Obsidian Would Love to Pitch a New Star Wars Game To Disney

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Obsidian Would Love to Pitch a New Star Wars Game To Disney

Knights of the Old Republic 2 developer Obsidian Entertainment is sad to see Lucasarts die, but hopes to see Star Wars videogames live on.

The news of Disney closing down LucasArts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123055-Disney-Closes-LucasArts] was a somewhat expected, but still saddening event for gamers and developers alike. Obsidian Entertainment, the developer who brought us Knights of the Old Republic 2, is among those in mourning, but offers a glimmer of hope to the future of Star Wars videogames. "As for Obsidian pitching a Star Wars game, or games for that matter, we would love to. Getting to work within the Star Wars world was a tonne of fun and it would be great to get to do so again," said Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart.

"We've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimising the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," said Disney in a statement accompanying the closure of the studio. A pitch from Obsidian to make a new game seems to be exactly what Disney is looking for, so things are looking good that this may actually happen.

Even more promising is the fact that Obsidian already pithced a new Star Wars game to LucasArts back in February. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122007-Obsidian-is-Pitching-a-New-Star-Wars-Game] Lead Designer Chris Avellone came up with "a really cool story" and one of the studio's best ever pitches, said Urquhart.

"We pitched a between-Episode III and Episode IV game [to LucasArts]. Because we think that timeframe is super interesting. It's the fall of the Republic, the extermination of the Jedi, it's Obi-Wan going off and making sure Luke is OK. You have the Sith, but you have the extermination of all Force users except for very, very few. So it was an interesting time to set a game, and you know, Chris Avellone came up with a really cool story,"

Knights of the Old Republic 2 was the critically acclaimed sequel to Knights of the Old Republic, which was developed by Bioware. Both games were published by LucasArts. KOTOR 2 was developed in just under a year, but still managed to blow gamers away with its edge-of-your-seat story and immersive gameplay. It did, however, have a whole boatload of bugs, glitches, and missing content.

The good news is that some industrious modders basically fixed all of the game's problems, a move that was actually praised by Avellone. You can pick the game up on Steam for around $7, and download the Sith Lords Restored Content Mod on ModDB. [http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm/downloads]

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-09-kotor2-dev-obsidian-sad-about-lucasarts-would-love-to-pitch-a-star-wars-game]

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
PLEASE, PLEASE, OH GOD PLEASE.

MAKE A KOTOR III/OBSIDIAN STAR WARS RPG!

GREEN-LIGHT IT AND REDEEM YOURSELF, YOU CARTOON RAT!

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Hopefully they get it green-lit. Kotor 2 was great, despite the bugs and rushed ending.

Of course, is moral ambiguity something Disney wants in Star Wars?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I can't help but feel Obsidian at least feels a little satisfaction in knowing that the guys who screwed them over are now in turn screwed over.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
So... many... typos...

But anyway: I'd totally be on board with that, as long as it's in the movie timeframe. I didn't care too much for the entire Old-Republic setting. Give me the REAL empire, not the Sith knockoff [I know that in-universe the former was probably modelled after the latter, but on the meta-level the former was there first]!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
What I wouldn't give for another die-based RPG set in the Star Wars universe (preferably the Old Republic or anywhere Starwalkers haven't been yet). The original Knights game was the one I prefer in all honesty but I spent a couple hundred hours in both games. Hopefully this project will get the green light.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
Looks Obsidian indeed might get the chance to develop the next Star Wars game. On the other hand it's too good to be true.

If they do get the project, then I assume it's gonna be an AAA project with expensive graphics and most likely full voice-acting. While I'm thrilled to see another Obsidian game, I hope it won't affect the amount of choices or length of the game.

Also, could someone please explain to me how the timeline relates to the other Kotor games? Between Episode 3 and 4 doesn't say much to me, since I'm no big Star Wars fan. Or to phrase differently, is there a chance that I might see Atton in the next game?

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Karoshi said:
Also, could someone please explain to me how the timeline relates to the other Kotor games? Between Episode 3 and 4 doesn't say much to me, since I'm no big Star Wars fan. Or to phrase differently, is there a chance that I might see Atton in the next game?
The KOTOR games are set a good few millennia before the movies. Not easy to tell, as the technology is practically the same.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm playing Kotor 2 right now, all I can say is, Disney I would love you so much if you actually did this

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
Between Episode 3 and 4 means it would take place between the moment Anakin became Vader and the moment we first saw Luke.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
If a KOTOR III is made I would like to see both Bioware and Obsidian team up and develop the game and see if they could hire Drew Karpyshyn back. I would like to see elements of Alpha Protocol in it as well. Such as the dialogue system and the intertwining mission system where what you do on one mission effects what could happen or what an enemy or ally says or does.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Gah...guh....OH OBSIDIAN, YOU'VE MADE ME THE HAPPIEST GAL IN THE WORLD!

Please, Disney. Do you know how much support you would get from this? I don't care if I see Mickey Mouse wielding a lightsaber, just pleaaaase. You heard them, Chris already has an awesome story! Don't diss Chris, man don't do that. He has social phobias.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Monsterfurby said:
So... many... typos...

But anyway: I'd totally be on board with that, as long as it's in the movie timeframe. I didn't care too much for the entire Old-Republic setting. Give me the REAL empire, not the Sith knockoff [I know that in-universe the former was probably modelled after the latter, but on the meta-level the former was there first]!
Help me out here, I just managed to spot the one (KOTOR2 instead of KOTO2)

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Could be interesting playing as a jedi trying to avoid being purged while Darth Vader and Starkiller are running around playing the boogey man like Lu Bu of dynasty Warriors. Have the Jedi doing good or bad deeds and the more they do the more attention is drawn to them, thus raising the sith awareness of you, but also the greater potential rewards. Of course this may raise continuity issues between episodes 3 and 4.

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
Karoshi said:
This will be set between the movies Ep. 3 and 4 with the rise of Palpatine's Empire, so no you probably won't see Atton in the game

Hope this gets greenlit though, TSL had potential but Peragus was one of the most boring areas of the I've ever slogged through and I really enjoyed the trips through the Fade and Deep roads in Dragon Age: Origins and also the Taris section in the original KOTOR. which I have heard people complain about especially the Fade. I also didn't care much for the squad-mates or the other main characters in TSL

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I would like to see it set after Return of the Jedi. For two reasons;

1- The old Republic timeline has been done. Let's move on.
2- To set in stone what occurs after RotJ. The EU is essentially Schrodinger's cat.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
I can't help but feel Obsidian at least feels a little satisfaction in knowing that the guys who screwed them over are now in turn screwed over.
They probably wouldn't let it show if they did. Obsidian are/are really careful to be pretty pro-publisher (probably because their jobs depend on making deals with them) for example Chris Avellone always says his mistake was trying to make the minigames from KotoR actually good this time round. With such a short timeframe he reckons he should've have just ditched them and focused on everything else