Nvidia RTX 30XX series thread: 3070 Ti and 3080 Ti paper launch on June 3rd

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Anyway, if you don't want to sit through all that stuff, here's a quick and dirt rundown:
  • RTX 3070 8gb DDR6x ($499): supposedly slightly faster than a RTX 2080ti
  • RTX 3080 10gb DDR6x ($699): supposedly twice as fast as a RTX 2080 (early benchmarks from DF show a more modest average ~70% performance increase)
  • RTX 3090 24gb DDR6x ($1499): supposedly ~50% faster than a RTX Titan
Note that the performance increases mentioned above are Nvidia's claims, hence the supposedly. The first hands-on with the 3080 by Digital Foundry seem to indicate the actual gains compared to the 20xx series will be smaller than the espoused 100% increase, looking realistically at a more modest 60-80%, tho in some cases that claimed doubling of performance is actually achieved. That's still an impressive showing, especially if you include other advances like better ray-tracing performance and further refinement of DLSS. Tho we'll have to wait for more extensive benchmarking by a plurality of outlets to get the bigger picture.

But I guess the biggest surprise is the pricing, which admittedly is still pricy (I mean, it is Nvidia), but more reasonable compared to the grossly inflated cost of the 20xx series. That 3080 is IMO actually looking pretty good for that new build I'd been considering for late next year. I guess the ball is now in AMD's camp to deliver a more appealing lineup with Big Navi / RDNA2.

Last edited:

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I might consider upgrading to the 3050 when it comes out, but only if it can do 60fps on 1080p Very High/Ultra settings and isn't too power hungry. I've only got a 450W PSU and would rather not have to replace it just to get a modest increase in graphics.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Why does that man have so many rubber spatulas?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Dammit, I got a 2080 last year, the 3080 is tempting for that price.

Reactions: gorfias

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I’m running a GTX1080 so any of these would be significant gains I think.
I'm still running a 980ti. Thing is a champ that can still net me some good results on recent games, but with the new consoles on the horizon and new tech like ray-tracing and DLSS looking to become standard, it's about time for an upgrade. A rather extensive one, cuz the new cards are PCie 4.0 which my current mobo doesn't support, meaning I'm also looking at a new CPU, so I might as well do a full new build. C'est la vie.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm still running a 980ti. Thing is a champ that can still net me some good results on recent games, but with the new consoles on the horizon and new tech like ray-tracing and DLSS looking to become standard, it's about time for an upgrade. A rather extensive one, cuz the new cards are PCie 4.0 which my current mobo doesn't support, meaning I'm also looking at a new CPU, so I might as well do a full new build. C'est la vie.
If you want PCI-E 4.0 support now I think you have to build a Gen3 Ryzen - apparently my R9 3900XT and paired motherboard can support a single PCI-E 4.0 device card. So I’m quids in - especially since I’ve no interest in SLI or other multi GPU builds.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Dammit, I got a 2080 last year, the 3080 is tempting for that price.
There's always a new shiny card around the corner. The 2080 is still a great card and it's probably still got another 2 generations before it starts showing its age.

I just built a new system with a 5700XT. Would have loved to wait for the 3000 series cards, but I didn't really have a choice, I needed a new computer and couldn't wait 6 months to a year especally with the uncertainty of pricing and covid related shortages.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
If you want PCI-E 4.0 support now I think you have to build a Gen3 Ryzen - apparently my R9 3900XT and paired motherboard can support a single PCI-E 4.0 device card. So I’m quids in - especially since I’ve no interest in SLI or other multi GPU builds.
Yeh, I was planning on going AMD for my next CPU anyway. Not now tho, sometime late next year. By that time Zen 3 should be released, possibly PCie 5.0, which should open up more mobo options.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
There's always a new shiny card around the corner. The 2080 is still a great card and it's probably still got another 2 generations before it starts showing its age.

I just built a new system with a 5700XT. Would have loved to wait for the 3000 series cards, but I didn't really have a choice, I needed a new computer and couldn't wait 6 months to a year especally with the uncertainty of pricing and covid related shortages.
Yeah, I mean it runs games really well, but the specific card does one thing that really annoys me. Since I got a 1440p monitor on certain games the card really spins up and the fans are really loud. Like I had no problems at all running 1080 at 144hz, but doing that at 1440 ends up being annoying.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Beats my RX 480 8 GB all out still. https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+980+Ti&id=3218
I can typically get 60 FPS at 1080p. Hope to keep it alive for about 2 more years.
When I do upgrade, the real thing will be to also get a great monitor. I'm still gaming on my main PC rig plugged into a 39" Vizio 1080p LED TV set so the great card may not even show its real power.

Loved your video. Something to be excited about.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Loved your video. Something to be excited about.
I can recommend Digital Foundry as a great resource for anyone interested in gaming graphics tech, particularly on PC. These guys know their stuff and for what that's worth, I trust their judgment. They usually do a good job of explaining things so that even if you're not that tech-savvy, you still walk away with a reasonable idea of what to expect.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I might consider upgrading to the 3050 when it comes out, but only if it can do 60fps on 1080p Very High/Ultra settings and isn't too power hungry. I've only got a 450W PSU and would rather not have to replace it just to get a modest increase in graphics.
Actually, given the higher wattage requirements and the change to PCIe 4.0, I might as well wait until I'm gainfully employed and just scratch build a new PC and give this one to my parents or younger brother.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Actually, given the higher wattage requirements and the change to PCIe 4.0, I might as well wait until I'm gainfully employed and just scratch build a new PC and give this one to my parents or younger brother.
True, the new cards promise a big performance leap, but at the cost of being power hungry. The 3070 draws almost as much as what used to be xx80ti and Titan territory, and it only goes up from there.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
True, the new cards promise a big performance leap, but at the cost of being power hungry. The 3070 draws almost as much as what used to be xx80ti and Titan territory, and it only goes up from there.
And this ladies and gentlemen, is one very good reason to overspec your PSU.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
And this ladies and gentlemen, is one very good reason to overspec your PSU.
Aye, if there's one thing you should never cheap out on, it's your PSU. Always get the best you can afford and always leave headroom.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
It's not getting what you want, but wanting what you've got :)
1599303123708.png

Reactions: Chimpzy