Nu TSR goes bankrupt

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Not too long ago, a Gagax descendant found out that Wizards of the Coast didn't file a proper copyright claim on the name TSR, decided to grab the name, and dedicate themselves to Making D&D Great Again. Or so they said in a lawsuit against WotC. Wizards disagreed, counter suing for trademark violations, cybersquatting, and damaging Wizards IP through the sale of blatantly racist and transphobic branded games.

Those competing lawsuits have been put on pause due to nuTSR filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy after making less than $700 in revenue last year. On one hand, lmao, on the other hand, with sales that bad WotC would probably lose the "it might damage our brand" part of the lawsuit

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Whole history in a nutshell

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I understand the politics, but I have difficultly finding sympathy for a company willing to name themselves that.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Whole history in a nutshell
Ok I did not see the racist races thing coming.

Attachments

Reactions: BrawlMan

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
How much of the loss revenue is from angry gamers and content creators still boycotting it after the OGL fiasco?

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
How much of the loss revenue is from angry gamers and content creators still boycotting it after the OGL fiasco?
Reading the story, they have virtually nothing to do with WotC and the OGL. Seems more likely it's because they were nonentities putting out sub FATAL quality garbage. They didn't so much lose revenue as never had any in the first place.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
These are the guys with the white supremacy bullshit on a sci-fi space game, right?

Good riddance.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Yup, that's them
I think they also didn't have the rights to Star Frontiers either so they just went ahead and ruined it's name too, though I'd never heard of Star Frontiers before, the only other TSR game I was familiar with besides the old-school D&D stuff was a system agnostic thing called Alternity that a friend has some books of, but still I don't think that's a fame that's getting revived now, though I think Alternity did get brought back through Kickstarter at some point but now a sci-fi game rather than what it was before, which did have sci-fi as one of the options but it wasn't the only option.

Reactions: BrawlMan