Ocarina of Time/ Favorite Zelda Game

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
SmarterThanYou said:
I have never played Ocarina of Time. *braces himself*

Now that I've pissed off a great deal of Zelda fans, I have a question. Is it worth playing today? I've been a big fan of the more recent Zelda games (my first was Twilight Princess when I was 12, and I still regard that game as one of my all-time favorites), and I'm not sure if Ill get much originality from Ocarina, because so much of it has been referenced in the later games. Still, I also have a fondness for classic games, and these are games I enjoy. So, I'm wondering, should I pick it up now thats its on 3DS and I'm able to get a 3DS?

Also, to add additional discusion value; feel free to talk about your favorite Zelda game and why its your favorite. For me, it's Twilight Princess, for numerous reasons. It was my first Zelda game, and the game that opened my eyes to the potential of videogames as a storytelling medium. I absolutely love the wide-open world, the art design, and the atmosphere, and of all the Zelda games I've played, the Goron Mines are still one of my favorite dungeons.
I still like OoT - it did kind of set the benchmark for later games, and graphics aside still pretty much holds it's own. If you like playing classic games anyway, then it's well worth getting hold of.

As for my favourite, I'd probably say Majora's mask. Same engine and setup as OoT, but it was far more immersive, and is really quite dark and creepy in places.
And there's time travel in it. Nuff said.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Played OoT when it was new. To me it was a worse version of A Link to the Past.

I think Twilight Princess is a far better game. Sure it was a similar mechanic to Ocarina of Time, but it was done better. Midna tends to be a better parasite than Navi ever was. Midna did what she did for selfish reasons: she wanted to return home. She did not try to be helpful in anyway.

mr leigh

Aug 16, 2010
Shadowstar38 said:
Oh fuck. I cant believe I forgot the name of, my favorite. You can see how in to the series I am from that.

I did turn into a rabbit if I didnt have the moon pearl if that helps anyone.

OP: Yes, its indeed worth a playthrough.I remember OoT as one of the only reasons I turned the N64 on. Hours and hours were sunk into the game just to give it another playthrough right after.

I highly recommend it.
that would be a link to the past awsome game but for me majoras mask i just the better game so much to do and (SPOILER ALERT!) gannon isnt the boss at the end like almost ebery other zelda game.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm not pissed off OP. I liked Ocarina of Time but, I liked Link to the Past a lot more and, thought Wind Waker is the best one in general. It isn't like you've completely missed out though since it's been re-released on the 3DS and is more than likely on the virtual console. I've never played Twilight Princess myself but apparently (according to Yahtzee) it's a better looking Ocarina of Time...Ocarina of Time itself being the 3D/3rd person version of Link to the Past (FOR THE MOST PART).

If you're able to get a 3DS, make sure you get an e-shop card or two so you can pick up Link's Awakening DS. It plays out similarly to Link to the Past and the original NES Zelda title only with a ton of Mario cameos. If you're really looking for a retro Zelda the E-Shop should also have the original and Zelda 2 on the NES...I think...if not than the virtual console more than likely does.

My personal top 3 Zelda games are...

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - It was my first Legend of Zelda and, it was the first game I beat. So my nostalgia glasses are on and, bifocal. Anyway, this was the only Zelda game that made it onto the SNES and it took after the style of the original Legend of Zelda (ie - top down instead of side-scrolling w/ experience points). It was a huge, expansive world with a lot to see and discover. It was the first Zelda to introduce pieces of heart instead of full on heart containers. It had great boss fights (except for the worm thing that knocked you off of the platform in temple 3). There were a lot of great inside jokes and, easter eggs, some of which I haven't found yet. I loved the fat fairy but, I haven't found the rubee room dedicated to Chris Houlihan. I also love the way Ganon looked at the end of the game. They should bring back the big, blue Ganon for the next Smash Bros.

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - It's kind of like Skyward Sword's premise only instead of having a wide-open sky to explore, you're exploring the wide-open sea. Also unlike Skyward Sword, each island you find in Wind Waker has something there that makes it worth a second look like sunken treasure. The art design is also unique and, like Okami, is one of last gens games that look just as good now. It's a beautiful game and I thought the sailing was pretty fun.

Zelda 2: Adventure of Link (NES) - It's by far the hardest Zelda game made and it hasn't aged well. It was however the first to introduce towns and, the magic-meter. Fighting scenes happen at random when in the over-world in a 2D-side scrolling plane and when you enter certain areas of the map like caves. It's hard as Hell but deeply satisfying if you can beat it.

Apr 25, 2009
Twilight Princess was fantastic. It was my first Zelda game too and I just spent hours exploring and wandering around the beautiful world. I need to buy it now :(

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
j0frenzy said:
One does not simply wander into Legend of Zelda. Sorry OP, couldn't resist given your avatar.
I honestly never got the appeal of Ocarina of Time. It isn't bad, but I just never quite understood what it did so brilliantly that has it so highly rated considering a lot of the game retreads A Link to the Past. Incidentally, I think A Link to the Past still holds up really well, but I probably overplayed that game when I was younger so there are things I take for granted that I know that may not be as clear in retrospect.
Believe it or not, Ironically enough, Ocarina of Time was just that, when it was in early development.

A mostly 3D remake of a Link to the Past.

That was until they totally redesigned the game, when the game's development shifted from the disk drive Add-On (64DD) to the actual Nintendo 64 console itself.

