Ocean Marketing vs. Penny Arcade

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
Flying Dagger said:
Because the ones in the mob laughing and approving have no effect on the ones doing the bad things that gain their approval? Digging up details about his possible drug addiction, court cases we cannot know details of, complete character assassination, review bombing a product he's tangentially (though this is debatable) related to, pretending to be him on twitter to get him into further trouble, sending his family death threats. These are the actions of the mob, don't think just because you didn't do them that you are absolved of all consequence.

Though you're right. It is funny. Because you'd understand that if you had read the articles I linked.
I'm not taking responsibility for what other people decide to do. If someone decides to steal from a store (read: non-violent, no confrontation), am I responsible for it because I dislike the business and feel like with the way they were managing their dealings that they were kind of asking for it?

No. I don't like the notion of people pretending to be Paul trying to cause trouble. That's annoying and adds to the mud of the situation. I don't like people sending death threats to family, but I know that happens in almost any high-profile scenario. Do I like people review-bombing the controller/add on? No, but that's to be expected and N-Controller is not fully absolved of their contribution to this problem (namely failing to ship, and choosing to go with Paul the "thug".)

The internet is not a private place, never was. Hell, my personal information has been compromised no less than six times in the past year through no fault of my own. Paul chose to provide that information, even if he didn't think it through.

I can sit here, and consider the information brought to me and make my opinion based on what I hear and what I can safely assume. (In this case assuming that a number of details are incomplete, while Paul's behavior in Marketting (sic) are constant and indicative of his behavior with his dealings.)

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Freyar said:
I'm not taking responsibility for what other people decide to do. If someone decides to steal from a store (read: non-violent, no confrontation), am I responsible for it because I dislike the business and feel like with the way they were managing their dealings that they were kind of asking for it?

No. I don't like the notion of people pretending to be Paul trying to cause trouble. That's annoying and adds to the mud of the situation. I don't like people sending death threats to family, but I know that happens in almost any high-profile scenario. Do I like people review-bombing the controller/add on? No, but that's to be expected and N-Controller is not fully absolved of their contribution to this problem (namely failing to ship, and choosing to go with Paul the "thug".)

The internet is not a private place, never was. Hell, my personal information has been compromised no less than six times in the past year through no fault of my own. Paul chose to provide that information, even if he didn't think it through.

I can sit here, and consider the information brought to me and make my opinion based on what I hear and what I can safely assume. (In this case assuming that a number of details are incomplete, while Paul's behavior in Marketting (sic) are constant and indicative of his behavior with his dealings.)
If you don't like the things the mob is doing - why do you approve of the outcome? Whether you like it or not posting on a message board saying that you like seeing this man getting slapped down (beyond just fired - which should be done for gross incompetence, or made to face for his actual crimes - which is a court matter) is to validate those who take these extreme measures.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all about the ends justifying the means, but here neither ends nor means are heading in the right direction.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
Flying Dagger said:
If you don't like the things the mob is doing - why do you approve of the outcome? Whether you like it or not posting on a message board saying that you like seeing this man getting slapped down (beyond just fired - which should be done for gross incompetence, or made to face for his actual crimes - which is a court matter) is to validate those who take these extreme measures.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all about the ends justifying the means, but here neither ends nor means are heading in the right direction.
Because I can approve of the outcome regardless of the means. Yes, the whole "ends justify the means" thing. They're two separate entities I can judge independently. I can like what the mob is doing, even if I don't like the outcome- much like I can approve of how easy it was to tell my microwave to nuke something, even if the item was burned.

While I know I have no say in what happens regarding Paul or N-Controller, I still have a small want to see him change for the better, this is why his apologies and excuses are still offensive. They're not indicative of him learning or changing anything (though it is extremely naive to think anything would), and basically lets him roll on like normal.

