Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask?

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
I personally preferred Ocarina of time. The whole time mechanic and mask gameplay just did not appeal to me personally.

Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask?

StorytellingIsAMust

Jun 24, 2011
I found Ocarina to be pretty bland when compared to the much deeper world of Majora's Mask. But seriously, though, Wind Waker will always be my favorite.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Mojara Mask, just sooo much better then OoT, better world, characters, dungeons, etc...

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I like Majora's Mask a lot more, I don't know if it's just me but Ocarina of Time feels very "meh" when I play it now and although Majora's Mask does feel a little dated when I play it now, it also feels rather unique due to the time limit and the masks, so definitely Majora's Mask, what is odd is that due to the nostalgia that Ocarina of Time was the very first game I played on a console I thought I would still like it but nope, I really just find it rather boring now, it doesn't help that it's way too easy.
Though it may be that I'm just tired of Ocarina since back then I must have beaten it at least 50 times (it was the only game I had) and I have beaten Majora's Mask only once mainly because I don't have it, I just borrowed it, and though I have played it recently (my brother has it so I just play it when I visit him, heh).

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Like OP, I prefer OoT, because I just couldn't get into the time mechanic of Majoras Mask. Of course, I'm much older and smarter than when I played it last, so maybe I should give it another try?

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Fat_Hippo said:
Like OP, I prefer OoT, because I just couldn't get into the time mechanic of Majoras Mask. Of course, I'm much older and smarter than when I played it last, so maybe I should give it another try?
Same here. The whole time mechanic was a real turn off for me, yet I do want to give the game another shot. When playing a game like Zelda I like to take my time and explore every nook and cranny and play at my own slow pace. But, the limited time mechanic just didn't work for me.

OoT is my all time favorite but it might be partially due to nostalgia. I'd have to analyze the games carefully to determine which one is the better game.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I like Majora's Mask. Who doesn't(bloody fools, cretins, and scoundrels, that's who!)?

But I still prefer Ocarina's more relaxed atmosphere, though.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
Ocarina of Time.

Hated Majora. Completely missed the point. Didn't get it at all. I don't I ever made it to a dungeon.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Both were superb. I think I preferred Ocarina slightly due to more Dungeons. Majora was great but focused too much on the sidequests. If it combined huge sidequest amount with about 8 dungeons or so it would easily be my fave.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Both have what the other doesn't. Ocarina have the giant world while Majora have more focus on smaller things. Ocarina have a lot of dungeons while Majora have less, but they are bigger ones.

They both have annoying things too. OoT has the Shadow Temple while Majora has the Ikana well. OoT have the infamous Water temple (Which isn't that bad) while Majora have....Tingle.

I'm only happy they don't have the 10000 cutscenes of Skyward sword. (No one mentionned that criticism? The long cutscenes where they talk and talk and talk and talk. Damn it Nintendo! More action/puzzle/platforming and less Talk/RPG in my Zelda please).

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
jackpackage200 said:
I personally preferred Ocarina of time. The whole time mechanic and mask gameplay just did not appeal to me personally.
Exactly what you said, actually. I've always had a deep hate for timed events in games.
Never got very far in Majoras Mask. >.<

Von Dean

Feb 10, 2010
StorytellingIsAMust said:
I found Ocarina to be pretty bland when compared to the much deeper world of Majora's Mask. But seriously, though, Wind Waker will always be my favorite.
This is pretty much my own opinion handily written down for me :)

Duol

Aug 18, 2008
Loved Majora's Mask. The time mechanic was something new and original in a Zelda game as far as I know. You constantly had to be planning ahead, figuring out whether you had enough time for what you wanted to do next.

Would love to see Nintendo do something equally creative with new Zelda titles, then I might actually bother buying one of their consoles.

ZakuII

Apr 8, 2008
I loved both, but Majoras Mask was easily my favourite.

Time being an integral part of gameplay was awesome as were the various effect masks. Besides which, events occuring only during certain times made the whole thing feel more integrated and the npcs were more lively.

When you watch the credits to Majoras Mask, there's a real sense of progression, like you've helped every single person on display, and you'll know all of them intimately by the time you finish the game.

I think a lot of people don't realise that the time limit isn't as oppressive as it seems. I personally did one 'section' of the game per 3 days, and that was more than enough time to complete a dungeon and explore everything in the area. Then you reset the clock and move onto the next section, or start getting involved in time related sub plots.

Give it a shot those who haven't. To me it's the best Zelda game.

weker

May 27, 2009
Majoras Mask for me, it offered more freedom and fun in it's sandbox like experience, and I feel was way above it's time. It also felt like the story and bosses were much more entertaining and actually felt like it had much more emotion in the game, with sad stories, and the madness that the deku kid suffered and such.