Nvidia's New Monster Titan X Costs a Thousand Dollars

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Houseman said:
A thousand dollars? Did it go down in price?

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/16354449919173124808?q=titan+gpu&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS547US547&es_sm=122&biw=1920&bih=955&ei=2_AIVeKbJJezyATo1YHoAQ&ved=0CIIFEKYrMAM

Different card that's the Titan Z it's two Titan Black's on a single card.

Nvidia Titan GPU's

Titan
Titan Black
Titan Z
Titan X (the one in the article)

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Hazy992 said:
Does it have one GPU or is it in SLI like some of their other monster cards in the past? Like is 12GB actually 12GB or is it two GPUs with 6GB?
Single GPU card the biggest ever 601mm² it's huge (from a 300mm wafer you will only get 110 at best) Intel's $1000 CPU's are only 356mm² (so 190 chips from a 300mm wafer).

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
This stuff is getting a little rediculous. As it is, the most expensive bleeding edge cards will let you max settings on the 6 games that utilize that much hardware in 1-2 years, then you're looking at performance decreases because graphics engines are so bloated.

It's gotten to the point where you can spend 300-400 bucks, and still not be able to make all the visuals all pretty-pretty.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I might get one to add to my two Titan Blacks down the road. If ever I am GPU rendering and run out of V-Ram I am hoping that those frames could be passed onto the Titan X instead of the whole operation crashing. That would be a neat plugin.

themyrmidon

Sep 28, 2009
EndlessSporadic said:
And the floodgates have opened for the ignorant asshats who think this is a product aimed at consumers.
This is so true that it bothers me anytime anyone mentions the Titan line. This is not a gaming card, it is a home computing GPU that also happens to be really good at playing games. If I wanted gaming performance I would buy another 970. If I want to fold the hell out of some proteins, the Titan X would be my first choice.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/76/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-4k-surround-6480x3840/index.html

Update to the article I linked to yesterday, Looks like the titan X is as powerful as 2 980's in SLI, and yet can still be brought to it's knees.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
MercurySteam said:
So we're under the impression that current games can't fully utilise extreme hardware, even at 4K and 120Hz? Seriously?
Yes, mostly because current games are optimized like complete ass. A lot of them fail to maintain a consistent framerate at 1080p on some of the highest-end hardware currently available. Throwing stronger hardware at it is just a band-aid over the issue, not a solution. Not that this is the first time this has ever happened to PC gaming, and it'll likely sort itself out with time. But until then, the hardware inflation is going to really screw over people who prefer to game on PC but have extremely limited budgets.

EDIT: If your definition of "extreme" only covers PCs that cost multiple thousands of dollars, though, then I do concede the point at least a little.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
MercurySteam said:
Strazdas said:
From my understanding the Titan Z is the most power/price efficient way even at 3000 dollars for this. GPUs are great at number crunching.
Unless you needed the extra 6GB of VRAM, the Titan Z was a colossal waste of money. For solely compute purposes, you would have been better off saving $1K of that money and getting two Titan Blacks or spending the same and getting a third.
Ech. you clearly misunderstand. When i meant computation purposes i did not mean videogames. i meant industrial render farms. The farms that bought these 3k cards like candies because they offered better performance than the 30k alternatives. TitanZ was meant for render cards and not for consumers, hence why even a single Black could oputperform it in videogames. Different purposes, its just that there were uneducated people that thought it was ever meant to play games on.

rotkiv

May 15, 2011
themyrmidon said:
EndlessSporadic said:
And the floodgates have opened for the ignorant asshats who think this is a product aimed at consumers.
This is so true that it bothers me anytime anyone mentions the Titan line. This is not a gaming card, it is a home computing GPU that also happens to be really good at playing games. If I wanted gaming performance I would buy another 970. If I want to fold the hell out of some proteins, the Titan X would be my first choice.
This is true for the old titans, titan x is a pure gaming card, it have the same double-precision performance as the 980.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
MercurySteam said:
So we're under the impression that current games can't fully utilise extreme hardware, even at 4K and 120Hz? Seriously?
Yes, mostly because current games are optimized like complete ass. A lot of them fail to maintain a consistent framerate at 1080p on some of the highest-end hardware currently available. Throwing stronger hardware at it is just a band-aid over the issue, not a solution. Not that this is the first time this has ever happened to PC gaming, and it'll likely sort itself out with time. But until then, the hardware inflation is going to really screw over people who prefer to game on PC but have extremely limited budgets.

