi has stated that each Co-Op player will see themselves as Arno, and the other players as generic assassins. That way, no one feels like they're just riding the protagonists coattails.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Legion said:
The Wooster said:
One of the richest developers in the world, helming one of the most successful franchises in gaming history, claims a lack of resources means game won't have said feature.
This is not forgetting the fact that they spend a ridiculous amount of money on advertising despite not really needing it due to how well known the series is.
This is actually the reason. You can't advertise AAA games with playable women, its a rule.