Obama calls for mandatory government service.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Decoy Doctorpus post=18.68581.633563 said:
I think it's the swiss that do something very similar and it's worked out wonderfully for them.
Thats the bunny, great cheese, great chocolate.

America, how can you lose.

Audemas

Aug 12, 2008
I think there has to be some psychological difference between an American and a Swiss. Although most males around the age of 19 own guns, they have a low rate of crime and gun violence. But in America, if we that were to happen I'm almost certain the rate would rise.

DeadlyFred

Aug 13, 2008
Well, let's be sure to point out that "military service" doesn't necessarily mean "getting sent to a hotzone to shoot people". Peace-time military service is pretty mundane stuff and basically amounts to training, drills and various community service sorts of projects. You'd get called up to help out with any kinds of natural disaster relief efforts, possibly charitable events and that kind of thing.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Audemas post=18.68581.633604 said:
I think there has to be some psychological difference between an American and a Swiss. Although most males around the age of 19 own guns, they have a low rate of crime and gun violence. But in America, if we that were to happen I'm almost certain the rate would rise.
Surely the military-infused discipline would counteract this.

Im just saying, you wouldn't give guns to a man you were not sure could use them responsibly. Those who cant would be discharged, and would probably get their hands on a gun anyway. So what's lost? you have the same nut-jobs as always, but as well as that you have a bunch of disciplined, fit citizens.

I cant see this ending poorly, but i can see varying levels of success.

Audemas

Aug 12, 2008
I understand completely but if one of those Nut-Jobs gets a high rank and has his own squad don't you think that would spell bad news. All I know is that if an everyday citizen gets the training of a marine or soldier to say they wouldn't use the skills they learned is complete crap. And what if gangs were to start, violence would never cease. Think of LA now but with the training of a marine. I imagine riots, and bodies everywhere. And for someone to say they have never abused power whether it would be a high rank in your work or skill in marksmanship is complete crap because we are meant to abuse power as a species. You look at people like Alexander the Great or Hitler. Look at what they did with power. Now to give such power to ordinary people...I don't know.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
I'm suprised noone's up in arms about all this. I know I would hate it if they brought it to Australia. I'd protest not to or make up some excuse to be let out. No way would I bother doing any mandotery government service. I'd rather go to college and enjoy life not being forced tro do crap I don't want to.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Audemas post=18.68581.633670 said:
I understand completely but if one of those Nut-Jobs gets a high rank and has his own squad don't you think that would spell bad news. All I know is that if an everyday citizen gets the training of a marine or soldier to say they wouldn't use the skills they learned is complete crap. And what if gangs were to start, violence would never cease. Think of LA now but with the training of a marine. I imagine riots, and bodies everywhere. And for someone to say they have never abused power whether it would be a high rank in your work or skill in marksmanship is complete crap because we are meant to abuse power as a species. You look at people like Alexander the Great or Hitler. Look at what they did with power. Now to give such power to ordinary people...I don't know.
Yes! and GTA4 will make children kill their parents! It's all so simple!

PurpleRain post=18.68581.633758 said:
I'm suprised noone's up in arms about all this. I know I would hate it if they brought it to Australia. I'd protest not to or make up some excuse to be let out. No way would I bother doing any mandotery government service. I'd rather go to college and enjoy life not being forced tro do crap I don't want to.
Are you sure? i'm willing to bet we might find some merit in it if we were to try it.

Bulletinmybrain

Jun 22, 2008
You miss the point though, Everybody would have said training. Still getting the guns would be a little expensive/difficult also. m4 customs, and ak's arn't cheap.

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
Decoy Doctorpus post=18.68581.633563 said:
I think it's the swiss that do something very similar and it's worked out wonderfully for them.
They also had a referendum on the issue and decided they still wanted it.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Kwil post=18.68581.633639 said:
More an environmental difference, I would think.
Switzerland doesn't fetishize guns. Everybody has one, everybody is trained in its use. It's a tool, nothing more.

Switzerland also has far more significant social support. Most gun crime is committed by gangs. Gangs occur because youth feel disenfranchised and do not see much hope a decent life in their future, thus they need to band together. Purely evolutionary instinct in action.

Also, remember that, being neutral, the swiss military rarely (never?) attacks anyone outside their borders. I imagine that being secure in that knowledge makes the prospect of military service much more palatable.
Yah, but they're badass anyways. They guard the Pope.

I'll bet mandatory service doesn't mean everyone's military in any event. It just means that we're all trained to help keep infrastructure going in a crisis. Like "engineers over here, nuclear scientists over here, and people who failed their psychological examination, please pick up a weapon." Besides, forcing your average joe into military service has traditionally had poor results when push comes to shove (ie. they break and run at the first sign of danger).

PS, judging from some of the comments at the bottom of that article, what the fuck is that blog? Is it for people who have a tenuous grasp (at best) on modern politics?

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
I like it. I'm hoping he'll let people choose between, like, twelve months militairy or eighteen months civic service. That'd be great.

Then, he just needs to fix up welfare and bingo, bango, American Golden Age.

Eiseman

Jul 23, 2008
I'm sorry, but that is just terrible of you to think that way. Wait, no I'm not sorry, that's just awful period. Never mind this hypothetical "Nut Job" who apparently needs to be taught by the government how to shoot a gun before he's motivated enough to try and kill a man. You think the big message from military service is "guns and how to kill people?" What about teamwork, self-esteem, courage, honor, and all those other "good citizen" attributes they teach you when you serve?

I want an explanation before I go on, so I don't make a fool of myself.

EDIT: New quote.

HobbesMkii post=18.68581.633806 said:
Kwil post=18.68581.633639 said:
PS, judging from some of the comments at the bottom of that article, what the fuck is that blog? Is it for people who have a tenuous grasp (at best) on modern politics?
Welcome to every (popular) blog on the Internet. If blogs were living, breathing entities, then comments would be their excrement.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
Mandatory military service is unlikely; the US military highly values the morale of its forces, even going so far as to consider them one of the primary causes of its effectiveness. The use of conscripts is considered devastating for morale. So in order for there to be a draft, Congress must authorize it and the President must ignore the stern recommendation of his Secretary of Defense and order the use of conscripts.

Not that compulsory military service has been universally detrimental to modern democracies. Israel, for example, has compulsory military service for all able-bodied citizens, and Switzerland has something similar. However, I would venture that neither of those nations have the unique challenges in maintaining morale that would face the United States' military. Nevertheless, those concerned about the possibility of such an occurrence might want to look into the rationale and consequences of these countries' decisions.

This has been an educational post. Have a nice day.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
This kind of topic gets dragged up in the UK every year or so. The strongest objections usually come from the armed forces themselves.

Cpt. Red

Jul 24, 2008
In Sweden we have mandatory military service for the men (women must apply). But that's one year of training and nothing more... If someone wants to go and help outside one can apply for it. But this doesn't mean that every male goes through training only that every male that obviously shouldn't be in the military gets to go and be reviewed and if they are good enough they go through the training...
And on how this effects our performance out in the world it seems to be positive... The only real fiasco lately was when, some time ago, a Swedish commander didn't report a French commander when he was having a fake execution on some prisoner... Even though they didn have a talk and it never happened again...