Nvidia is Releasing its Own Fallout 4 Mod Titled Vault 1080 This Friday

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nvidia is Releasing its Own Fallout 4 Mod Titled Vault 1080 This Friday

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1346/1346954.jpgOne of the newest mods for Fallout 4 is being developed by the folks at Nvidia.

When it comes to showing off new graphics tech, you can't beat having a new game to use it in. Nvidia is bringing its newest, " super-advanced lighting and shadows" to a brand-new Fallout 4 mod named Vault 1080.

Vault 1080 is being developed in-house at Nvidia as a showcase, and is coming to Bethesda.net tomorrow. It features Vault 1080, which is similar in size and scope to other vaults you've encountered in the Commonwealth. There will be a brand new questline to complete, and plenty of Vault occupants to encounter. Nvidia describes the vault as,

"It's a Fallout vault like you've never seen before. It's certainly taken its toll on its occupants. They've become a congregation that embraces the darkness and sickness, and they've done it - so they believe - to survive. They're not the friendliest bunch. But is the whole thing built on lies? The truth is deep within Vault 1080, through a whole lot of fearful mystery. Find it and decide for yourself whether the monsters deserve their salvation... or not."

Vault 1080 is coming to PC via Bethesda.net tomorrow, September 2.

[gallery=6450]

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
Matthew Lynch said:
Is there any word on if this mod will come to consoles in any form?
Looking just at those pictures, if it does, it'll have to be heavily dialed down. Just the fog and lighting effects would choke the shit out of the Xbox One and PS4.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Oh, cool. The Nuka-World DLC got me back into playing, so I'll try it out. Probably won't be able to until Sunday though.[footnote]Australia's early timezone usually means releaseDate+1 and I'm busy Saturday. :([/footnote]

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Matthew Lynch said:
I doubt it. The consoles use amd hardware so I don't think nvidia would even try to make a console compatible version. That and I don't think the hardware overall is strong enough to make anything close to what they're aiming for.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
The lighting in these photos looks much better than vanilla FO4 (which is shit). I'm looking forward to it. I wonder if the lighting will be used throughout the game, or if it'll be limited to only the new vault.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Matthew Lynch said:
Doubt it. PC people love hoarding things to themselves.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Matthew Lynch said:
There's no word on it yet, but I would be kind of surprised if it does. It's obviously intended to be a mod that shows off graphic cards - specifically Nvidia's lighting effects. Since both consoles use AMD cards, I doubt Nvidia is going to be falling all over itself to show them off.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Godbeams - the new lensflare. Why blind your audience with fake 1980s camera effects when you can wash out scenery with fake lightbeams?

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
Built
ffronw said:
But is the whole thing built on lies? The truth is deep within Vault 1080, through a whole lot of fearful mystery."
From the sounds of it it should've been called Vault 970!
Vault 3.5Gb?
Anyone?

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Lillowh said:
Built
ffronw said:
But is the whole thing built on lies? The truth is deep within Vault 1080, through a whole lot of fearful mystery."
From the sounds of it it should've been called Vault 970!
Vault 3.5Gb?
Anyone?
I found both very good.

I'm wondering about that nobody here sees this as a atmosphere/lore-breaking mod. 1080 vaults?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Charcharo said:
Do you need a 4k monitor to see 4K textures, ehh ? :)
I cannot tell if you are being serious or not but no. You do not even need a 4K monitor to see 8K or 16K textures (I am an intermediate CGI artist so I know what I am talking about)

A texture is wrapped around the entire model so the higher the pixel density the clearer it will appear on the model. It is for this reason that it is not uncommon to have a separate texture for each individual limb, the torso, and head. Imagine pelting a bear and trying to fit that skin on a perfect square just big enough. You will find that there is a lot of empty space in between the limbs, so on an so forth and stretching the pelt to fit the square perfectly would not work as it will compress and distort the texture. If you were to slice each limb off and fit it into a square, covering up more overall real-estate, you would be able to work with lower resolutions as more pixels fit overall on the mesh. However, if you are working with a large model (like a building or a boss monster) then you would require much larger resolution textures anyways since it means the pixel density is more spread out combined with being able to get a much closer look at whatever it is given its relative size to your character.

Each square could be 1K all the way up to 4K in a game depending upon its relative size and importance. Since it is wrapped around a model, you will not see the full pixel density of a 4K texture, only what is facing you and depending upon the efficiency of unwrapping, the model will affect the overall pixel distribution and thus how crisp it will look.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
RaikuFA said:
Matthew Lynch said:
Such as? High res textures? Full mod support/community patches? Proprietary tech like Gameworks and TressFX? Cause there's a good reason stuff like that is kept on the other side of the fence.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Charcharo said:
Thats not how it works and you know it.

RaikuFA said:
Matthew Lynch said:
Yes, all PC gamers are running a secret conspiracy to keep you specifically from getting your hands on our mods.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Strazdas said:
Charcharo said:

RaikuFA said:
Matthew Lynch said:
Yes, all PC gamers are running a secret conspiracy to keep you specifically from getting your hands on our mods.
shush, im bringing your spilling of pc gaming secrets up at the next international "we hate consoles pc's rule conference"

seriously though they might bring it to x-box with the settings turned down, but as far as i know no playstation mods have been released yet

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Strazdas said:
Charcharo said:

RaikuFA said:
Matthew Lynch said:
No, PC people just love acting like assholes when it comes to people trying to learn how to be more PC savvy.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
RaikuFA said:
No, PC people just love acting like assholes when it comes to people trying to learn how to be more PC savvy.
Nah, ive seen quote the opposite, people going out of their way to teach others how to be more PC savvy.