PrinceBuffoon

Nov 29, 2011
Fasckira said:
Link to the Past; great graphics, great sound track, clever puzzles, a lot of game play and plenty to do. When Zelda went 3d I felt it kind of lost some of its charm though I will agree that Wind Waker is beautiful.
This. And allow me to add amazing boss fights. The bosses look awesome and some of them are pretty damn hard. I think every Zelda fan needs to try Link to the Past. In fact...I might just go play it right now.

Shadowstar38 said:
Oh fuck. I cant believe I forgot the name of, my favorite. You can see how in to the series I am from that.

I did turn into a rabbit if I didnt have the moon pearl if that helps anyone.
That's Link to the Past.

OP: Oot is definitely worth trying. It does share a lot with Twilight Princess. The gameplay is similar, but it's a different world and a different atmosphere. And I'm sure it will help you appreciate how far the series has come. I wouldn't get it on the 3DS though. If you've got a Wii, you should think about buying a GameCube controller and getting it on virtual console instead, though an N64 would be ideal lol. I've played OoT on N64, Wii and 3DS and that's my opinion.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Personally, I liked Majora's Mask more than Ocarina of Time.

The darker setting and overtones as well as a closer and more personalized interactions with tons of well crafted NPCs won me over.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I didn't like it, you kind of need a guide to understand what you're supposed to do half of the time. I can't say that's a good thing.

Majora's mask is my favourite. Sure, I still barely know what to do, but it's darker and I think the plot was better.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
Majora's Mask is definitely my favorite. It was the only Zelda game that really felt like it significantly diverged from the theme of the previous ones after Link to the Past, even if it did reuse practically all of the assets. The three-day cycle, slightly darker tone, and transformative masks were all quite interesting changes in my book.

Wind Waker was probably the other one whose gimmick was a significant influence, but I found the sailing to be quite boring. Especially when it came time to do the Triforce fetch quest at the end.

Zelda 2 was interesting in that it tried a lot of new basic gameplay concepts in a way that other Zelda games didn't. But it was still rather flawed, and maintains the dubious distinction of being the only Zelda game to reward grinding.

Sarcastic_Applause

Dec 1, 2010
Hazy992 said:
I personally think it's overrated. Sure it's a good game but I really don't think it's the Citizen Kane of gaming like so many people say it is. Wind Waker's still my favourite.

Guess I'll be needing this;
Much like a previous Poster, i've got to agree with you too. The Wind Waker just felt more alive and vibrant; i adored the art style used, and the plot just got me more invested in the characters.

That Being said, my favorite LoZ will always be Majora's Mask; simply for the fact that it has such a Grim Theme, with death being a constant throughout the story line. Especially with the Final Hours... God...

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
sorta disappointed now i didnt give wind waker a go given all the praise its gotten here - was quite offput by the cell style animation (think thats what the art styles called), it didnt really appeal to me.

For me my favorite was OoT. I loved the diversity of termina (In Majoras Mask, second favourite, tied with twilight prin.) in terms of its locations and the depth of some of its characters (for its time).
Hyrule in OoT just seemed very bland at times in comparison back to MM. However OoT was my first entry into the zelda series, and opened my eyes to a new found love of gaming and for that I am truly indebted to the game even if its not my most favourite game on paper.

OoT also made my childhood easier when I changed primary schools back in 2000, helped in breaking the ice and making new friends as a wee lad, so again indebted to the wonderful institution that is OoT

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Kilo24 said:
Majora's Mask is definitely my favorite. It was the only Zelda game that really felt like it significantly diverged from the theme of the previous ones after Link to the Past, even if it did reuse practically all of the assets. The three-day cycle, slightly darker tone, and transformative masks were all quite interesting changes in my book.

Wind Waker was probably the other one whose gimmick was a significant influence, but I found the sailing to be quite boring. Especially when it came time to do the Triforce fetch quest at the end.

Zelda 2 was interesting in that it tried a lot of new basic gameplay concepts in a way that other Zelda games didn't. But it was still rather flawed, and maintains the dubious distinction of being the only Zelda game to reward grinding.
Zelda 2 isn't the only sidescroller Zelda game unfortunately.

Oh Ma Gawd, burn it with fire!

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
I loved OoT, but you're allowed to have not played it. That doesn't piss me off. I just think you missed out is all. It's definitely worth playing today. Hell, I bought a 3DS for that very reason. I really enjoyed Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Awakening as well. I also really liked Skyward Sword. I hated--HATED--Majora's Mask, but that's just my own personal issue with time limits. But yes, back to what you were saying, definitely worth a play-through.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I love A Link to the Past personally I love how everything fits together in a logical but sneaky way, it's an awesome game.

oddball250

Aug 2, 2011
I have to say that my favorite Zelda games are; Minish Cap, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I liked OoT a whole lot, but my favorite remains MM. So many themes! Also, MM had some of the best NPC development ever

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
My favorite is Windwaker, a lot of people dislike the sailing, and I can see why, it takes a while and blah blah blah, but I find it very relaxing. The gameplay is also very fun and the art style simply makes the game a joy to look at

So...much...charm!

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
A Link to the Past was my first Zelda game and it is still my favorite to this day, the graphics for it's time was amazing and added a lot of atmosphere to the game. Unique bosses and even some annoying bosses (looking at you Moldorm at the Tower of Hera!) The music was also fantastic and each piece gave the player a better time enjoying the dungeon or location they were in.
All in all it was a great game that I still play every so often, not to mention you can hear parts of that game in Scott Pilgrim vs the World.