Nvidia RTX 30XX series thread: 3070 Ti and 3080 Ti paper launch on June 3rd

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
And let's not talk about people who relatively recently bought a 2080ti. The promises to be 3070 roughly on par, at less than half the cost.
That's just the way it always is, tho, ain't it? New graphics generation every year or two, always around a 40-70% performance increase.

I'm just glad that the prices have settled better. Maybe in a next generation I'll actually pick a new card up; my 1060 is still running most games I play at 1440p fine, if not with all the sliders maxed out. Only real reason to get a new card is for that raytracing, and I just dont pick up enough new games where that would be a factor yet.

Reactions: gorfias

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It's not getting what you want, but wanting what you've got :)
Welcome to technology. I remember getting a CPU right before a minor price war between amd and intel that ended up cutting the cost of it in half. You will always have to worry about something better coming out and even possibly being cheaper because manufacturing tech is complicated.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Welcome to technology. I remember getting a CPU right before a minor price war between amd and intel that ended up cutting the cost of it in half. You will always have to worry about something better coming out and even possibly being cheaper because manufacturing tech is complicated.
You can never keep up with it. It's fun to try. I cannot help but watch all of this stuff going on and fantasize about my next purchase but remind myself not to look back. When I want something and get it, appreciate it as long as it does what you got it for, even if the price drops right after purchase, or something better comes out at the same price a bit later. That's just going to happen.
Doesn't keep my RX 480 8 GB from doing 60 FPS on a 1080P monitor on most games at high settings.
BTW: This has been happening to consoles since forever as well. How many of us paid full price just before a price drop?
I did think that picture might amuse though.

EDIT: This is really a thing

Last edited:

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
And let's not talk about people who relatively recently bought a 2080ti. The promises to be 3070 roughly on par, at less than half the cost.
I is one of those people...I was assuming that the 30xx series would be comparable in price. I was wrong. Damn.

Dunno if I see the need to upgrade to the 3080 yet though until I feel like shelling another grand for a 4K 144hz monitor...and with the PS5 coming soon too. I hate and love tech.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I dunno, $1,000 for a full 4K monitor at 144hz is pretty good. Especially if it’s 27” or above.
Yeah, I've been checking prices. Ugh, guess that's another upgrade going on the backburner.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I is one of those people...I was assuming that the 30xx series would be comparable in price. I was wrong. Damn.

Dunno if I see the need to upgrade to the 3080 yet though until I feel like shelling another grand for a 4K 144hz monitor...and with the PS5 coming soon too. I hate and love tech.
I usually wait for the price drop b4 I run out and upgrade. Sales will come eventually. I am not bothered by buying last years tech when new ones come out.. but then again I pay cash for my cars at auction too so it bothers me MORE to spend too much than it does to use last year's model. :)

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Welp, looks like the miners are already hoarding up 3080s.
In short, prepare for price gouging and depleted stocks for the next year or so.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Welp, looks like the miners are already hoarding up 3080s.
In short, prepare for price gouging and depleted stocks for the next year or so.
Oh you filthy fucking bastards. Okay, there’s another thing to add to the list if I ever get the Infinity Gauntlet; cryptocurrency.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Oh you filthy fucking bastards. Okay, there’s another thing to add to the list if I ever get the Infinity Gauntlet; cryptocurrency.
No worries. They'll dump them back on the market, flooding it when they are done with them. You'll see used ones plummet in price! (Kidding! Don't buy a video card that has been used for mining).

Weasel Biggs

Sep 7, 2020
Country
Canada
Aaaaand I just built a 2080 Super rig, literally days before this announcement.

Oh, well. Most offerings on the market still tend to expect something like a 1080 or its AMD equivalent for their Recommended specs - I don't see anything motivating my switching to a 3080 in the immediate. We'll see in a few years, I guess.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Man there are some crazy ass deals going on right now. 2080Ti cards from as low as $1100 on pccasegear.com.au

Yes I know it sounds like a shill post but I don’t care - a good deal is a good deal.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Damn, this has me feeling a little nervous over how the rumored 3080 super with 20GB of VRAM will weather the storm later this year. From what I have read on the Nvidia forums, which are hilariously in open revolt, they did not even have captcha to stop or at least slow the bots down.

Honestly though, the 10GB of VRAM just feels out of place on such a powerful card, especially productivity uses as I am personally knocking hard against the 8GB of VRAM on my card at 4K. But with such a beastly performance uplift:

It makes those cards all the more tantalizing. They just need more freaking VRAM!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Apparently the 3090 is pretty overhyped and only 10% faster (or less in some games) than the 3080 at a hefty premium. If you're planning on getting one of the 3000 series cards don't bother splurging on the 3090, the 3080 is more than good enough.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Apparently the 3090 is pretty overhyped and only 10% faster (or less in some games) than the 3080 at a hefty premium. If you're planning on getting one of the 3000 series cards don't bother splurging on the 3090, the 3080 is more than good enough.

Frankly they're all more than good enough, even a 3050 (if they release one, I haven't looked into it) is likely to max out anything running at 1080p and perhaps even 1440p, and 4k performance is beyond the needs of nearly everybody.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

The 3090 stikes me as the kind of card someone gets when they spend their days on AutoCAD and their nights on Doom Eternal.