Obsidian Would Love to Pitch a New Star Wars Game To Disney

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
BakedZnake said:
Norrdicus said:
BakedZnake said:
Keep on making excuses for them, every single game they ALWAYS blame the publishers.
Nice try fella, but they did not do that with Dungeon Siege 3
Just a shame it was a bad game with a broken multiplayer
The negativity is strong in this one.

Seriously man, relax and stop hating everything for a moment, you'll live longer and happier.

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
I hate game developers getting away with releasing broken games and fanboys just happy getting whatever crap they shit out.

Don't buy their broken crap, and you'll be richer off

boradam

Jan 14, 2010
BakedZnake said:
I hate game developers getting away with releasing broken games and fanboys just happy getting whatever crap they shit out.

It's funny because Obsidian wasn't responsible for QA for Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, or Knights of the Old Republic II.

Blame the publisher, not the developer.

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
valium said:
I am all for bashing on Obsidian releasing some buggy games, but they have largely been very good and the problems do eventually get ironed out. You seem to be willfully ignorant of the fact that all games have problems and bugs and glitches, there are no perfect games.
That's where you are wrong, Worms is and will always be the best perfect game on earth

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Has anyone played KOTOR 2 with the restored content Mod?

Is it worth checking out? Or does it feel tacked on?

I love KOTOR 2 and would like to check it out if it really makes a difference.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
MFW New KOTOR

MFW Obsidian is involved

After the absolute catastrophe that was KotOR 2, I don't want them anywhere near Star Wars. Have they made some decent games recently? Sure, I'll admit that the final, patched version of New Vegas is very fun. But KotOR 2 was the sort of train wreck you only see once in a few years. Please, give somebody, ANYBODY else the rights to make the next Star Wars game. I don't care if it's Epic Games being headed by that moron Cliffy B., ANYBODY would be better than the people that we already KNOW will make a shoddy, half-finished game.

EDIT:
boradam said:
It's funny because Obsidian wasn't responsible for QA for[...] Knights of the Old Republic II.

Blame the publisher, not the developer.
KotOR 2's problems went WAY, WAY beyond QA. It wasn't buggy. It was unfinished. And the parts that were finished didn't fit together well from a narrative standpoint. The outcome was that the plot of the game made no sense, and that's not something a QA team could fix.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Karoshi said:
Looks Obsidian indeed might get the chance to develop the next Star Wars game. On the other hand it's too good to be true.

If they do get the project, then I assume it's gonna be an AAA project with expensive graphics and most likely full voice-acting. While I'm thrilled to see another Obsidian game, I hope it won't affect the amount of choices or length of the game.

Also, could someone please explain to me how the timeline relates to the other Kotor games? Between Episode 3 and 4 doesn't say much to me, since I'm no big Star Wars fan. Or to phrase differently, is there a chance that I might see Atton in the next game?
Given what they did with New Vegas, I'm pretty confident in their ability to do AAA without sacrificing length or options. I'm less confident in their ability to do AAA without it being buggier than an entomology convention, but I've put up with it so far.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Well Project Eternity seems to be going along smoothly. I'd say they'd be able to put a lot of their effort into it. Avellone and a few other writers would do an amazing job as they've said before they love the places they can take it.

My only problem is that Disney is known to control their projects with an iron fist. But I've heard the guys at Obsidian are used to that, so it might not be a problem.

I think Disney would be willing to do this once they have consolidated everything with the brand. I hope Obsidian gets the pitch out soon so it ends up near the top of the pile when Disney finally has time to look at everything.

exxxed

Mar 30, 2013
Worr Monger said:

It makes a pretty big difference to me, as one who also loves the game (definitely better than the first in the writing department).

It doesn't feel tacked on at all, it makes the game feel complete (voice acting and all), pretty much the product that should have been if Lucas Arts didn't insisted on releasing it withing a year, coupled with the HD soundtrack and video patches that were released it's the KotOR I always dreamed of.

The flack Obsidian's getting while BioWare and Bethesda get away with it, among others of course, it's absolutely hilarious, at least Obsidian has competent writers and quest designers for once, I can deal with bugs if the other aspects are worthwhile, but both lacking in quality content and writing while being a flea infestation and praised for how good it is... mind boggling to say the least...

Have a good evening!

P.S.