The Courts will decide whether or not anything criminal has been done. N-Controller has already punished him for his gross mishandling. It is not my place to charge Paul for anything, nor is it my place to fire Paul as a PR/Marketting (sic) guy. I am merely one who is observing with my own considerations with regards to everyone involved.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Freyar said:
Because I can approve of the outcome regardless of the means. Yes, the whole "ends justify the means" thing. They're two separate entities I can judge independently. I can like what the mob is doing, even if I don't like the outcome- much like I can approve of how easy it was to tell my microwave to nuke something, even if the item was burned.

While I know I have no say in what happens regarding Paul or N-Controller, I still have a small want to see him change for the better, this is why his apologies and excuses are still offensive. They're not indicative of him learning or changing anything (though it is extremely naive to think anything would), and basically lets him roll on like normal.

The Courts will decide whether or not anything criminal has been done. N-Controller has already punished him for his gross mishandling. It is not my place to charge Paul for anything, nor is it my place to fire Paul as a PR/Marketting (sic) guy. I am merely one who is observing with my own considerations with regards to everyone involved.
Firstly, the current ends seem to mostly revolve around Christoforo really enjoying all the attention he is being given.

But should they be what you seem to be wanting them to be - I see that as wishing a man to suffer - and I go beyond being unable to agree with that, and find myself pushed to actively argue against those who do wish it. Bad man or not (and as I stated previously - in a world full of actually evil people this is not someone who is worthy of this level of ire), I believe wishing someone to unduly suffer is wrong.
This emotion is fueled by anonymity and mob rule, and cannot be justified.

LHZA

Sep 22, 2010
Freyar said:
LHZA said:
People are acting like this guy posses some threat to them. How? Most of us will never have to interact with this guy face to face. The punishment should fit the crime, and all I'm saying is I think that's been accomplished. Mostly what I'm against is people still sending him emails and threats against his family. That's a sign things have gone too far.
I think it's the lack of a Jack Thompson that's earned some ire, on top of that the fact that he verbally abused a supporting structure for charity, intellectual (debatable depending on who you talk to) discourse, and generally a universal community for people that are in his demographic.

People threaten my parents and my siblings day in and day out. That's the common scenario for gaming in public matches. Considering this guy seems completely at home on Xbox Live, I'm not quite sure why this is any different than playing on there.

So far even though I haven't agreed with you I have enjoyed how well you've framed your arguments. I'm kind of lost here. I don't get what point you are trying to make. I don't think it's okay that people make threats to anyone on X Box live and I really don't think that just because it may be a ubiquitous thing to do over the internet makes it okay. I'm also not arguing that this guy was incredible rude and stupid and should not have had a job in PR, customer service, whatever, and I will also agree it's justified that he lost his job. I just think the ire against him has now become pretty over blown. I also don't get the Jack Thompson comment. I know who Jack Thompson is I just don't see how he factors into this.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
Flying Dagger said:
But should they be what you seem to be wanting them to be - I see that as wishing a man to suffer - and I go beyond being unable to agree with that, and find myself pushed to actively argue against those who do wish it. Bad man or not (and as I stated previously - in a world full of actually evil people this is not someone who is worthy of this level of ire), I believe wishing someone to unduly suffer is wrong.
This emotion is fueled by anonymity and mob rule, and cannot be justified.
There is a significant difference between wishing a guy to languish and wishing a guy to improve his perspective and habits. You see my motives as one thing, while my motives are completely different.

LHZA said:
I don't get what point you are trying to make. I don't think it's okay that people make threats to anyone on X Box live and I really don't think that just because it may be a ubiquitous thing to do over the internet makes it okay. [...] I just think the ire against him has now become pretty over blown. I also don't get the Jack Thompson comment. I know who Jack Thompson is I just don't see how he factors into this.
There's no current "Jack Thompson", an easy man to target as hostile to the gaming community. Sadly, the "Jack Thompson" target is squarely on Paul's face as far as the internet is concerned. A person easily able to be identified that dared to attack a foundation for gaming culture, no matter how stupid it was.

It's akin to the same reason why we are seeing Russians painted as bad guys in modern shooters again. Paul happened to pop up on the Internet's radar when there was no one to really take some of that aggression.

