Obsidian Has Released a Pillars of Eternity Dev Documentary

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Obsidian Has Released a Pillars of Eternity Dev Documentary

[vimeo=147916391]In-house documentary shows path of Kickstarter success story.

Obsidian Entertainment's Pillars of Eternity ranks among the most successful crowdfunded videogame projects to date. After breaking records by collecting nearly $4 million to develop the game in 2012, the final product released this March to largely positive reviews (including The Escapist; Justin Clouse called it, "the best new, isometric RPG in years" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/13681-Pillars-of-Eternity-Review#&gid=gallery_3961&pid=1]). A new documentary produced by Obsidian, The Road to Eternity, recounts the development of the project through interviews with staff.

The feature-length documentary follows the team as it goes from the Kickstarter campaign, through the creation of the world, the initial demo and backer beta, press demonstrations, bug fixing, and eventual release. It also offers a look at the depth of consideration afforded to some of the aspects of a game's design that players may assume are simple tasks, such as logo design.

The Road to Eternity is available for download or streaming from Vimeo [https://vimeo.com/ondemand/theroadtoeternity] for $0.99.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Does it include the harassment they got after release from people who where predominantly not customers who couldn't handle a joke, so they caved to them despite most of them not being their customers, but did so in a way that openly insulted them by calling them the morons they are? Because I'd buy a copy just to see that part.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Zontar said:
Does it include the harassment they got after release from people who where predominantly not customers who couldn't handle a joke, so they caved to them despite most of them not being their customers, but did so in a way that openly insulted them by calling them the morons they are? Because I'd buy a copy just to see that part.
No, that wasn't included.

I believe that this is the same documentary that was part of a backer reward for the game. It's quite good, worth watching, IMO.