Obsidian Entertainment To Collaborate on Wheel of Time Games

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
I'm looking forward to this game, I feel they could do a lot with the world Robert Jordan has created. Hopefully it turns out well.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
Dirty Apple said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: forget Jordan, and move onto Martin. You'll love it, I will stake my geek guarantee on it.
It was fine when you were just saying why you, personally, dropped the series.

But these, sir, are fightin' words. I may have to respond with balefire.
I'm sorry to ruffle your literary feathers, but A Song of Fire and Ice just beats The Wheel of Time at its own game. It's too bad too, because Jordan's world is beautifully crafted and excellently written. The guy just didn't know how or when to pull the trigger. Martin's series is just as complex and sweeping, but the difference is he's not afraid to take chances and shake things up. Martin's books will consistently surprise, delight, and horrify the reader. This is an argument I've had before and I will have again.

As a side note, thank you for not outright flamming me. It's nice to find a poster on the web who doesn't resort to name calling and snide remarks the second they encounter an opposing opinion.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Ooh, I know. They can make one reasonably solid game. And then they can make six more games that are slight variations on the first- maybe some reskinning, a new dynamic or two, a big boss fight at the end that's exciting but seems kind of familiar in the mechanics.

Then they can make three or four games with thirty to forty hours of gameplay apiece which are really all one ongoing story, but don't move forward because your characters refuse to do anything towards achieving their mission objectives. Except maybe a thing or two at the very ends of the games as a sop to players and so we can string them along with cliffhangers.

Then we'll let Raven or Double Helix do the last game.

(note to self- oh, you are so in for it, you fool...)

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Dirty Apple said:
NeutralDrow said:
Dirty Apple said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: forget Jordan, and move onto Martin. You'll love it, I will stake my geek guarantee on it.

I'm sorry to ruffle your literary feathers, but A Song of Fire and Ice just beats The Wheel of Time at its own game. It's too bad too, because Jordan's world is beautifully crafted and excellently written. The guy just didn't know how or when to pull the trigger. Martin's series is just as complex and sweeping, but the difference is he's not afraid to take chances and shake things up. Martin's books will consistently surprise, delight, and horrify the reader. This is an argument I've had before and I will have again.
If you made an actual argument, I'd probably like to. As is, it looks like you're saying "this story is well written and has a fascinating world, but it's boring and predictable, and nothing of import happens."

Granted, when I spent ten minutes trying to figure out how that made any sense at all, I remembered that you didn't even finish Lord of Chaos (you wanna talk about surprise and horror), let alone got to the other truly gigantic world-shaking events of Winter's Heart, Knife of Dreams, and The Gathering Storm.

As a side note, thank you for not outright flamming me. It's nice to find a poster on the web who doesn't resort to name calling and snide remarks the second they encounter an opposing opinion.
Oh, trust me, I'm not ruling out the snide remarks. After all, you basically went past "I don't like this work, I like this other one better" to "this work sucks and if you like it, you have terrible taste, this other one is much better."

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
BrynThomas said:
Great news, I hope there's an innovative channeling system rather than simple set spells.

You'd have the five power, fire, water, earth, wind and spirit. Each signed a number on the keyboard (for pc). Then mix them in certain combinations you'd need to learn.

For example one fire could make a fireball, two fires a sheet of flame. Two winds and a fire would might create lighting.

A complex spell like compulsion or healing would take a combination of say seven elements in a certain order. Something like the ridiculously powerful killing spell rand makes in TSR to cleanse the stone, might take 15.

If you don't get the complex spells right they might fizzle out or explode dangerously.
Rand is the magical equivalent of an incredibly lucky faceroller.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
OMG I love this series and cannot wait for this Game. would like to see something not directly linked to the storyline as that avoids the issues there. maybe an Artur Hawkwing or Aiel War game.

please say the MMO is done in the Age of Legends, maybe up to the breaking, plenty of already balanced classes, races and awesome visuals!

Wolfbrother FTW!

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
ethaninja said:
Well the first Wheel of Time game was pretty awesome. This should be good.
Don't know it'd be the same devs, plus it was an FPS. Still, high hopes here.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
Dirty Apple said:
NeutralDrow said:
Dirty Apple said:

If you made an actual argument, I'd probably like to. As is, it looks like you're saying "this story is well written and has a fascinating world, but it's boring and predictable, and nothing of import happens."

