Nvidia Announces New $1200 Pascal-Based Titan X

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
2,804
0
0
Nvidia Announces New $1200 Pascal-Based Titan X

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1337/1337737.jpgNvidia's upped the ante atop the graphics card market again with a new version of the Titan X based on their new Pascal GPU.

Nvidia may have just released the GTX 1080 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167555-Nvidias-GTX-1080-Goes-on-Sale-Sells-Out-Everywhere], but they're not resting on their laurels. To prove it, they've announced their newest top-of-the-line graphics card: an updated Titan X.

The new Titan X is based on the Pascal architecture, just like the GTX 1080, 1070, and 1060. It also packs in 3,584 CUDA cores - the most of any Nvidia card to date. For the tech-minded, here are the specs on this beast:

12-billion transistors
11 TFLOPs FP32 (32-bit floating point)
44 TOPS INT8
3,584 CUDA cores at 1.53GHz (versus 3,072 CUDA cores at 1.08GHz in previous TITAN X)
High performance engineering for maximum overclocking
12GB of GDDR5X memory (480GB/s)

The new Titan X will be available on Nvidia's website [http://www.nvidia.com/] August 2 for those in North America and Europe, as well as for "select system builders." It's not clear who those "select" folks might be, but my guess would be boutique retailers like Digital Storm or Origin PC, for example. If you want one, you should check the status of your bank account, as this card will run you $1,200. You should also check the size of your case, as Nvidia says this card is the "biggest GPU ever built." Finally, make sure your power supply is up to snuff, as this card needs a whopping 250 watts.


After the GTX 1080 eclipsed the previous Titan cards in terms of performance (and price!), it was only a matter of time before Nvidia remedied that situation. I'm just a little surprised it happened this fast. I'm also a little disappointed that Nvidia missed out on the chance to call this one something like "Titan X2 - Revenge of the Titan."

You can see all the data on the new Titan X - and sign up to be notified when it's available - on the official website [http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/titan-x-pascal].




Permalink
 

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
5,152
517
118
Country
USA
Were cost irrelevant, I'd be all over this!!! As I am poor, I'll likely put an AMD 480 into my next build.
 

Kungfu_Teddybear

Member
Legacy
Apr 28, 2020
2,714
0
1
Country
United Kingdom
Gender
Male
I have the current Titan X but I'm gonna sell my Titan X and get a Titan X.
 

Leg End

Romans 12:18
May 2, 2020
2,882
3
43
Country
United States
1080ti when?
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I have the current Titan X but I'm gonna sell my Titan X and get a Titan X.
Sell it as a Titan X so you'll get even more money for the Titan X that's really a Titan X. Fine Print bitches!
 

Callate

New member
Dec 5, 2008
5,118
0
0
I think Nvidia has kind of under-cut the argument for paying the ridiculous premium on the Titan with their rhetoric regarding the 1080. Sure, the new Titan probably out-performs it; so what? The capabilities of the 1080, eclipsing the [not all that] "old" Titan are likely to be all that any gamer needs for some time to come, even as Sony and Microsoft stumble over the issue of raising their respective platforms' capabilities. And the various flavors of VR are likely to hold back games' aspirations for more processor power as well.

Sure, there will be some who feel the need for the absolute best available on the market (until the 1180 comes out and shows the folly of that course.) There may well even be some annoyingly rich twerp who has multiple Titan X2s running in their rig. But at a certain point, it's really about bragging rights, not functionality. Will having a Titan X2 delay your computer's slide into obsolescence by two years? A year? Six months? Can it possibly be enough to justify an extra four to six hundred dollars?
 

Denamic

New member
Aug 19, 2009
3,804
0
0
Callate said:
Will having a Titan X2 delay your computer's slide into obsolescence by two years? A year? Six months? Can it possibly be enough to justify an extra four to six hundred dollars?
I've had my GTX 660 for 4 years and it still keeps up. It was just a mid-range card to begin with. A Titan X will last you a very long time.

People buy solid gold cases for their smartphones. People with enough disposable income won't hesitate to invest in this card. This is a top-end card for people who buy top-end things. Look at something in your own price range instead. Vote with your wallet instead of whinging.
 

Callate

New member
Dec 5, 2008
5,118
0
0
Denamic said:
Callate said:
Will having a Titan X2 delay your computer's slide into obsolescence by two years? A year? Six months? Can it possibly be enough to justify an extra four to six hundred dollars?
I've had my GTX 660 for 4 years and it still keeps up. It was just a mid-range card to begin with. A Titan X will last you a very long time.

