(NSFW) Assassin's Creed: Unisexity

Welshdan15

Aug 18, 2011
I'd like to remind Ubisoft that they made several female characters for multiplayer in the previous games, and then I'd like to ask how a single female character for a 4 player co-op mode is "too difficult".

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Yeah Ubisoft is so rich!

https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsite_common/en-US/images/d20140515031323ubisoft%20fy14%20earnings%20english%20finaltcm99143198.pdf

oh look Ubisoft lost ?65 million last year.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
canadamus_prime said:
Of course they can't afford to put in females, they blew all their money on cocaine and hookers.
WTF IS A SONIC?!

But yeah, if a small indie team said that I'd believe them but this is just ridiculous.

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
youji itami said:
Yeah Ubisoft is so rich!

https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsite_common/en-US/images/d20140515031323ubisoft%20fy14%20earnings%20english%20finaltcm99143198.pdf

So they're able to lose ?65 million?

Yeah, that's pretty rich.

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
Witty Name Here said:
Remind me, why can't they just throw in a few strong female NPCs if that's the case?
Why not ask Ubisoft? As far as we know they're not even willing to do that.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
BreakfastMan said:
byte4554 said:
For the love of...It's one guy. ONE GUY. THERE IS NO FEMALE CHOICE BECAUSE IT'S ONE CHARACTER! ADDING A FEMALE PLAYER CHARACTER WOULD MEAN ADDING A SECOND PROTAGONIST.

Sorry. It's just that every thread and every single comic and every single video ignores this fact. It's not that they hate women, it's that they didn't want a second protagonist.
So? Rule 63 dat shit for co-op. It isn't like they didn't go and create 4 different character models for co-op anyway, so why not make one (or even two! GASP SHOCK!) of those extra character models a woman? EDIT: And if you did, the fans would eat that shit up. So... Not really seeing a downside?
There is a downside.

Consider your average FPS. In this case, you are, at a minimum, doubling the amount of character art you need. You need meshes for both genders for all outfits and pieces of armor not to mention textures for each version. There is some hope though - one can likely get away with only having a single set of animations.

Then consider a game that takes place in third person with a focus on melee. Suddenly you need all that double art but you also have to make new animations. The cause for this additional step is because you have characters interacting in close proximity and if you want the various stabbings and slashings to look believable, that means you'll need to actually go through and animate things different when dealing with a character who is likely shorter, lighter and generally speaking shaped differently in a variety of ways.

In either case, you'll also need to hire voice actors for the task which could be fairly costly and time consuming if you want the playable character in the main game to be female. You might also need to include lots of writing changes to the story to allow for a female character and lots of additional recording of lots of bits of dialog. He must be changed to She at the very least and given the series attempts to at least nod to the history of the moment it would stand to reason people would react very differently to a female assassin than a male one.

By contrast, adding a bit of DLC that gives a new outfit or weapon only requires a fraction of the work - a new model and a new texture and whatever game files govern the behavior of that item. Moreover, adding lots of DLC offers additional avenues for revenue where adding female characters offers precisely nothing tangible. Thus, if pressed for time, which do you think will be cut? The easy DLC that might net a hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars or female playable characters?

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Legion said:
Whereas yourself and many others are choosing to ignore the fact that Ubisoft have explicitly stated that they did want a female character but it was too resource intensive to do so.
Didn't one of the devs come out and say this was bullshit?

Grey: Is that art history thing the woman who killed the famous jocobin being dragged away? Can't remember either of their names to Google.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Requia said:
Legion said:
Whereas yourself and many others are choosing to ignore the fact that Ubisoft have explicitly stated that they did want a female character but it was too resource intensive to do so.
One of the people whose job it was to actually do that kind of animation and so on supposedly did, yes. The person who originally claimed it was too resource intensive was somebody higher up in the company.

youji itami said:
Yeah Ubisoft is so rich!

Yet they can still afford to make yearly Assassin Creed titles. Losing a lot of money doesn't mean much if you still have even more in the bank. If that ?65 million was enough to cause them problems they wouldn't be releasing two Triple A games this year, they'd be cutting back.

If they can afford eight studios to work on a single game, then they are also clearly okay financially overall.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Legion said:
Requia said:
Legion said:
One of the people whose job it was to actually do that kind of animation and so on supposedly did, yes. The person who originally claimed it was too resource intensive was somebody higher up in the company.
Wait, you knew about it and are still parroting the line that came from a suit? Why the hell would you believe a marketing executive over an actual game developer?

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
Witty Name Here said:
88chaz88 said:
Why not ask Ubisoft? As far as we know they're not even willing to do that.
Okay now you're just making that B.S. up on the spot.

They don't have a female model that you wouldn't even be playing as anyways and now you're making the claim "THEY DON'T PLAN ON HAVING ANY FEMALE CHARACTERS EVER!"

Provide a source, or you're just outright lying. Just because they don't have any playable female (they don't have anyone BUT the main protagonist as playable anyways) doesn't mean "they don't ever intend to add in strong female NPCs". The french revolution did have females serving alongside men. Of COURSE female NPCs will show up. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if a few Haitians are seen as well. There have been notable female characters in each Assassin's Creed game so far, and you'd have to be acting purposely dense to imagine there wont be now.

But oh! I can play this game too! It seems like so much fun anyways.

As we all know, the game "Bloodborne" is forcing you to play as a stupid disgusting evil white man. After all, the majority of the monsters you kill in the game are white male zombies, and it "conveniently" hid the main character's face. Now, I know that every Dark Souls and Demon's Souls game prior to this one have allowed you to play as virtually any race and gender (even Trans!) that you want... however the developer hasn't outright said that there are any strong female characters planned. Ergo Bloodborne is a filthy piece of trash that must be destroyed to defeat the patriarchy.
This is the funniest, completely irrational, random rant I've read in a long time.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Requia said:
Legion said:
Requia said:
Legion said:
Wait, you knew about it and are still parroting the line that came from a suit? Why the hell would you believe a marketing executive over an actual game developer?
"Parroting"? I'd recommend reading post three in this thread.

The post you responded to was a reply to a person who claimed that Ubisoft did not want female characters. I then quoted an interview with Ubisoft, where they claimed that they did want female characters but they couldn't manage to do it with their time/money.

At no point did I say I thought they were telling the truth. Again, please read post three.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Don't you play as a female assassin in Assassin's Creed III: Liberation?
Also didn't black flag have a gender bending assassin pirate chick who I seem to recall using all the player animations for her various in game action scenes and cut scenes?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
synobal said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Don't you play as a female assassin in Assassin's Creed III: Liberation?
Also didn't black flag have a gender bending assassin pirate chick who I seem to recall using all the player animations for her various in game action scenes and cut scenes?
To be fair she was posing as a male, so naturally she would act as much as her fellow man-pirates as possible. It still doesn't explain why Ubisoft couldn't re-use Aveline from Assassin's Creed III... Bonnie from AC IV for that matter... or hell even what's her name from the very first game...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Why does everyone think "resources" mean money instead of time? I've rambled on about this on the forums enough but I guess every journalist out there knows way more about how easy it is to make games than the people who actually make them.