Nvidia announces RTX 4000 series - Promises big performance, even bigger prices

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The RTX 4080 12GB is being "unlaunched"

So we can probably expect the RTX 4080 12GB to return as the RTX 4070, but then I am curious as to how they end up pricing that. Surely they cant release a XX70 series card for the same £900 asking price, right?

- Narrator - "They can"
Translation: "Shit, we got caught out on our scam. Time to backpedal!"

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Ahh. Hmm.
You know for all nVidia are greedy pricks and have their heads well up their own arses and still claim to be smelling roses, I find this kind of weird. Because in spite of all that, they are some of the best engineers in the business for this sort of thing and it’s exactly the sort of issue that would appear on a top ten list of concerns for producing cards more power hungry than Emperor Palpatine.

It’s still their fuck up, but it is one I am deeply confused by.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Because in spite of all that, they are some of the best engineers in the business for this sort of thing and it’s exactly the sort of issue that would appear on a top ten list of concerns for producing cards more power hungry than Emperor Palpatine.
Apparently it's an Intel designed connector and AMD 7000 series will also be using it. Joy!

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Somehow I doubt the AMD 7000 series are going to be this level of thirsty.
Now, apparently, the melty connectors have scared them back to multiple 8pin connectors for their high end cards. This is what happens when you miss a few days of tech news... oh yeah, the 7800XT and 7900XT basleine models were supposedly going to be around 450W.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Now, apparently, the melty connectors have scared them back to multiple 8pin connectors for their high end cards. This is what happens when you miss a few days of tech news... oh yeah, the 7800XT and 7900XT basleine models were supposedly going to be around 450W.
I mean, these guys are aware that a standard wall outlet in the US can't safely deliver a continuous load of more than about 1500W, right? Do they think that gamers are going to have an electrician come and install a dedicated power line just for their computers?

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
My main fear is the proximity of these steadily growing power supplies to my body honestly. Like, I've worked near electrical systems a bit when I was a teenager so I understand that a breaker box isn't gonna come at me with a knife out of nowhere, but I do feel that being within a meter of a lot of juice that's constantly going for a couple hours a day is a bit different. The probability of something just going wrong when I'm right there feels like it's higher.

The worst I've ever felt was 300 volts. I don't know the amperage but I'm still alive so it must have been fairly low, and all I can say is I had to have me a sit down after that. It's left me gunshy about having this shit near me.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I know what I'm getting for a new PC.

My aim is to get a PC that can play Total War: Warhammer 3 at optimum performance.

I want to be able to have 5000 number of models present in the Battles and the framerate won't dip below 60.

And fast loading times.
Well isn’t that a coincidence, because you will likely also need 5000 number of dollars to make that happen.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
You know for all nVidia are greedy pricks and have their heads well up their own arses and still claim to be smelling roses, I find this kind of weird. Because in spite of all that, they are some of the best engineers in the business for this sort of thing and it’s exactly the sort of issue that would appear on a top ten list of concerns for producing cards more power hungry than Emperor Palpatine.

It’s still their fuck up, but it is one I am deeply confused by.
They won’t be satisfied until they create the atom bomb of graphics solutions.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Remember the $900 12gb 4080 that Nvidia quietly unlaunched? They relaunched it as the 4070ti. But $100 price cut. Still $800 for a f'ing 70 card tho.