Obsidian Gears Up For Wasteland 2

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Audacity said:
Is this gonna be the generic obsidian work where they take something was epic and just release it with a few modifications and pass it off as original? If so count me out. I could barely get through New Vegas because it was just Fallout 3 with mods for console.
Oh no! they took a successful formula, improved upon it, and then filled the game world with interesting characters, locations, and quests. How dare they make a sequal to a popular game and make it their own while keeping what brought in old and new fans of Fallout in Fallout 3.

Also wasn't the first wasteland one of the biggest inspirations for Fallout?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
...So does that mean we can expect the story to be a third longer than they have time to develop and then get chopped off just before release...?

I kid. I actually quite enjoyed Alpha Protocol, and mine spouse has been playing the heck out of New Vegas (albeit with a significant amount of help from some FAQs to work around some of the more significant bugs.) I'll probably chip in to make this happen.

aemroth

Mar 17, 2010
Ewyx said:
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Hopefully they'll spend a little bit of that 2 million on a QA department.
feel free to read up fargos last interview. QA is handled by the publisher.
Damn! Got here too late to preemptively mention this! Link for easiness.

There. Can you people lay off Obsidian's back now? It made me a bit irked to see the whole "bugs" criticism mentioned over and over throughout MM. Keep in mind, this would/will be Obsidian working without publishers on it's back, free to keep the content they want in the game and to take care of the QA part themselves, without the pressure to meet strict deadlines (and running out of financing, if one donates enough). /throwsmoney

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
aemroth said:
Ewyx said:
PrinceOfShapeir said:

There. Can you people lay off Obsidian's back now? It made me a bit irked to see the whole "bugs" criticism mentioned over and over throughout MM. Keep in mind, this would/will be Obsidian working without publishers on it's back, free to keep the content they want in the game and to take care of the QA part themselves, without the pressure to meet strict deadlines (and running out of financing, if one donates enough). /throwsmoney
Sorry, no, don't buy it. There hasn't been a single Obsidian game that wasn't a buggy mess. Coincidence? Doubt it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Still not giving my money to this, but if it comes out in a few years, I'll probably buy it.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Ok that's it I'm giving up my birthday present to give all of that money to this kickstarter. Here's to hoping that they get to make the game they always wanted.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Sorry, no, don't buy it. There hasn't been a single Obsidian game that wasn't a buggy mess. Coincidence? Doubt it.
Great, got a better argument besides "No!" ?

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
PrinceOfShapeir said:
aemroth said:
Ewyx said:
PrinceOfShapeir said:

You just had a link with Obsidian's original publisher telling you how QA works and you are still in denial. Also go check out every one of Obsidian's games and see how many of them have had horrible publishers or some other problem. KOTOR 2 was rushed out with a 3rd of the game unfinished and Lucas Arts refused Obsidian the right to make a patch after the game was released. Neverwinter Nights 2 was using Bioware's Aurora Engine and had technical support from Bioware as well. Alpha Protocol was made when Obsidian was going through massive troubles so that's the only one they can be truly blamed for save QA because as said by a freaking publisher they take care of it. Fallout New Vegas had Bethesda's QA behind it so that was a death sentence from the start that cost Obsidian some of their jobs. Dungeon Siege 3 used Obsidian's own engine and is nearly bug free with only a few people having any problems with it at all. Do you see it yet?

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
PrinceOfShapeir said:
aemroth said:
Ewyx said:
PrinceOfShapeir said:

Obsidian is going to be working on design and writing so that isn't even really relevant.
Besides at this point we almost have old Interplay back for this project and they made great games.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
Man. I already donated $75 of this month's paycheck, which is about as much as I can spend without going into grocery/gas money. :( Someone a little farther along in career development than I am donate the $25 I would donate if I wasn't already skimming the edges.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
PrinceOfShapeir said:
aemroth said:
Ewyx said:
PrinceOfShapeir said:

Alpha Protocol and Dungeon Siege 3 weren't buggy. Though the former just had some design flaws that irked a lot of people (but I didn't run into a single bug, and most everything that I hear people refer to as bugs were just questionable AI behaviors).

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
DRTJR said:
Fallout was made because Fargo and co. wanted to do a sequel to Wasteland but couldn't get the rights to the IP.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Dear God, it's like my favorites from the past are returning. Everything I loved about Wasteland and the original Fallouts, Obsidian, and an actual old-school RPG. How can someone NOT love this?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
DRTJR said:
Audacity said:
Is this gonna be the generic obsidian work where they take something was epic and just release it with a few modifications and pass it off as original? If so count me out. I could barely get through New Vegas because it was just Fallout 3 with mods for console.
Oh no! they took a successful formula, improved upon it, and then filled the game world with interesting characters, locations, and quests. How dare they make a sequal to a popular game and make it their own while keeping what brought in old and new fans of Fallout in Fallout 3.

Dont forget ppl in Obsiden where from Black isle studios. ho. made Fallout

I hated 3 but enjoyed New Vegas

OT: i need more money to throw into this