As far as Xbox Live? Eh. If he is a stereotypical Xbox Live player, nothing going on now outside of sheer volume would be out of the norm. I don't know, perhaps he's more uncomfortable because his real name is attached to the message as opposed to just his screen name or over Xbox Live's piss-poor voice codec.

agentorange98

Aug 30, 2011
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114994-Ocean-Marketing-Attempts-To-Extort-Former-Client

So yeah Paul's back in the news again for trying to extort the company that fired him by locking them out of their email, twitter, and various social networking services.

Nergy

Jul 21, 2011
agentorange98 said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114994-Ocean-Marketing-Attempts-To-Extort-Former-Client

So yeah Paul's back in the news again for trying to extort the company that fired him by locking them out of their email, twitter, and various social networking services.
Was just about to post that. You're going to see A LOT of the people who defended him (Yes, you WERE defending him) suddenly shut up.

"He had a bad day, he's only human!"

"He has a wife and child!"

"You've ruined his life! If he kills himself, the blood is on YOUR hands!"

Doesn't sound as noble when you have to say:

"He's only broke the law by extorting money from people!"

Nergy

Jul 21, 2011
FelixG said:
Flying Dagger said:
Freyar said:

Firstly, the current ends seem to mostly revolve around Christoforo really enjoying all the attention he is being given.
Will you people STOP FALLING FOR HIS CRAP?!

At 7:12am this morning I got another mail from Paul. It was one line and simply said:

?You have the power Mike Please make it stop?
He would NOT have asked Mike to make it stop if he was enjoying it. If you can not even read his emails please do not speculate on group psychology when you cant even speculate properly about one man who put his feelings in writing.
Read his twitter feed at @oceanstratagy. He's posting links to articles that are completely against him. He may be deflecting, i'll admit that.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
xXxJessicaxXx said:
@BiscuitTrouser @ZacharyAmaranth
This all took place in the public domain...you are acting like we are all as bad as him for laughing at his foolish actions.

The internet didn't hang him up and string him from a tree. He ruined his own life at the end of the day.

People makes jokes about current affairs on the internet all the time I'm pretty sure nobody is trying to slander him.

It boggles the mind why you would want to defend this guy at all...

And as for Watchdog I was referring to the fact that they point out conmen, name them publicly and warn people. I imagine you knew that though and where just trying to twist my words...

I think you are confusing me defending the people you see as slanderers and me being puzzled as to why you would all out defend someone who is clearly guilty of what he was originally accused of. Making a strawman argument in other words.
I think you are confusing me with trying to defend a mans rights with me trying to justify being a complete asshole. Goddamit this is pretty simple.

These things are ok:

Hating him
Demanding he be fired
Asking for appropriate legal action
Sending complaints to the company for poor PR

These things are NOT ok:

Digging up details about his possible drug addiction using court cases we cannot know details of
complete character assassination
review bombing a product he's tangentially
pretending to be him on twitter to get him into further trouble
sending his family death threats.

Im defending him from the bottom list. Not the top. The bottom list is unlawfull and wrong. The top list is perfectly good, ive actually done all of these things.

The internet has on a few occasions done the bottom list. He ruined his career. But he didnt ruin his own life or bring the bottom things on himself. The top things he brought on himself. The bottom things are mob mentality and the internet being harsh and brutal.

Im defending him because, wait for it, youve heard this one before.

HES AN ASSHOLE BUT HE HAS HUMAN RIGHTS

I would defend a thief from being infringed on. What makes this guy different to anyone else in terms of what is and isnt right to do to him as a random angry internet mob. Why DONT you care that his rights are infringed? "I dont like you, therefor its ok if people violate your rights" Is an INSANELY selfish attitude. You dont understand why im defending him because apprently you dont understand that people, despite breaking the law, have the right to be jugded fairly by their peers and have sanctions brought down on them. Not the things from the bottom list.

