Obsidian Would Love Another Chance at Fallout

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Obsidian Would Love Another Chance at Fallout

The New Vegas developer says the development of Fallout 4 is entirely up to the bigwigs at Bethesda.

While Bethesda made it clear that it is Gameranx [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125259-Bethesda-Not-Ready-to-Talk-About-Fallout-4] about his upcoming project: Project Eternity, and spoke very briefly about his wish to do another Fallout game.

"All of the Fallout stuff is totally up to Bethesda. While we would love to do another Fallout game again, that is totally up to them," Avellone said. Fallout: New Vegas was praised for being as high-quality and content-rich as the franchise is known for, despite not being developed by Fallout 3 developer Bethesda Game Studios.

Bethesda Game Studios has recently had its hands full with The Elder Scrolls franchise, releasing Skyrim in 2011 and its latest DLC pack, Dragonborn, just a few months ago. BGS would most likely be developing the main Fallout 4 game, but it would be nice to see Obsidian working on another New Vegas-style offshoot.

Fallout fans are still eagerly awaiting any news on their favorite Franchise. Bethesda recently quelled rumors that a "secret showing" of Fallout 4 happened behind closed doors at this year's E3, stating that "We are not into annual franchises ... These are big games that take a long time and folks need to understand that we have a very certain way of going about things."

In Avellone's Project Eternity interview, he talks about the influences Obsidian's work on New Vegas has had on the new game. He mentions in particular that Old World Blues, one of the DLC packs for New Vegas, "was completely insane," but offered players a lot of freedom to play around in its crazy world, something he hopes to carry over to the new project.

Source: Gameranx [http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/15895/article/fallout-4-development-up-to-bethesda-but-obsidian-would-love-another-chance/]

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I'd love for them to get another chance too.

New Vegas blew Fallout 3 out of the water in practically every category, save exploration and stability. Also it was more true to the originals, which is always good.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I've got NV, why have I never given it a proper play through? Oh yeah, because at the moment I'm scared of sinking another several hundred hours into an open world RPG like that.. because we all know that putting just 100 hours into 1 character is nowhere near enough.

In other words, despite some lack of first-hand experience on my part I'd love to see them get this chance too.

(Actually for that above admission do I deserve to be mocked, shunned and shamed per this week's Jimquisition?)

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Yes, please do this!

New Vegas brought the series back a bit towards it's roots, but innovated enough from Fallout 3 that they made it better. I'd love it if they do the next game. I want them to bring back Floaters myself, make the Centaurs a bit tougher...maybe even vaguely reference talking Deathclaws, like a book by Goris or something. I also like how they made the Deathclaws tougher in NV like they mostly were in Fallout 1 and 2.

Also if they use the song Radioactive by Imagine Dragons in the trailer much murder will be had.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
Yes please, let's make this a thing. I liked Fallout 3, but New Vegas blew it out of the water in every way.

Actually, no. The way we do it is this; Bethesda makes Fallout 4, then Obsidian takes Fallout 4's assets and uses it to build a game that is superior in almost every way. And hopefully they'll QA it this time too.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Fallout: New Vegas was much better than Fallout 3. It actually felt like the stuff I did had an effect on the world around me and I felt like my character was some type of wandering hero.

I hope Obsidian is allowed to develop Fallout 4 or at least get the chance to do another game like New Vegas.

Mar 30, 2010
Go on Bethesda, give Obsidian another shot. NV picked up right where F2 left off, and in terms of tone, setting and atmosphere (the things that matter in a roleplaying game) it was streets ahead of F3. Plus it managed to write it's story without retconning a bunch of stuff, which is always nice from a series point of view.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Humbug Fallout 3 was much better than New Vegas-it actually felt like an apocalypse game with a grim-dark world,new vegas was too goofy for me to take seriously >_>.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Fallout: New Vegas was praised for being as high-quality and content-rich as the franchise is known for, despite not being developed by Fallout 3 developer Bethesda Game Studios.

BGS would most likely be developing the main Fallout 4 game, but it would be nice to see Obsidian working on another New Vegas-style offshoot.
Ok, I realize that it isn't your job to be an expert on the history of every single game franchise ever, so I'm not going to judge you here, but I feel that I should offer some corrections.

In terms of being true to the original games, Fallout 3 is the "offshoot" and New Vegas the proper sequel. Bethesda moved the setting to the east coast, made its tone much darker, and also mucked around with the lore in several ways that serious fans weren't happy with. Obsidian brought the series back to its roots, which isn't too surprising, considering that many of its employees worked with the original developers way back when.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
knight steel said:
Humbug Fallout 3 was much better than New Vegas-it actually felt like an apocalypse game with a grim-dark world,new vegas was too goofy for me to take seriously >_>.
The Fallout world is suppose to be goofy, and not bleak Grim-Dark like most post apocalyptic games.

The original Fallout's were like that too. It's the very soul of the series, which Bethesda failed to grasp with Fallout 3, and just turned it into pretty much Oblivion with guns.

It's like Bethesda's manager was face down in cocaine, then got up and said "What the hell is a Fallout!?".

That said though, i won't mind a joint venture of Bethesda and Obsidian, with Bethesda creating the world and engine ect, while Obsidian did the story, dialog, and quests.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
valium said:
Give Obsidian a crack at "the institute," do it Bethesda dooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeet.
I would rather have Bethesda remain on the East Coast and Obsidian on the West thank you very much.

That said, I would love another Obsidian Fallout.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Obsidian do another Fallout?!

Line me up for the special superduper edition now.... I'll wait!

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Personally i'd hand over Mass Effect and Dragon age to Obsidian along with Fallout seeing as they are one of the few real RPG makers out there.

Message to publishers: FFS give Obsidian the time they need to finish a project for once!

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
knight steel said:
The Fallout world is suppose to be goofy, and not bleak Grim-Dark like most post apocalyptic games.

The original Fallout's were like that too. It's the very soul of the series, which Bethesda failed to grasp with Fallout 3, and just turned it into pretty much Oblivion with guns.

It's like Bethesda's manager was face down in cocaine, then got up and said "What the hell is a Fallout!?".
But you see-I don't like/care about the original fallout games and feel that having fallout's soul ripped out and replaced would be for the best-but thats just me and my personal tastes.

Captcha: I'm sorry

Goddamit captcha stop apologising for me >_<

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'd say let them do it. I enjoyed New Vegas quite a bit more than Fallout 3. Not to say the latter is bad, but the only thing I enjoyed more was that Liam Neeson was your dad, and he wasn't in it for all that long anyway.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
knight steel said:
I know a lot of people who couldn't play Fallout 3 because it was too depressing for them. That's special.

I love both of the games, but for regards to atmosphere, setting and tone I think Fallout 3 does a much more impressive job. It's better art, if one could qualify that, and a more stable gaming experience by far.

New Vegas is still great though, and as a fan of the very first Fallout, I enjoy both the more serious and silly takes on the franchise. I would not object to them continuing with Bethesda making the core installments, and Obsidian making spinoff stuff.