Granted, when I spent ten minutes trying to figure out how that made any sense at all, I remembered that you didn't even finish Lord of Chaos (you wanna talk about surprise and horror), let alone got to the other truly gigantic world-shaking events of Winter's Heart, Knife of Dreams, and The Gathering Storm.

Oh, trust me, I'm not ruling out the snide remarks. After all, you basically went past "I don't like this work, I like this other one better" to "this work sucks and if you like it, you have terrible taste, this other one is much better."
sigh And there it is. Your well thought out rebuttle has completely changed everything I've ever thought about the Wheel of Time. Congratulations.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Dirty Apple said:
sigh And there it is. Your well thought out rebuttle has completely changed everything I've ever thought about the Wheel of Time. Congratulations.
Seriously? Wow, I wasn't even trying to do that. I was just calling you out for phrasing your previous opinion with veiled insults like a complete jerk.

Well, when you pick it back up, make sure to start with Lord of Chaos again. Even if you skip half the book, you don't want to miss the Dumai's Wells event at the end!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
TsunamiWombat said:
hURR dURR dERP said:
Greg Tito said:
I better stop or I'll start pulling my braids and scowling.
Only if you're a woman.

Men get to be totally oblivious and wonder why everyone else is better with girls than they are.
And women get to be bitchy charictures of actual people that are full of malice and hate until they finally provoke their otherwise goodnatured boyfreinds into getting angry and fucking the shrew out of them BADOOSH RIMSHOT but seriously, Jordan had some serious issues with women, I dunno how women can read those books and not be offended.
Because there's more female characters than Faile.
It's not JUST Faile, it's ALL of them with the possible exception of Min and MAYBE the blonde princess (they both have their shrew moments but not to the extent of the others). Even the bloody QUEEN is like that.

Aviendah is the Tsundere until Rand bangs her. Faile is the Tsundere until Rand bangs her. The QUEEN is the Tsundere until she gets sexy time with her bodyguard (I assume, didn't finish that book). Nynaeve is the Tsundere until she gets sexy time and REMAINS THE TSUNDERE AFTERWARDS.

Tsun Tsun Tsun Tsun Tsun SHREW. If the women in the book aren't being bitchy they're being manipulative, and talking about how they need to control all the men to protect them from themselves. Meanwhile, the male characters are all emotionally inept (admittedly probably true to life) milque toast who are oblivious to whats going on unless they're GRRR Havin the Angst in which case their cool factor gets taken to 11 and suddenly they're undefeatible. Double this for Rand - which I don't mind, I rather LIKE the Hulk effect, but when you use the same 'Rand gets angry and pwns some bitches' device at the end of every book it gets old.

I loved the world, I loved some of the characers, I liked the story, but it just gets bogged down in Jordans gender politics, it's like the guy thought he was still writing Conan.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
NeutralDrow said:
TsunamiWombat said:
hURR dURR dERP said:
Greg Tito said:
Only if you're a woman.

Men get to be totally oblivious and wonder why everyone else is better with girls than they are.
And women get to be bitchy charictures of actual people that are full of malice and hate until they finally provoke their otherwise goodnatured boyfreinds into getting angry and fucking the shrew out of them BADOOSH RIMSHOT but seriously, Jordan had some serious issues with women, I dunno how women can read those books and not be offended.
It's not JUST Faile, it's ALL of them with the possible exception of the blonde princess. Even the bloody QUEEN is like that.
Wait, you're complaining about the female characters...except for Elayne? That's something I haven't heard before; she's usually the first person on peoples' lips alongside Nynaeve and Faile.

Besides, your description was seriously only Faile (and if you switch the genders, you might get Queen Tylin and Lanfear). I was pointing out that there's also Aviendha, Min, Moiraine, Birgitte, Siuan, Leane, Cadsuane (...bad example), Verin, the Wise Ones (except Sevanna and Therava, who are pure evil), the Sea Folk (...another bad example), the recovered sul'dam, etc.

EDIT:
Aviendah is the Tsundere until Rand bangs her. Faile is the Tsundere until Perrin smacks a ***** up. The QUEEN is the Tsundere until she gets sexy time with her bodyguard (I assume, didn't finish that book). Nynaeve is the Tsundere until she gets sexy time and REMAINS THE TSUNDERE AFTERWARDS.