Maybe it boggles your mind that i think rights should be preserved under all circumstances, but it doesnt boggle mine. I DONT AGREE WITH WHAT HE DID. FOR THE LAST TIME. I DONT LIKE HIM, BUT I WILL STILL FIGHT FOR HIS RIGHTS. Because id expect others to do the same for me. And im not a hypocrit. I cant make it clearer than that. Ive even given you two lists. First im fine with. Bottom im not fine with. Ill advocate the top, and defend him from the bottom. Clear enough? Im defending him because hes a person. Im kinda sickened you wouldnt defend a persons rights because you dont like them.

"First they came for the communists" and all that stuff.

Did you even read my post about the slander? From what you wrote it doesnt sound like you did at all :C People taking a twitter with his name and saying offencive and illegal things is NOT parody, in the same way sending threats signed with your name after you had a violent outburst is not parody. Its further slander.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
BiscuitTrouser said:
Sorry but I think everyone can see it is parody, you are just trying to make it out more than it is to make your point.

This has already died down and your dire consequences haven't happened...

I really do think you are overreacting about this and just want to put people on a guilt trip because they laughed at someone making a fool of himself.

None of the people in this thread are doing these things:
Digging up details about his possible drug addiction using court cases we cannot know details of

(The stuff has been linked has already been found nobody here is doing those things)

So why do you feel the need to come in the thread and accuse us of all being human rights violators.

I think it's the tone of accusation that bothers me the most. Most people here are just laughing at a comedic situation that's taken place in the public domain. I think everyone here is capable of seeing the line.

In finality I'll say that ALL of the things people have dug up on him have been from PUBLIC websites. No one has gone through his trash or his mail or tapped his phone line.

Threatening his family is going way too far the rest has pretty much comedic intentions.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
@OceanDeepSea? Yeah, that's his career and his company down there, with cement overshoes provided by none other than Paul Christoforo. This wasn't his first time doing this to people- one incident started in February, another in September. To those who say, he wouldn't have gotten away with it, he did before- he slandered a customer in Australia and their whole country, and he treated another customer like ass (whose name was Nate). He did it before and reaped no consequence for his actions. I think that had Dave not called him out on what happened, he would have kept right on treating people like crap.

I don't agree with threatening his wife, his kid, and whatnot, but hey- he got a great lesson here that most people learn before they leave high school- and when you get those lessons later, they cost more and hurt more. For his wife and son, I have sympathy. For him, well, he brought a lot of this on himself. Maybe even all of it. My sympathy for him is very. very limited.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
xXxJessicaxXx said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
Sorry but I think everyone can see it is parody, you are just trying to make it out more than it is to make your point.

This has already died down and your dire consequences haven't happened...

I really do think you are overreacting about this and just want to put people on a guilt trip because they laughed at someone making a fool of himself.

None of the people in this thread are doing these things:

(The stuff has been linked has already been found nobody here is doing those things)

So why do you feel the need to come in the thread and accuse us of all being human rights violators.

I think it's the tone of accusation that bothers me the most. Most people here are just laughing at a comedic situation that's taken place in the public domain. I think everyone here is capable of seeing the line.

In finality I'll say that ALL of the things people have dug up on him have been from PUBLIC websites. No one has gone through his trash or his mail or tapped his phone line.

Threatening his family is going way too far the rest has pretty much comedic intentions.
I said nothing of dire consequences at all. What consequences did i threaten to happen? I was just saying that the mob hatred seemed a little strong in places. Strong enough to merit actions on the bottom list. The fact this happened at all irks me, any of the bottom list i mentioned i thought was too far.

If i gave the tone of accusation i apologise. I seriously do. I never intended to imply anyone who simply stated an opinion on the guy, commented, or are laughing are in ANY way commiting any of the bottom list, or are anything other than simple bystanders. I feel that those commiting acts from the bottom list are going too far but i havnt named any of them, since i doubt anyone on this site would do such a thing.

I feel its perfectly within your right to comment as you do, power to you.

