Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I have to go with Ocarina of Time. Nothing wrong with Majora's Mask, it was a brilliant game. But OoT was just so much bigger and wide open a world. Oot was all at once a complete change to everything Zelda was and yet every single bit the game Zelda had always been. Majora's Mask was just the really impressive DLC sized sequel to a truly great full game. Too many people make too much of the time mechanic. It added nor subtracted anything to the game, it was just an out of gameplay framing device. I only once had time run out... I did it on purpose close to the end because it had never even come close to happening yet and I wanted to see the cutscene. The Killer Bee's "helper" quests never felt necessary, and were just shoehorned in to further emphasize the "time" framing device (as if 95% of the game already wasn't screaming "look at the time parts, this is new and different woohoo time mechanic" like a kid on a diving board. Yeah, the time mechanic was a neat story device (if not anything that had any influence on the game) but as I said at the time, I wish they had made a whole Zelda game out of it.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
MUH! *twitch* Don't make me choose. I like them both for different reasons.

Ocarina of Time was an amazing story, deep dungeons and a massive world you could get lost in.

Majora's Mask was more immerssive for me though. I think it was the time thing I actually loved. You had that sense of really being on the edge of destruction.

But I can't choose between them...

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I think people overrate Manjora's Mask too much on this site.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, and it's very deep and adult as far as Zelda games go, but it does have some of the worst dungeon design this side of Phantom Hourglass. Plus, while implemented well into the story, the time mechanic was an incredible inconvenience, even when you did slow it down using the reverse Song of Time, time itself was still against you, and you still had to complete certain tasks in a set amount of time, and that is to me not a good thing at all.

Fun fact, did you know Manjora's Mask was actually going to be an expansion pack to Ocarina on the 64DD titled Zelda Gaiden, but due to the failure of the add-on it was reworked to cartridge as a stand alone game, and guess what... it definitely shows. Which brings me to my third problem with Manjora's Mask, reused assets. Nearly everything even down to most of the character models are reused from Ocarina of time, which makes it feel clearly rushed. I wouldn't mind the odd texture or two, but Nintendo insisted on using the same character models, and making them different people. That's like if in GTA 5, Rockstar puts Niko Bellic in the game, and calls him "Whoyounickabollockov" and he was a friendly neighbourhood shopkeeper, it really doesn't work.

Despite all this though, the game remains still fun, and true to Zelda conventions and roots, but Ocarina of Time is a true masterpiece, and a real labour of love, while Manjora's Mask is just a decent Zelda game, with a somewhat interesting premise.

Ocarina of Time is one of those games to me where I can rip off my rose tinted nostalgia shades, sit down and play it today, and it would still be fun and fresh as it was 13 years ago. There's not that many games that have that affect on me still, that is a true testimony to Ocarina's greatness.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Overall I liked Majora's Mask for it's great atmosphere and side quests however all the dungeons seem custom made to get on my tits. I still enjoy OoT but if I had to choose it would be MM

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
I think people overrate Manjora's Mask too much on this site, just to be hipster, because Ocarina of time is too "popular" or has too much praise.
Not really. I played whem both when they both came out and over the years I had always wanted to replay Majora rather then Ocarina. Not because anyone is trying to be hipster.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Korten12 said:
Jazoni89 said:
I think people overrate Manjora's Mask too much on this site, just to be hipster, because Ocarina of time is too "popular" or has too much praise.
Not really. I played whem both when they both came out and over the years I had always wanted to replay Majora rather then Ocarina. Not because anyone is trying to be hipster.
The love for the game on here seems almost cultish, the same with games such as Minecraft and the like.

I guess that's why many critics called Manjora's mask a cult classic it seems, as it never reached the popularity of Ocarina, and was mostly forgotten, except for the hardcore fans of the franchise.

You're right though, Hipster is probably not the correct word I was looking for, but I always seem to get that feeling when it comes to this site, no offence or anything, I use the term very loosely.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
I have played through Majora's Mask 4 times. It is one of the best games I have ever played and it's definitely my favourite Zelda game. It's not because it's the darker game (although it is) or because it's a hipster choice. It's because the gameplay mechanics are just fantastic, the time limit adds real tension to the dungeons and the quality of the puzzles to be solved is second to none.

The mask transformations, time travel and puzzle solving are just great. Plus, going back to areas you've already visited with new abilities to achieve new ends and collect new items is highly satisfying. I'm not just looking at this with eyes of nostalgia. I replayed this in 2011, and it was as enjoyable and challenging as ever.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Haven't play Majora's Mask yet, Project 64 seems to have a deep hatred of me trying to block Deku Shrub's attacks, meaning I can't get past the peanut machine gun fox hole plant in the Deku Tree :(

Wing Dairu

Jul 21, 2010
While I feel that Majora's Mask is the stronger artistic piece due to its complex themes of death and redemption, Ocarina of Time is still my favorite due to the memories attached to it.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
First of all, they are both great games.