As for the topic at hand, fantastic news, I just wish they'd stop beating that goddamned dead horse that the prequel-sequel trilogies stand for in terms of exploitation and just move on , KotOR has the right idea, so does Jedi Knight, I vote for one of those instead of another reminder of how/why Vader becomes what he is and the whole Empire shenanigans... I got it already...

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Genocidicles said:
Hopefully they get it green-lit. Kotor 2 was great, despite the bugs and rushed ending.

Of course, is moral ambiguity something Disney wants in Star Wars?
Honestly? Probably up in the air when you consider the Marvel films, although those are still relatively "clean".

I'd love to see something new that's Star Wars by Obsidian, but I imagine I'm one of the few people of the camp of "don't make it a retro/D&D style RPG that's like Dragon Age". If anything, I'd prefer they make something more like Watch_Dogs meets Dragon's Dogma. Incredibly insane in concept and a balancing nightmare, but I can dream...

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
uncanny474 said:
KotOR 2's problems went WAY, WAY beyond QA. It wasn't buggy. It was unfinished. And the parts that were finished didn't fit together well from a narrative standpoint. The outcome was that the plot of the game made no sense, and that's not something a QA team could fix.
That'd be because, as is always brought up in these discussions, LucasArts rushed the development along and told Obsidian to fuck off and release the game as it was, half-finished and all. I'm all for blaming Obsidian over the relative technical quality of their games, because they're generally right up there with Bethesda on the number of bugs that get through to the released product, but it patently wasn't their fault that KotOR II was unfinished and much as I love Bioware games, Chris Avellone is a much better designer than any of the people who've headed Bioware's projects, even if he's let down by the implementation at the end of the day.

OT: I've found that I like the idea of D&D rules in games far more than the actual implementation, which always leads to me enjoying games like KotOR or Dragon Age far more than Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate, so I'm all for another Star Wars RPG in the same vein. Obsidian and Disney together don't have the most solid history of video game releases, however, so count me as being cautiously optimistic.

boradam

Jan 14, 2010
Worr Monger said:

I played through KOTOR 2 a few months back for the first time in about 5 years with the restoration mod, I literally remembered everything that was added into the game: even though it was never there in the first place. It all fit in seamlessly, and I couldn't even tell what was added and what was in there originally.

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
boradam said:
Worr Monger said:

I played through KOTOR 2 a few months back for the first time in about 5 years with the restoration mod, I literally remembered everything that was added into the game: even though it was never there in the first place. It all fit in seamlessly, and I couldn't even tell what was added and what was in there originally.

I was unaware of this, thank you. It seems I will have you to thank for the upcoming enjoyable weekend.

eberhart

Dec 20, 2012
BakedZnake said:
Give it to a company who is passionate about their games, and keep on giving after they launch their games. Give it to CD Projekt RED
Um... given how (relatively) small company CDPR is, it's either leave Cyberpunk in a ditch or hire a big group of new people from different corporate cultures. Then - spread current staff thin trying to stop new guys from eg. spending a month on DRM or lens flares out of habit. Then lose a chunk of independence to both Disney and whatever investors necessary to support such operation. Let's not even mention quality and size of promised post-release content for W3.

Request denied!

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
BakedZnake said:

Dude, what's your problem? If it was any other company (like Bethesda), would you also feel obliged to give people flak for liking their games? You can't seriosuly go into a thread and tell people that they should stop enjoying Obsidian's games. Why don't you as well tell us to stop eating french cheese, since it's "obviously a rip-off".

Some people hate bugs, others just learn to circumvent them or are willing to wait for a patch. Personally, I just always buy Obsidian's games several months later after release. That way I get a great product whose bugs have been mostly eliminated.

Besides, if given the choice between a good game with bugs and a mediocre game without bugs I always choose the first one. There aren't many companies whose games I enjoy anyway.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
BakedZnake said:
Keep on making excuses for them, every single game they ALWAYS blame the publishers. They should fire whoever is in charge of their time management and budget cos Obsidian will make the same excuse if given 10 years & 9 billion dollars to make a game.

If Disney do give the go ahead, I can guarantee you once the game is out Obsidian - " Disnay wont give us moar monies and moar time wah wah wah... plz blame dem for making us make a broken game, also plz communities fix dis for us"
Yep, and that's why Oblivion and Fallout 3 - not designed by obsidian - were perfect, flawless pearls at launch, right guys?

Guys?

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Fingers crossed, I'm no fan of theirs but they had been trying to make it happen for a long time and generally have a history of getting screwed by publishers.