Ocarina of Time's Sheik, Darunia, Ruto Playable in Hyrule Warriors - Update

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Ocarina of Time's Sheik, Darunia, Ruto Playable in Hyrule Warriors - Update

<youtube=5G2trM7wPV0>​
There's no rest for Hyrule Warriors as Koei Tecmo adds three more characters to the mix.

Update: A new video shows off every confirmed playable character so far, including Sheik, Darunia, and Ruto. Nintendo Everything [http://nintendoeverything.com/hyrule-warriors-scans-show-new-characters-ocarina-of-time-stages-and-more/] also scanned the pages of Famitsu for higher resolution images of the characters.

Original: Hyrule Warriors will have Sheik, Darunia, and Princess Ruto as playable characters, an issue of Famitsu revealed. All three characters are originally from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

As of now, Hyrule Warriors now has 10 playable characters that we know of. Of the new three, Sheik is the best known and has appeared in other games outside of Zelda, such as Super Smash Bros.. Darunia is the big boss of the Gorons and helps Link after some hesitation in Ocarina of Time. Representing another tribe, Princess Ruto is heir to the Zora throne and helps Link several times.

Unless Sheik ends up using male pronouns in Hyrule Warriors -- as it's unknown how Koei Tecmo will address Sheik's identity in relation to Zelda for this game -- Darunia is the first male addition to the playable roster since Link.

The last character announced as playable was Agitha from Twilight Princess is also playable [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135966-Legend-of-Zelda-Skyward-Swords-Fi-Joins-Hyrule-Warriors], as is newcomer Lana.

The Famitsu article also states that Lana and Impa will each have a second weapon. More details will come on Thursday when this Famitsu issue releases.

Koei Tecmo released a video today showing off Link's destructive ball and chain. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luk-ABuMxGA] We should expect videos of the new playable characters after the Famitsu issue releases.

Hyrule Warriors launches September 19 in Europe, September 20 in Australia, and September 26 in North America for the Wii U.

[gallery=2886]

Source: Siliconera [http://www.famitsu.com/news/201407/22057624.html]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I do like the think that Nintendo is doing this as some sort of middle finger to Ubisoft after the latter, intentionally or not, kinda gave up with the Wii U, after looking like it would be the one to help.

Dec 14, 2009
I was waiting for Sheik to be announced, I was waiting so hard XD

THANK YOU BASED NINTENDO!

Man, how can they afford to have all these female characters? They should really help out Ubisoft.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
I was waiting for Sheik to be announced, I was waiting so hard XD

THANK YOU BASED NINTENDO!

Man, how can they afford to have all these female characters? They should really help out Ubisoft.
They could just let Ubi use Shiek as an extra assassin in Unity. Might be too hard for them to implement her though. Those poor Ubi employees.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
So we have another male character, another female character, and a woman disguised as a man. Christ, Hyrule warriors looks more and more fun by the minute. I mean, being able to play as THIS guy?

http://www.oocities.org/bad_sage/darunia.jpg

Yes please! (Wonder if he'll do his dance)

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
YES, OoT CHARACTERS
Now, they just have to make the fairy ocarina a weapon, and let me play as Saria.

It never occurred to me, before now, just how good a fit Zelda is for Dynasty Warriors- every item Link's ever found in a dungeon is a weapon they can add in. Every misc character they want can become a great warrior, with the right application of particle effects.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
I do like the think that Nintendo is doing this as some sort of middle finger to Ubisoft after the latter, intentionally or not, kinda gave up with the Wii U, after looking like it would be the one to help.
I have to imagine that Nintendo has planned this game far in advance, and they wouldn't have time to add in a ton of female characters in response to the Ubisoft controversy. But it is a big middle finger to all the manchildren who think you can't have a good game with mostly female characters.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
blalien said:
Andy Shandy said:
I have to imagine that Nintendo has planned this game far in advance, and they wouldn't have time to add in a ton of female characters in response to the Ubisoft controversy. But it is a big middle finger to all the manchildren who think you can't have a good game with mostly female characters.
Oh yeah, I know =P I just like to think that's how it is. Or at least every time they release news about a new female character like this, Iwata is sitting in a chair with a picture of Yves Guillermot like so

Feraswondervahnn

Jul 15, 2010
Awesome!!! Been hoping for a Darunia announcement since I first saw about this game! Ruto is a pretty cool addition as well, and I expected Sheik would be announced sooner or later.

I do hope that Goron Link/Darmani or Zora Link/Mikau can still get a place in the roster though... And Deku Link because he's awesome!!!

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
blalien said:
Andy Shandy said:
Oh yeah, I know =P I just like to think that's how it is. Or at least every time they release news about a new female character like this, Iwata is sitting in a chair with a picture of Yves Guillermot like so

Yeah, Nintendo's really been on point lately. I'll get myself a Wii U once all these games actually release.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
blalien said:
Andy Shandy said:
Ubisoft's performance on the Wii U was all their fault. When you do halfassed support, you deserves halfassed results. Even ones that were decent like Zombi U and Rayman Legends had halfassed aspects about their releases, having little support from Ubisoft in one form or another.

Anyway, surprised to see Sheik as Zelda was already in. I was hoping for Darmani and Mikau from Majora, but Darunia and Ruto will probably work. I'm also trying to think of what kind of new weapons Impa and Lana are getting.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
GASP! FISH WAIFU! WE'RE REUNITED!

OT: Cool to here, curious about Shiek though? Maybe he/she'll be written as Zelda from a future where the bad guys win and comes back to try and rewrite time. That or another warrior from Impa's home.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Yes, a badass goron fucking chieftain running (or dare I dream roling?) around and fistpunching people in the face is all I need for a game to be good.

I was afraid nintendo had forgotten people like me, who prefer simple the simpler things in life over fancy pants magic, but now the broest of dudes is in the game and my interest in the game is rekindled.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Golly I'm going to enjoy getting a WiiU a few years down the line on the cheap and just sitting around with games like this and Wonderful 101.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
As much as I'm looking foreword to this game, I'm beginning to wonder if they're going into character overload.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Darunia? Awesome, I've been wanting more time as a Goron. I'm a little meh on Ruto, though Sheik could be a bit of fun, if the Smash Bros games have any reference on her attack style. Definitely looking forward to this game more and more.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
The previously announced Fi was one of my most wanted characters for this game, and Darunia is yet another one of the characters I've wanted playable. It seems I'm doing pretty good as far as characters go. Here's hoping we get confirmation of playable villains soon, I do so want to play as Ganondorf and Vaati, though most of all I'm waiting on confirmation of my most wanted character of all; Tingle.

Anyway, not much else to say, looking forward to the game and playing as Darunia. I'm assuming he'll be wielding the hammer as his primary weapon, that or having it as his secondary weapon with his primary weapon being just his fists.