People buy solid gold cases for their smartphones. People with enough disposable income won't hesitate to invest in this card. This is a top-end card for people who buy top-end things. Look at something in your own price range instead. Vote with your wallet instead of whinging.
I fully intend to purchase a 1080 when it comes time to build a new system. That doesn't mean I can't express dismay at a piece of hardware that seems to barely serve a purpose other than to cheat people with more money than sense, thank you very much. Considering that two 980s working in SLI out-perform last generation's Titan X, there is little reason to believe that paired 1080s wouldn't do as much for this generations model. And if one can find them at MSRP, the price would be the same.

Unless the purchaser is doing something like rendering Pixar-level animation, perhaps running multiple Titan X2 cards, with almost no upper budget, this card isn't merely an extravagance but a bad investment. And whether it's games or graphics cards, quite frankly I feel that when tech companies focus on chasing "whales"- those who happily throw large amounts of money at illusions of progress- we collectively suffer.
 

V da Mighty Taco

New member
Apr 9, 2011
890
0
0
Holy shit, I can't believe I'm posting here again. It's been what, almost a year since I gave up on this place? The power of Titan compels me, I guess. Anyways....

Callate said:
Denamic said:
Callate said:
Will having a Titan X2 delay your computer's slide into obsolescence by two years? A year? Six months? Can it possibly be enough to justify an extra four to six hundred dollars?
I've had my GTX 660 for 4 years and it still keeps up. It was just a mid-range card to begin with. A Titan X will last you a very long time.

People buy solid gold cases for their smartphones. People with enough disposable income won't hesitate to invest in this card. This is a top-end card for people who buy top-end things. Look at something in your own price range instead. Vote with your wallet instead of whinging.
I fully intend to purchase a 1080 when it comes time to build a new system. That doesn't mean I can't express dismay at a piece of hardware that seems to barely serve a purpose other than to cheat people with more money than sense, thank you very much. Considering that two 980s working in SLI out-perform last generation's Titan X, there is little reason to believe that paired 1080s wouldn't do as much for this generations model. And if one can find them at MSRP, the price would be the same.

Unless the purchaser is doing something like rendering Pixar-level animation, perhaps running multiple Titan X2 cards, with almost no upper budget, this card isn't merely an extravagance but a bad investment. And whether it's games or graphics cards, quite frankly I feel that when tech companies focus on chasing "whales"- those who happily throw large amounts of money at illusions of progress- we collectively suffer.
That right there is exactly why I'm eyeing this thing. I have a lot of interest in both game development and animation (my entire rig is built for this), but don't want a Quadro-type card that's complete balls at gaming. Here's to hoping this one fits my tiny-ass niche perfectly.
 

Saulkar

Regular Member
Legacy
Sep 18, 2020
3,142
2
13
Country
Canuckistan
Callate said:
That doesn't mean I can't express dismay at a piece of hardware that seems to barely serve a purpose other than to cheat people with more money than sense
Unless you do CGI and are constantly running out of VRAM at 6gigs because you are constantly trying to paint and preview 4K (and soon 8K) textures!

FUCK!

I was seriously hoping that it would have 16gigs of memory. I passed up an older 16GB Firepro w9100 for about the same price of this card. However it has only half the raw horsepower and unlike games it scales almost linearly in a production environment.
 

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
8,407
0
0
This was inevitable, though i expected them to wait a bit longer to cash in on those 1080s a bit more.

I wonder if its going to be another workstation card or another X80ti for a premium. Looks like the latter.

Callate said:
I think Nvidia has kind of under-cut the argument for paying the ridiculous premium on the Titan with their rhetoric regarding the 1080. Sure, the new Titan probably out-performs it; so what? The capabilities of the 1080, eclipsing the [not all that] "old" Titan are likely to be all that any gamer needs for some time to come, even as Sony and Microsoft stumble over the issue of raising their respective platforms' capabilities. And the various flavors of VR are likely to hold back games' aspirations for more processor power as well.
Gamers dont buy Titans. Workstations buy Titans. Renderfarms buy Titans. People that care more about "having the best of the best" rather than actual performance buy titans. 970 was the most popular card with gamers and the 1070 is probably going to be the next one. Titans are their own niche and most of it has nothing to do with videogames.

Callate said:
Considering that two 980s working in SLI out-perform last generation's Titan X, there is little reason to believe that paired 1080s wouldn't do as much for this generations model. And if one can find them at MSRP, the price would be the same.
So all the problems of SLI for the same price as a single card at same speed. Looks like a shit deal to me.
 