Tsun Tsun Tsun Tsun Tsun SHREW. If the women in the book aren't being bitchy they're being manipulative, and talking about how they need to control all the men to protect them from themselves. Meanwhile, the male characters are all emotionally inept (admittedly probably true to life) milque toast who are oblivious to whats going on unless they're GRRR Havin the Angst in which case their cool factor gets taken to 11 and suddenly they're undefeatible. Double this for Rand - which I don't mind, I rather LIKE the Hulk effect, but when you use the same 'Rand gets angry and pwns some bitches' device at the end of every book it gets old.

I loved the world, I loved some of the characers, I liked the story, but it just gets bogged down in Jordans gender politics, it's like the guy thinks he's still writing Conan.
Aviendha is a kuudere more than anything, and frustrated that the guy she loves is making absolutely no progress towards understanding her culture, and still reeling from the sudden transition between life roles (warrior to wisewoman). Faile's entire culture acts like that, men and women (seriously, have you seen their queen?). Morgase went from <color=white>queen of an incredibly powerful country to vagabond overnight, and went through all that crap with the Whitecloaks. Nynaeve is...well, Nynaeve, but she really shapes up by Knife of Dreams and The Gathering Storm.

The emotional immaturity of the men is also overstated. Eventually, it's pretty much just Mat (who has some excuses). Perrin is happily married and Rand is almost a friggin' psychopath, with his mind on other things. Most other men in the series don't display anything like their actions.

Rand pwning bitches at the end also stops happening by A Crown of Swords.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
TsunamiWombat said:
NeutralDrow said:
TsunamiWombat said:
hURR dURR dERP said:
Greg Tito said:
Only if you're a woman.

It's not JUST Faile, it's ALL of them with the possible exception of the blonde princess. Even the bloody QUEEN is like that.
Wait, you're complaining about the female characters...except for Elayne? That's something I haven't heard before; she's usually the first person on peoples' lips alongside Nynaeve and Faile.

Besides, your description was seriously only Faile (and if you switch the genders, you might get Queen Tylin and Lanfear). I was pointing out that there's also Aviendha, Min, Moiraine, Birgitte, Siuan, Leane, Cadsuane (...bad example), Verin, the Wise Ones (except Sevanna and Therava, who are pure evil), the Sea Folk (...another bad example), the recovered sul'dam, etc.
I forgot about Bridgitte. She's cool. An exception to the angry and manipulative women that populate the rest of the series. I guess dying mellows you out. I so wanted her to hook up with snarky wisecracker reincarnated guy (forgot his name, havn't read the books in years)

The Seafolk are cool too.

I guess Jordans message is if you live on the mainland/modern times, your an idiot?

A full half of the female characters being shrews is still a remarkible amount.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
NeutralDrow said:
TsunamiWombat said:
NeutralDrow said:
TsunamiWombat said:
hURR dURR dERP said:
Greg Tito said:
Only if you're a woman.

I forgot about Bridgitte. She's cool. An exception to the angry and manipulative women that populate the rest of the series. I guess dying mellows you out. I so wanted her to hook up with snarky wisecracker reincarnated guy (forgot his name, havn't read the books in years)

The Seafolk are cool too.

I guess Jordans message is if you live on the mainland/modern times, your an idiot?

A full half of the female characters being shrews is still a remarkible amount.
Gah, that's the problem with editing. No notification that it's happened, on either side.

The Sea Folk are cool? They're some of the biggest assholes in the series (though admittedly, it's just to the shorebound).

And most of the characters (the ones who aren't dead by now) have wised up and mellowed out b at least Winter's Heart. Hell, by The Gathering Storm, Egwene has become officially the coolest character in the books.

I also think even in the beginning that the amount of shrews is overstated. We just have the few that there are as frequent viewpoint characters (and like I said, by Winter's Heart and after, Nynaeve is almost unrecognizable).

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Veishan said:
Commander Breetai said:
Great. Because there's a huge niche market for games that have a billion sequels and go absofuckinglutely nowhere.
Yup. Like Halo, for instance.
The "hasn't gone anywhere" thing works well for it actually, for an ongoing series of games.

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
....WhooooAAAA.....

Wheel of Time Game... boggles my mind. I only made it halfway through the first book, but I would certainly play this.

As long as I get to rip the Whitecloaks a new one.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
IDK Obsidian has a bad habbit of screwing up Biowear sequels, so I think I'll wait for the reveiws

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Karlaxx said:
....WhooooAAAA.....

Wheel of Time Game... boggles my mind. I only made it halfway through the first book, but I would certainly play this.

As long as I get to rip the Whitecloaks a new one.
You only made it halfway through the first book..?

You realize there are FOURTEEN books right?