Ocean Marketing's Founder Claims He's Sorry

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
As I said before, the internet has tasted blood in the water. There's no stopping them now. The only thing he could do is flounce. And even that might not work.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
I see the fire isn't burning hot enough. Lets bring more witches.

I bet it's good for business too.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
Two thoughts here - I haven't seen any evidence that his wife and child were being attacked. Having read several articles on the subject, the only person citing that is him.

Second, if he is a one man PR firm (which I think is likely), chances are, Avenger was his only client. Ergo, he isn't exactly lying when he says he hasn't lost any other clients.

Regardless, the guy's a dick. Glad he got his comeuppance. Watching him get taken down by Mike just gives me another reason to love PAX.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
*sigh* why always go after bystanders? I mean yeah his wife got TERRIBLE taste in men but harassing her and her son? Not mature in any faction.

OT:If he gets anything less than jail after all the dirt that internet dug up about him I'm surprised. If he ever get a job inside marketing/technology again that is nothing but a miracle.

Jul 9, 2008
Knight Templar said:
Jack and Calumon said:
This man is a bastard. He beats his wife....
I keep hearing that, don't suppose there is a source?
I saw a police report on the other thread, let me see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: Here [http://courtindex.sdcourt.ca.gov/CISPublic/casedetail?casenum=DVN14325&casesite=NC&applcode=D] you go. Keep in mind, it could be another guy with the same name.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
"I didn't know who that guy at Penny Arcade was," he admitted. "If I had known, I would have treated the situation a little better."
You utter ****. Sorry, I wouldn't normally say things like that, at all, but what the FUCK? You work in PR, don't you? This isn't public relations, this is just douchebaggery!

Honestly, I do think going after his wife and two month old kid is just wrong. If anyone did, cause he's the only source that says that, but still, if anyone is, the hell do they have to do with it?

I haven't had many bad PR experiences, but when I did, this is what I felt like saying. If you work in PR, recognize that the people you are dealing with don't want to be dealing with you usually.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I'm probably in the extreme minority, but I think the threats to the wife and child are to some extent, justified. The man does not know how to listen to anyone or apologize, and the only way he'll do any of the aforementioned (and learn a lesson or three) is if his loved ones received some splash damage.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Fawxy said:
Aggieknight said:
Two thoughts here - I haven't seen any evidence that his wife and child were being attacked. Having read several articles on the subject, the only person citing that is him.
Is it honestly that unlikely?
Yes.
Because if his family was in any kind of danger beyond the vague threats that are par for the course when on the internet, or a pub for that matter, then he would not keep intentionally pissing people off.
He switches between the "leave my family alone, I'm sorry" of a moron who got in too deep and the "come at me bro, ya mad c**t" that comes from a teenage delinquent, switching so quickly I don't think there is real danger. Of course he could just not honestly care about them, that is a thing as well.

Yes going after the family is wrong, but I think he's trying to gain some sympathy, nothing more. The internet is like a bear, the only way to win is play dead.
Knight Templar said:
Jack and Calumon said:
This man is a bastard. He beats his wife....
I keep hearing that, don't suppose there is a source?
I saw a police report on the other thread, let me see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: Here [http://courtindex.sdcourt.ca.gov/CISPublic/casedetail?casenum=DVN14325&casesite=NC&applcode=D] you go. Keep in mind, it could be another guy with the same name.
Thank you.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Sadly, he still has qualifications to work for the GOP and News Corp, given their records. So this won't be the last we hear from this douche.
Kevlar Eater said:
I'm probably in the extreme minority, but I think the threats to the wife and child are to some extent, justified. The man does not know how to listen to anyone or apologize, and the only way he'll do any of the aforementioned (and learn a lesson or three) is if his loved ones received some splash damage.
That only works if he actually cares about them. I have to doubt that a man who can neither respect himself or people who he deals with at his job has much respect to bring home.
If anything it might help the wife wake up and decide she needs to be away from him during this shitstorm. And once then, she might decide she likes being away from him altogether.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
meh, he seems like a generally harmless dick. Even if he's not sorry, it seems like a waste of time to go after him now that he's been properly thrashed

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
This man is a bastard. He beats his wife and acts like a bellend at his work. I hope with my sadistic heart that bad things happen to him in the future.
I...I think I love you...possibly Calumon as well...

OT: I've said everything I could possibly say about this unapologetic meta-**** in the other 2 threads on the matter.

Mike (Gabe of Penny Arcade) put it best yesterday: This guy isn't sorry. He's sorry he got caught.

"If I had known, I would have treated the situation a little better."

