Obsidian Gears Up For Wasteland 2

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Shit just got REAL. We're talking super top tier potential with this kind of resources/funding.

I don't even know WTF is going on, but I'm getting excited

offtopic: I Suddenly feel like buying The all-new Chevy Sonic..

wait, what?

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
/sigh

Obsidian? I thought this would be something to look forward too :\
Another potential Favorite of All Time for me is spoiled! DAMN YOU OBSIDIAN! *raisefist*

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Another thought just occurred to me (after I just added my own contribution to the Kickstarter):

You know who published the original Wasteland?

Electronic Arts.

It was one of the original cardboard-record-sleeve games. Back when EA was the "We're an association of electronic artists/Can a computer make you cry" people, rather than the "We're an association of acquisitive vultures/How hard can we make you cry before you'll stop buying our products" people.

One could make the case that funding Wasteland 2 sends a message to EA that they've strayed from the path. And that alone might be worth a few bucks.

aemroth

Mar 17, 2010
PrinceOfShapeir said:
aemroth said:
Ewyx said:
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Hopefully they'll spend a little bit of that 2 million on a QA department.
feel free to read up fargos last interview. QA is handled by the publisher.
Damn! Got here too late to preemptively mention this! Link for easiness.

There. Can you people lay off Obsidian's back now? It made me a bit irked to see the whole "bugs" criticism mentioned over and over throughout MM. Keep in mind, this would/will be Obsidian working without publishers on it's back, free to keep the content they want in the game and to take care of the QA part themselves, without the pressure to meet strict deadlines (and running out of financing, if one donates enough). /throwsmoney
Sorry, no, don't buy it. There hasn't been a single Obsidian game that wasn't a buggy mess. Coincidence? Doubt it.
Damn, you've been ganked o_O

Anyway, i won't repeat what people already said. But i'll say this: i would value the experiences Obsidian has provided me more than flawless technical proficiency, even if it was their fault. Kinda reminds of how i would often find bugs in my soup as a kid growing up in a small village, that resisted washing tucked in recesses of homegrown cabbages. "Hey, it's extra protein!" my folks would say, whenever i pointed it out, "Just eat it up.". And eat it up i did, 'cause it was tastier than shiny, artificially preserved food. Similarly, i have tended to eat up what Obsidian put in my plate over the years, bugs and all. :)

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Wasteland 2? Can't say I've even heard of the first one. Anyone care on enlighten me on what it was like?

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Wasteland 2? Can't say I've even heard of the first one. Anyone care on enlighten me on what it was like?
in no fan of it and I might get a bit corrected, but basicly imagen the earliest Final Fantasy games, but in a post apocalyptic setting with guns, and gory death desciptions

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
remmus said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
in no fan of it and I might get a bit corrected, but basicly imagen the earliest Final Fantasy games, but in a post apocalyptic setting with guns, and gory death desciptions
The earliest Final Fantasy I have played is Final Fantasy X I'm assuming you mean earlier than that, if so, I won't be able to imagine those. But I suppose I get the general idea.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
remmus said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Not really it was very much a western RPG think squad based top down Fallout. there are a lot of differences between it and Fallout but its closer then FF. Check out this lets play it gives a decent idea of the game:

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I don't want to sound like a dick, but I won't enlighten you. It takes 30 seconds to open wikipedia and type in Wasteland.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Imbechile said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I don't want to sound like a dick, but I won't enlighten you. It takes 30 seconds to open wikipedia and type in Wasteland.
Well you ended up sounding like one. If you didn't want to tell me what it was like you had no reason to quote me. After all, I'm asking so I can maybe get into a discussion about the game with some people that have played it, that's what these forums are for right? Discussions about games? So yeah, I could go and look up the wiki, or I could stay here and try and get into a discussion with other Escapists that could tell me about it. So you can save your smart ass comments.

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
Wasteland 2, Cartel, X-COM: Enemy Unknown... be still my heart.

Now if only we could get another Planescape game...

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
And there's the excuse I needed to up my donation to get the autopraphed boxed copy.

Damn, this is just the news I'd been wanting to hear for a good while now.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
o.0 sorry i got hung up on the pic, as my mind in fact has not exploded
*Detonates Lunar Templar's skull with a depth charge*

...and now?

On topic after reading Fargo's most recent interview, I'm more interested in this. Once I get paid next month, I'll probably throw some cash at this kickstart.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
JayDub147 said:
Wasteland 2, Cartel, X-COM: Enemy Unknown... be still my heart.

Now if only we could get another Planescape game...
If you haven't played Mask of the Betrayer yet, that one might be worth a look. It's not quite Torment, but it's heading in that direction.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
My understanding is that it was a top down RPG, sort of in the style of the original 4 or 5 final Fantasy Games. Tone wise it's very similar to the original two Fallout games, sans the 1950s World of Tomorrow parallel history aesthetic.

Extrapolating from what he's talking about doing sounds a bit like combat in the style of Fallout Tactics or the original X-Com, where you control a full squad in combat from a bird's eye/isometric perspective. With (presumably) a fully fleshed RPG progression outside of combat.

From what he's said he's aiming for a skill based combat system, I'm assuming what he means is that combat will be controlled by dice rolls which will be influenced by a character's skills.

Honestly, if you want to take a look at what this could be headed towards, and have never played it, I'd still recommend the original Fallout games (1 & 2). They haven't always aged gracefully, but they are still pretty solid RPG experiences in their own right, and they were aimed at being spiritual successors to Wasteland.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Starke said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
My understanding is that it was a top down RPG, sort of in the style of the original 4 or 5 final Fantasy Games. Tone wise it's very similar to the original two Fallout games, sans the 1950s World of Tomorrow parallel history aesthetic.

Extrapolating from what he's talking about doing sounds a bit like combat in the style of Fallout Tactics or the original X-Com, where you control a full squad in combat from a bird's eye/isometric perspective. With (presumably) a fully fleshed RPG progression outside of combat.

From what he's said he's aiming for a skill based combat system, I'm assuming what he means is that combat will be controlled by dice rolls which will be influenced by a character's skills.

Honestly, if you want to take a look at what this could be headed towards, and have never played it, I'd still recommend the original Fallout games (1 & 2). They haven't always aged gracefully, but they are still pretty solid RPG experiences in their own right, and they were aimed at being spiritual successors to Wasteland.
So it's kind of like a hash up between the original Final Fantasy games and the original Fallout games with roll-the-dice style combat? Sounds good I'm certainly going to have to keep an aye on this to see how it goes. I have never played the original Fallout games but I've always meant to get round to them, I guess this gives me an excuse to finally go and get them off GOG.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Oh my god I must be dreaming this game will be amazing.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Starke said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:

So it's kind of like a hash up between the original Final Fantasy games and the original Fallout games with roll-the-dice style combat? Sounds good I'm certainly going to have to keep an aye on this to see how it goes. I have never played the original Fallout games but I've always meant to get round to them, I guess this gives me an excuse to finally go and get them off GOG.
If you're digging around on GoG, the three recommendations I'd bring up off hand are the original two Fallout RPGs (1 and 2) (Tactics only if you really want a Post-Apocalyptic X-Com clone), and Arcanum (this was another Isometric RPG from Tim Cain (another of the brains behind Fallout), and a very solid Victorian era High-Fantisy mixed with Steampunk RPG in it's own right). None of them have a lot of graphical oomph, but all three are fantastic RPGs.