Obsidian Gears Up For Wasteland 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Obsidian Gears Up For Wasteland 2

Brian Fargo has added a huge incentive to drive Wasteland 2 Kickstarter funding to even higher levels: Obsidian Entertainment.

I'll get right to the point. If the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter, currently sitting at $1.65 million in funding, can reach $2.1 million before the clock hits zero in 17 days, development of the game will be joined by Obsidian Entertainment. How huge is that?

Ridiculously so. Obsidian was formed by veterans of Black Isle Studios, whose logo you will see on games like Fallout, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment, and which, as a division of Interplay, already has a long history with Fargo. "Wasteland is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and when Brian asked if I wanted to work on the sequel, I jumped at the chance," Obsidian CCO and Planescape: Torment Lead Designer Chris Avellone told Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/30/obisidian-to-co-develop-wasteland-2-on-one-condition/]. "While I've worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, getting the chance to work on the spiritual successor to the Fallout franchise is a honor."

Fargo said that the addition of Obsidian will give the project access to "an incredible library of story, dialog and development tools" plus the experience to use them, which will help quicken the development process. The fact that this is probably as close as we're ever going to come to an Interplay/Black Isle reunion is a pretty big plus, too.

It's obvious what needs to be done now. Wasteland 2 needs our money - all of it! Kickstarter.com [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2], people. Let's make this happen.

Apr 28, 2008
Well, that settles it then. Time to throw all the money I can spare at this thing.

The thought of Obsidian helping with the story for this thing... it makes me very, very happy. In my pants.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Now I want to donate to this again.
Irridium said:
Well, that settles it then. Time to throw all the money I can spare at this thing.

The thought of Obsidian helping with the story for this thing... it makes me very, very happy. In my pants.
The #2 comment on the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGv-bFXkqJo] on Youtube: "For once I am literally throwing my money at the screen and IT IS WORKING"

Lots of money-throwing is happening here.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
If I had my own money, I would be throwing all of it my screen. I used to have no interest in this game; if Obsidian has any involvement in the writing, I'm pre-ordering.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Of effin' gee. I already said that the one thing I would really really kickstarter was if Obsidian did an old school low resource RPG thing...

And then I saw this screen and thought, yeah but it'd be a B-team, they would get Chris Avellone on it...

OWH. Take my money!

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Wow, they're really getting the 7 Samurai together on this one. I was already planning on sending some money, but this just bumped me up a bracket.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Thats quite some incentive...

I may have some extra cash for this...

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, looks like I'm getting this.
Of course, it'll be a few months after release so it's not a broken piece of shit (Looking at you, NWN2!)

Jul 9, 2008
Not only is Obsidian in general considering joining, but Avellone himself (my favorite game writer, period) is expressing personal interest? Hell. Yes.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Damn.. well i have cash that i won't be spending on anything else.

To the prepaid card store! away!

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Hopefully they'll spend a little bit of that 2 million on a QA department.
feel free to read up fargos last interview. QA is handled by the publisher.