The twitter ill admit, now ive looked at all its tweets, seems to be set up with intention to troll or mock him. However even looking through this single thread more than a few users have thought it was him and lumped more hatred his way. Ironically undeserved hatred for an easily hatable man. I think that while in the tone of humor the twitter egdes the line a lot, its touching on impersonation.

I didnt come here to accuse you of being human rights violators. Where ANYWHERE did i claim that people doing the things from the top list were doing anything wrong? I supported those actions. I came to talk about the actions of a few, regardless of their membership of this website, seem to be taking this very far indeed. Im not sure where you got this notion that i accused everyone around me of being human rights violators. My last post was very very very very very clear.

Top list: Awesome

Bottom list: Bad

I said NOTHING as to who was committing such acts, only that the bottom ones were happening and i disagreed. I said NOTHING about accusing users here of these crimes. Ever. Please quote me of saying an escapist user or you specifically did these things ever? I think we have a misunderstanding here. I never inteded to accuse.

Its fine to laugh at him. Im laughing at him. I dont want to guilt anyone.

I mean no offence by this but did you read my last post? Honestly did you read it all the way through? The way you are talking does imply you did not. The allegations i am accusing escapist users are unfounded and a little offencive. Im sorry this misunderstanding took place.

The internet is larger than this thread. I was talking about the internet, nowhere did i say that when refering to such illegal acts i was doing so soley against those talking in this thread. I dont know where you got this idea from. Its a little confusing.

Tselis

Jul 23, 2011
CombustibleKoala said:
snip

And so Penny Arcade leveled the company, sewed the ground with salt, and forbade any gamers to dwell there (Krahulik 24:4)
I'm glad I wasn't eating or drinking, because I lol'ed. This whole thing is just beautiful.

Tselis

Jul 23, 2011
ms_sunlight said:
Crikey, I've never been quoted so much in my life!

Look, I said Dave had a legitimate complaint. I just think he was a bit of a dick about how he expressed it - shouty caps, swearing, personal comments, borderline racist terms like "rice rocket". There are better ways to complain. It in no way overshadows the phenomenal car-crash coming from the other side, but there are no angels here.

It's worth noting that while it's caused a hell of a lot of internet nonsense, it's not going to get him his product any faster and it's yet to get him an apology or any compensation.
Unless the customer drops a nuke on your house, you have no excuse to not treat them with anything less than unfailing courtesy. That what customer SERVICE is.

Tselis

Jul 23, 2011
Jove said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Holy cow at mike's update. http://penny-arcade.com/2011/12/26/an-update1

I think there is a big difference between being sorry and being sorry you got caught. I have a real problem with bullies. I spent my childhood moving from school to school and I got made fun of everyplace I landed. I feel like Paul is a bully and maybe that?s why I have no sympathy here. Someday every bully meets and even bigger bully and maybe that?s me in this case. It?s the same thing that happened with Jack Thompson. It might not always make the most business sense and it is a policy that has caused us some legal problems, but I really don?t give a shit about that. When these assholes threaten me or Penny Arcade I just laugh. I will personally burn everything I?ve made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames.

-Gabe out
That stance is inspiring and a little scary at the same time.
that line of his alone just made him became my new idol! XD
When I read that I told my husband that Mike/Gabe now had a piece of my heart. It is just a tiny piece, mostly the extremely vindictive part that loves fire.

Tselis

Jul 23, 2011
FFHAuthor said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
That stance is inspiring and a little scary at the same time.
The entire tone of that update by Mike is both terrifying and beautiful at the same time. It makes my laugh in delight at the awesome feeling of seeing someone in a position of power stand for something and admit that it might not be the best thing to do or the easiest thing to do...but you know he bloody well means it, and he barely had to do anything...the Internet did it.

All hail the Internet in it's glory, both wonderful and terrible.
And now at last it comes. You will give me the Ring freely! In place of a Dark Lord you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark but beautiful and terrible as the morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth. All shall love me and despair!' - Lady Galadriel

Something like this?