Obsidian Entertainment To Collaborate on Wheel of Time Games

Xanadeas

Oct 19, 2008
I still need to pick up The Gathering Storm myself... I've love the Wheel of Time series since I started reading it back in high school. A game just sounds awesome.. Especially if there's an MMO. <3

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I wonder...if there's an MMO, would that mean players might be able to play channelers?

And if so, would the MMO be set before or after Winter's Heart?

Xanadeas said:
I still need to pick up The Gathering Storm myself... I've love the Wheel of Time series since I started reading it back in high school. A game just sounds awesome.. Especially if there's an MMO. <3
Do it! Book 12 is incredible. If I had any doubts about Sanderson's ability to continue the series, Egwene's chapters evaporated (then ionized) them.

Dirty Apple said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: forget Jordan, and move onto Martin. You'll love it, I will stake my geek guarantee on it.
It was fine when you were just saying why you, personally, dropped the series.

But these, sir, are fightin' words. I may have to respond with balefire.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
NeutralDrow said:
I wonder...if there's an MMO, would that mean players might be able to play channelers?

I see what you're talking about, being an Ashaman would be sweet.

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
This could be interesting, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that WoT's story wasn't actually that interesting. I never made it past the sixth book.

On the other hand, I made it to the sixth book so there's something there at least.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Okay I don't care what everyone says. Yes, I was pissed off at KOTOR 2's ending, but my god, I fucking love Obsidian's storytelling.

KOTOR 2 was an awesome game, on par with the first one. The fact that I now have a mod that completes it the way it was meant to be is all the better.

But Star Wars aside, this looks really cool. I haven't personally read the Wheel of Time series, but my friend really enjoys it. I should tell him about this.

Obsidian, I fucking love your games.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
A true Wheel of Time game would basically involve the player killing the final boss and then finding out "wait... you didn't actually kill him because of ; now sit through a two hour cutscene packed with teen angst and self denial before you kill him again. Rinse and repeat.

Xanadeas

Oct 19, 2008
NeutralDrow said:

Xanadeas said:
Do it! Book 12 is incredible. If I had any doubts about Sanderson's ability to continue the series, Egwene's chapters evaporated (then ionized) them.

Dirty Apple said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: forget Jordan, and move onto Martin. You'll love it, I will stake my geek guarantee on it.

Mmm, but getting the book involves going out into public... T_T

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Xanadeas said:
NeutralDrow said:

Xanadeas said:

Dirty Apple said:

Mmm, but getting the book involves going out into public... T_T
By the time Egwene has <color=white>half the tower convinced she's the true Amyrlin and most of the other half at least hating Elaida enough to consider it, it'll be worth the momentary pain of sunlight and human attention.

By the end of that particular plot thread, you'd be willing to endure a week of exposure to see the next book...or maybe that's just me.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
carpathic said:
Maybe this wont suck as much as the original WOT game.

Or make me want to dig up Robert Jordan's corpse and punch it for not finishing the FRIGGIN series before he died..."nope, what the world really needs instead of a satisfactory, non-spanking involving ending to my WOT series, is another CONAN book..." WTF!!!!
Brandon Sanderson has been doing a very good job with the series, though. The Gathering Storm is probably the best book yet. If you haven't read his other stuff, I also recommend that, especially the Mistborn Trilogy.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
The main problem I see with this is that its almost going to end up like Neverwinter Nights 2, or possibly vegas style.

However its interesting that on wiki it states
"Fallout: New Vegas (2010)[2] (Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
An unannounced title using Obsidian's proprietary Onyx Engine[3] "

Hopefuly that doesn't mean this. :p

The main thing that makes me go 'ish' about this is, THe only thing Obsidians done, Is 'continue' work from another games designs.
NWN2,
KotOR2

Some game i've never herad of (alpha protocol)
And Fallout Las Vegas, which sounds like its fallout 3's engine, re-done for a standalone game.

So either A WoT game is going to be using the same type of gameplay/graphic type of another game, or they'll start over from scratch and make there own thing. (obviously fi they did that, it would slow the process down even more, but A NWN2, or as you guys know it now as Dragon Age Origins, wouldn't do a WoT game justice)

Well, at least they got people who DID make good games. (NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer = great)
Would have been retarded for them to try and make there own studio from all the rejected game designers, and new college kids. :p

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Greg Tito said:
NeutralDrow said:

I see what you're talking about, being an Ashaman would be sweet.
I actually disagree. I think that playing a male channeler BEFORE the Black Tower was founded would be more interesting, especially in an IC-MMO setting. You'd have to hide your channeling skills, lest you gain a reputation as a channeler and have the Red Ajah sent after you, which of course would also be players.

ohgodcreamingmyselfwithideas
UltimatheChosen said:
Brandon Sanderson has been doing a very good job with the series, though. The Gathering Storm is probably the best book yet. If you haven't read his other stuff, I also recommend that, especially the Mistborn Trilogy.
Bolded and quoted for truth.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Great news, I hope there's an innovative channeling system rather than simple set spells.

You'd have the five power, fire, water, earth, wind and spirit. Each signed a number on the keyboard (for pc). Then mix them in certain combinations you'd need to learn.

For example one fire could make a fireball, two fires a sheet of flame. Two winds and a fire would might create lighting.

A complex spell like compulsion or healing would take a combination of say seven elements in a certain order. Something like the ridiculously powerful killing spell rand makes in TSR to cleanse the stone, might take 15.

If you don't get the complex spells right they might fizzle out or explode dangerously.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
As long as Nynaeve doesn't make me go mad faster than saidin would at certain parts of the Wheel with those habits of hers, I'll be happy with a game adaptation of these books being made by a professional, commercial designer. Now let's hope it doesn't go the way of the Harry Potter games; neutered and made even more childish.

Wait a second - Larry Mondragon? That name is waaaaaaaaaay too similar to Lan Mandragoran. This smells fishy.