Really? Is that supposed to be an apology? So you only act like a dick to people you don't think are important. Great policy, asshole.

The fact that he proceeds to even talk about Mike being "unprofessional" is laughable. It's disgusting that this man still has any semblance of a job in this industry. Fuck you, good sir.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a vengeful prick (I make Sweeney fucking Todd look like a boy scout the way I hold onto grudges), so I can unashamedly say that I hope this **** is utterly ruined for life. I hope his wife leaves and takes the kid with her, using the domestic violence charge to keep him the hell away from them.

As for why people are carrying this so far, it's very simple: To make sure it doesn't happen again. Simply reading the Kotaku interview spells out plain as day that he doesn't feel a single iota of remorse for acting like he did. If the pressure lets off he'll figure he can get away with it again and again. It's just like the bully Stilson in the first chapter of Ender's Game: You have to destroy him so thoroughly that he can't even consider doing it again. You can't just win this fight, you have to win all of them at once. Show him that his actions will not be tolerated, and there are indeed repercussions.

I don't, however, wish any harm to his wife, and especially not his son (if they exist, I'm not prepared to take anything this clown says at face value). The only mistake his wife made was marrying this tosser and letting the domestic violence incident go. His son is completely innocent in this matter.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Wow. Just wow. Especially this little gem:

Christoforo also said his response was driven in part by what he saw as the disrespectful tone of the messages that came before it [PhunkyPhazon: "It" being before Penny Arcade got involved]. "Not that I don't have respect for anybody, but if someone's badmouthing me or being a little punk or being a jerk, they don't deserve respect," he said. "You can't expect to go up and say 'Hey you piece of s***,' and expect respect. Send an email, introduce yourself. ... I trust everybody until they give me a reason not to respect them. I'm not a tough guy, not a bully, but at same time not going to take s*** if it's uncalled for.
Dude, the guy called you a piece of shit because when he asked for more information over a legitimate customer concern, you gave him THIS:

Yes it can be used with xtend play if you remove the stand and no one is allowed to cancel and re order if we catch anyone doing it we will simply just cancel your order all together and you can buy it retail somewhere else.

Things happen in manufacturing if your unhappy you have 7 days from the day your item ships for a refund. You placed a pre order just like any software title the gets a date moved due to the tweaks and bugs not being worked out and GameStop or any other place holds your cash and im sure you don?t complain to activision or epic games so put on your big boy hat and wait it out like everyone else. The benefit is a token of our appreaciation for everyone no one is special including you or any first time buyer . Feel free to cancel we need the units were back ordered 11,000 units so your 2 will be gone fast. Maybe I?ll put them on eBay for 150.00 myself. Have a good day Dan.
Before that, Dave was doing a good job of acting polite. He was obviously starting get a little frustrated, but who wouldn't be?

It sickens me that this guy is willing to put the blame on everyone but himself. Oh sure, he says he had a "bad day", but fact of the matter is that numerous other Christoforo customer service incidents have been dug up, and apparently he's been having a "bad day" for a really damn long time. I have no sympathy for this bastard.

His wife and kid, however, are a different story. Seriously, what do they have to do with this?

Frostwhisper21

Jul 16, 2010
You know what's better than sorry? Not screwing up in the first place.

Really though it's tasteless to target the child. Well anyone with death threats really, but insulting the Wife would be understandable (she is enabling this douchebag to be a douchebag by marrying him, after all) i suppose.

They are trolls though...you can't really take these people seriously...but at the same time you never know when one will actually pull through... and they have done some pretty messed up stuff before.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Scow2 said:
Looking at his response to his infamy, and the profile of the guy, I'm almost sympathetic to his plight, though I hope his days as a PR guy are over. He's a young, over-enthusiastic idiot who got himself in way over his head because E-mail is terrible for communication. Tip - If you're in customer service, stay AWAY from websites like "Not Always Right".

However, I do believe he needs to look for a new career field.
Did you read the email thread at Penny Arcade? It's way beyond the problems with text communication.

For example, this mail from Dave after a few days of getting vague, minimally informative or helpful answers:

I noticed the updated info on the webpage, and I don?t understand why there is absolutely no benefit given to those like me who have already ordered, and paid their money. You?ve had my money interest free for nearly two months, yet now ANY new order will get $10 off?.meaning I should just cancel my order for 2 controllers, get my money back, then re-order.

My other questions is regarding item compatibility. Ocean Marketing seems to be involved with the Xtendplay controller holder, so I was wondering if the Avenger N-Controller can be used in conjunction with the Xtendplay (for both Xbox and PS3)? Thanks
Was replied to with the following:

Yes it can be used with xtend play if you remove the stand and no one is allowed to cancel and re order if we catch anyone doing it we will simply just cancel your order all together and you can buy it retail somewhere else.