But I prefer Ocarina. It's a better Zelda game. I like to put it like this: Majora's Mask is strong where the series is typically weak (side quests, secondary characters) and weak where the series is typically strong (dungeons, bosses).

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I played both, and I thought both were a different type of game. One was the standard Link v. Gannon format and one was a whole new direction. Majora's Mask to me was a bold move by Nintendo in making a non-standard Zelda game, which they did in a way with Windwaker (which is still by far my favorite game of the series next to Link to the Past).
I noticed also after the Majora's Mask release and then gamecube, Nintendo did take new directions with their games. Metroid became an FPS but retained its original "open" design. Mario Sunshine was interesting, though I never really played it much since I didn't own it. Galaxy was pretty damn cool, even tho it was still following the Mario 64-style it added new elements to its design. Even the DS games had their own new flavors.
Like it or not, I believe Majora's Mask was the real beginning of Nintendo's innovative techniques and even though Wii wasn't a success in some people's eyes (the amount of 3rd party shovelware does back that up a little) the overall fact is Nintendo isn't afraid to try something new.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
DustyDrB said:
First of all, they are both great games.

But I prefer Ocarina. It's a better Zelda game. I like to put it like this: Majora's Mask is strong where the series is typically weak (side quests, secondary characters) and weak where the series is typically strong (dungeons, bosses).
I'll have to disagree. Well, on part of it. I think Majora's Mask is the better Zelda game, and I prefer bosses from other games, but I generally enjoy Majora's dungeons more than the other games. That's not to say Ocarina of Time was bad, by any means, I think just MM was better. :x

I prefer Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time. To me, the story and characters are deeper, I enjoy most of the music in MM more than I did in OoT(with the exception of Gerudo Valley), the dungeons were relatively challenging and fun to get through, had more to do than simply complete the main quest. Actually, I've been thinking about trying to do a run where I don't complete ANYONE'S tasks and go through the game enough to have all the proper items, then go back in time and slow it down, then attempt to complete every single person's task all in one shot, without going back in time. Now THAT would be a challenge.

I also like that, for at least part of the game, Link has a personal stake in what he does in the game. The Skull Kid stole his ocarina and his horse, and turned him into a Deku shrub. Link actually had a reason to go after the bad guy in the beginning of the game, other than "You are the hero of prophecy, go beat up this bad guy and save the day."

KittyKat13

Oct 20, 2011
I love them both, but my favorite of the two is Majora's Mask!

The only thing wrong with it is that it ended too soon, I'd have gladly taken twice again as many full dungeons as it had, because the four it did have were very good and long. Once you get used to the time limit you stop noticing it so much, it freaked me out when I was playing the game the first time but only if I let it go to the final day, so I tried to always get things done before then. I love the shape-shifting masks, especially the Zora Mask, and the whole setting of the game is really interesting to me.

I hope that people these days will still play it, even though it doesn't look nearly as nice as Ocarina of Time 3D which all the kids are going to be playing now. I hope they don't forget that OoT has a sequel, it's a fun game.

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
Ocarina of Time. Although I'm having trouble on the mid-boss of Jabu Jabu, mainly because I keep rolling into that spiky thing in the middle, or into the wall which slows me down. Anyone got any pointers?

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
I couldn't get into MM. I was scared off by the whole "time limit/reliving the same three days" thing, but despite that I still gave it a shot.

And then was quickly defeated by a stupid mini-game in the first town that frustrated me so much I stopped playing entirely. Maybe my most shameful video game moment ever. Rather than skip it and move on, I decided that if I couldn't do that, and thus if I couldn't get 100%, I didn't want to play at all.

It was some stupid mini-game where you have to whack sticks with your sword. Couldn't do it. Ultimate ragequit.

On the other hand, I have very fond memories of Ocarina, though there are huge gaps where I don't recall a lot of things in the game. I tried playing it again in the last few years, and couldn't really get into it. Will try again after finishing Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, and maybe giving MM another shot.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
I love Majora's Mask and definitely prefer it over Ocarina.

Maybe it's because I've played every Zelda game Nintendo has ever made from beginning to end, maybe it's because I've played Ocarina of Time all the way through a bajillion times, but I'm kinda sick of defeating Ganon.

The Zelda games I now tend to enjoy most are those that have nothing to do with Ganon, and of the non-Ganon Zelda games, Majora's Mask is definitely my favorite. The time mechanic makes things more intense and most of all, it's just weird, like "Alice In Wonderland" weird. I like weird.