NYPD officer accused of spying, arrested for allegedly acting as agent of China

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Accusations include
Trying to help make connection between PRC officials and NYPD members by trying to get PRC members to be allowed at NYPD events.
Also monitoring and reporting on actions of people from Tibet in the USA to try and help the PRC crack down on opposition
Wire Fraud
Making false statements
Trying to obstruct official proceedings
Offering non public info on NYPD internal workings to the PRC
Trying to develop an informant network within the Tibetan community in the USA.

FBI Assistant Director of New York William Sweeney Jr. released a statement on Angwang:

"This is the definition of an insider threat - as alleged, Mr. Angwang operated on behalf of a foreign government; lied to gain his clearance, and used his position as an NYPD police officer to aid the Chinese government's subversive and illegal attempts to recruit intelligence sources. The FBI is committed to stopping hostile foreign governments from infiltrating our institutions, and we will not tolerate the behavior of those who willingly violate their oath to the United States, and covertly work against their fellow citizens. We want to thank the NYPD for its extraordinary partnership on this investigation."

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
How big is the Tibetan community in NY?

This seems like a whole bunch of effort spent for not many people. But maybe I'm underestimating something here

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
How big is the Tibetan community in NY?
It's not about how many there are, or how influential they may be. It's about the Chinese Communist Party's mania for control.

If we've learnt anything in the last few years, it's that the CCP thinks it has the right to tell other countries and their citizens how they should think and talk about China.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Really hoped this would be funnier, but this is honestly very normal spy shit. Kinda sad.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I thought this was particularly hilarious:

'One PRC official is believed to have been assigned to the "China Association for Preservation and Development of Tibetan Culture,"'

This I'm guessing is the Tibetan culture which is to be a) preserved as museum curios and b) developed into non-existence through homoegeneity with the Han majority.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sorta surprised they aren't more "Well, what about the US and Hawaii?" about Tibet. Not that I'm saying it's a good justification, just one I'd expect to come up.