EDIT: If your definition of "extreme" only covers PCs that cost multiple thousands of dollars, though, then I do concede the point at least a little.
It's no secret that the software is where the most improvements need to be made and lazy console ports coupled with games that take almost a year to fully optimise aren't helping but if you go and look at reviews, the Titan X can maintain a minimum of a 30FPS average on some of the highest demanding games to come out over the last six months, on ultra setting at 4K which is damn impressive for a single card that still has more room to be optimised with drivers.

And hardware inflation isn't really going to affect people buying mid range GPUs - it's where the majority of their market is and they know it, whilst on their top end cards they can sell them at their chosen price point until AMD comes out with something to challenge them.

Strazdas said:
MercurySteam said:
Strazdas said:
From my understanding the Titan Z is the most power/price efficient way even at 3000 dollars for this. GPUs are great at number crunching.
Unless you needed the extra 6GB of VRAM, the Titan Z was a colossal waste of money. For solely compute purposes, you would have been better off saving $1K of that money and getting two Titan Blacks or spending the same and getting a third.
Ech. you clearly misunderstand. When i meant computation purposes i did not mean videogames. i meant industrial render farms. The farms that bought these 3k cards like candies because they offered better performance than the 30k alternatives. TitanZ was meant for render cards and not for consumers, hence why even a single Black could oputperform it in videogames. Different purposes, its just that there were uneducated people that thought it was ever meant to play games on.
I know that computing doesn't = videogames mate. No company in their right mind is going to buy a Titan Z over a compute oriented card like a Tesla for the simple reason that's what they're designed for and they can make enterprise deal with Nvidia if they buy a boatload of them. People here need to get it into their heads that all the Titan cards were part of the GeForce series, which is their lineup of gaming GPUs and were marketed towards enthusiast gamers who were willing to pay the most for the best single card solution. It's no secret that at the heart of every Titan is hardware that was never built for gaming but the cards themselves are designed, marketed and sold to gamers.

Say otherwise on a respectable hardware forum and you'd be laughed out of town.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
MercurySteam said:
Strazdas said:
I know that computing doesn't = videogames mate. No company in their right mind is going to buy a Titan Z over a compute oriented card like a Tesla for the simple reason that's what they're designed for and they can make enterprise deal with Nvidia if they buy a boatload of them. People here need to get it into their heads that all the Titan cards were part of the GeForce series, which is their lineup of gaming GPUs and were marketed towards enthusiast gamers who were willing to pay the most for the best single card solution. It's no secret that at the heart of every Titan is hardware that was never built for gaming but the cards themselves are designed, marketed and sold to gamers.

Say otherwise on a respectable hardware forum and you'd be laughed out of town.
And yet companies gobbled up Titan X because it was designed for computation and not videogames. And it offered better bang for your buck than Teslas if your into CUDA programming. TitanX was never meant to be in a gaming PC.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Strazdas said:
And yet companies gobbled up Titan X because it was designed for computation and not videogames. And it offered better bang for your buck than Teslas if your into CUDA programming. TitanX was never meant to be in a gaming PC.
Nvidia gimped the Titan X in double precision workloads, may as well buy a GTX 980 then.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
MercurySteam said:
Strazdas said:
Nvidia gimped the Titan X in double precision workloads, may as well buy a GTX 980 then.
While true, 980 wasnt around back then.