Callate

New member
Dec 5, 2008
5,118
0
0
Strazdas said:
Gamers dont buy Titans. Workstations buy Titans. Renderfarms buy Titans. People that care more about "having the best of the best" rather than actual performance buy titans. 970 was the most popular card with gamers and the 1070 is probably going to be the next one. Titans are their own niche and most of it has nothing to do with videogames.
Those who are entirely uninterested in games would probably be better off waiting for the new line of Quadro cards, both of which offer more video memory than the Titan X2.

Callate said:
So all the problems of SLI for the same price as a single card at same speed. Looks like a shit deal to me.
Actually, the two 980s outperform the original Titan in most tests by between one-quarter and one-third. Whether that comparison is apt when it comes to the X2 and 1080s, I admittedly won't know until new benchmarks become available. But what I read suggests that the problems facing SLI- microstuttering in particular- have been largely eliminated in this generation. I'm certainly willing to listen if you've heard otherwise.

The other obvious problems are matters of power supply overhead, available PCI Express ports, cooling, and sheer real-estate within the case- but once one begins contemplating $1200 video cards, nit-picking over problems caused by choices in far less expensive components begins to seem a little silly. There may be someone out there who wants to put a Titan X2 in a micro-PC case he can easily pack off to a friend's house, but that seems an unusually small niche market.
 

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
8,407
0
0
Callate said:
Strazdas said:
Gamers dont buy Titans. Workstations buy Titans. Renderfarms buy Titans. People that care more about "having the best of the best" rather than actual performance buy titans. 970 was the most popular card with gamers and the 1070 is probably going to be the next one. Titans are their own niche and most of it has nothing to do with videogames.
Those who are entirely uninterested in games would probably be better off waiting for the new line of Quadro cards, both of which offer more video memory than the Titan X2.

Callate said:
So all the problems of SLI for the same price as a single card at same speed. Looks like a shit deal to me.
Actually, the two 980s outperform the original Titan in most tests by between one-quarter and one-third. Whether that comparison is apt when it comes to the X2 and 1080s, I admittedly won't know until new benchmarks become available. But what I read suggests that the problems facing SLI- microstuttering in particular- have been largely eliminated in this generation. I'm certainly willing to listen if you've heard otherwise.

The other obvious problems are matters of power supply overhead, available PCI Express ports, cooling, and sheer real-estate within the case- but once one begins contemplating $1200 video cards, nit-picking over problems caused by choices in far less expensive components begins to seem a little silly. There may be someone out there who wants to put a Titan X2 in a micro-PC case he can easily pack off to a friend's house, but that seems an unusually small niche market.
Quadro cards tend to be much more expensive though. They were as high as 3-4k dollars before competing Titans brought their price down. I dont doubt the new Quadro are going to be more expensive than this Titan. And 12 GB may just be enough for some of the uses for now.

Yes, im aware they theoretically outperformed the titan. But you alluded they are on same performance which is what i commented on.

SLI problems have not been elimited. The design style that made these problems so persisten were adressed and now it is actually possible to eliminate those problems, but it is still up to the individual software developers to implement all those features making SLI accessible experience. As we see in the world of videogames, due to SLI users being such a small demographic (less than 0.5% according to Nvidia estimates, though data is hard to come by), most developers dont bother of put bare minimum into SLI support and thus wont actually fix those problems. If anything i think someone like Rockstart or Ubisoft are going to try this since they tend to go for "we will find a technical solution even if it costs us years of developement" style of pushing the limits (and say what you want abut Ubisoft games but they are the pioneers in game technology utilization. A lot of techniques we take for granted now were pushed into mainstream by Assasin's Creed.
 

Callate

New member
Dec 5, 2008
5,118
0
0
Strazdas said:
Quadro cards tend to be much more expensive though. They were as high as 3-4k dollars before competing Titans brought their price down. I dont doubt the new Quadro are going to be more expensive than this Titan. And 12 GB may just be enough for some of the uses for now.

Yes, im aware they theoretically outperformed the titan. But you alluded they are on same performance which is what i commented on.

SLI problems have not been elimited. The design style that made these problems so persisten were adressed and now it is actually possible to eliminate those problems, but it is still up to the individual software developers to implement all those features making SLI accessible experience. As we see in the world of videogames, due to SLI users being such a small demographic (less than 0.5% according to Nvidia estimates, though data is hard to come by), most developers dont bother of put bare minimum into SLI support and thus wont actually fix those problems. If anything i think someone like Rockstart or Ubisoft are going to try this since they tend to go for "we will find a technical solution even if it costs us years of developement" style of pushing the limits (and say what you want abut Ubisoft games but they are the pioneers in game technology utilization. A lot of techniques we take for granted now were pushed into mainstream by Assasin's Creed.
Interesting. Thanks for the insights regarding SLI.