Things happen in manufacturing if your unhappy you have 7 days from the day your item ships for a refund. You placed a pre order just like any software title the gets a date moved due to the tweaks and bugs not being worked out and GameStop or any other place holds your cash and im sure you don?t complain to activision or epic games so put on your big boy hat and wait it out like everyone else. The benefit is a token of our appreaciation for everyone no one is special including you or any first time buyer . Feel free to cancel we need the units were back ordered 11,000 units so your 2 will be gone fast. Maybe I?ll put them on eBay for 150.00 myself. Have a good day Dan.
There's just no way to spin "put on your big boy hat" as a misunderstanding because of text. The "no one is special" line is pushing it, and definitely not something you want in a PR rep. The dismissive "Feel free to cancel" and "Maybe I'll put them on Ebay" are just blatantly antagonistic. The wrong name would be understandable in any other email, but in the context of the rest of this message, just shows how much contempt is on display here.

Now, after this, Dave reviews all that is fucked up and horrible with this situation, and drops the appearance of patience because by this point it's obvious that professionalism has long since gone out the window. His post is too long to paste here, but if you go to PA you'll find that, all things considered, it was fairly appropriate for the situation.

Now, when I was on a CS call with Tiger Direct after they fucked up my order and cost me a week's worth of work, and I lost patience and dropped the F-bomb, the rep merely replied "Sir, if we're not going to keep this professional, there's no point in continuing with this." Setting aside the question of whether the situation had been professional before the call even started, that was Tiger's problem, not the rep's. I was the asshole, and he responded pretty well, I think. In contrast, this is part of how Paul responded to Dave:

Son Im 38 I wwebsite as on the internet when you were a sperm in your daddys balls and before it was the internet, thanks for the welcome to message wurd up. Grow up you look like a complete child bro. I Don?t have my controller so im gonna cry to the world ? Really ?? Hey take that free time and do something more productive. All you had to do was check the like everyone else , people have inquired but you?re the douchiest of them all J
That's the part of the message that does not consist of name-dropping, incomprehensible gibberish, or comments that have nothing to do with the issue under discussion.

The messages to Mike Krahulik are not much better. I get the sense from what Mr. Christoforo says that he has a great deal of difficulty understanding how to deal with people. I think he also perceives this episode as bad luck or people ganging up on him rather than something that can be traced solely to his attitude. He certainly doesn't seem capable of knowing when he's crossed the line or how to make amends.

I'm starting to think that he's mentally incompetent in some way, perhaps even sociopathic.

I'm also utterly confused as to why a person like him, mentally handicapped or not, would ever go into PR. The skills a PR person needs are precisely the things his personality is savagely deficient in.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Its horrible that people are targetting his wife and kid over this but... is it possible to attack a 2 month old over the internet? I mean its not like he can read or understand any clever or witty insult. Even if the dad read it out to him, at best the kid would probably just gurgle?

The PR guy has been pretty honest though, you cant fault him there. Is he sorry? Of course not. If anything hes probably more angry at the original whistleblower, and currently contemplating taking the shipping address and hunting him down for swift retribution.
He is however sorry for getting involved with PA. Its like hes just spilt wine on the don's best shirt at an Italian-American get together. He doesnt blame his actions in the lead up to the incident, just the actual cock-up in question.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I should have gone into "marketting."

Clearly, I don't even need much of an education, or even an outgoing, cheery attitude if this Christoforo guy is any indication.

Also, misleading headline is misleading! He didn't even claim to be sorry!

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
So basically this guy couldn't get a job cleaning the bathrooms at mcdonalds it sounds like.

Also Sober Tal: Where's the connection to a jock beating up a geek? The guy was an asshole nor was he qualified for PR or tech support and should have been fired and probably made peoples lives harder, nerds just did their thing and were beat up for it.

This isn't the same as Rebecca Black where she did something she liked and the masses made fun of her for it being awful.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Sixcess said:
vansau said:
OK, on one hand: Going after the man's wife and young son is definitely wrong. The fact that people are harassing his wife on Facebook and leaving voice messages containing death threats directed at both her and his two-month-old child is disgusting.
Ah yes, internet justice at its finest.

That's the problem with mobs. They're not very precise, or picky. If this wasn't the internet, and the keyboard warriors concerned weren't massive pussies, they'd be smashing his windows and throwing shit through his letterbox.

That's my entire objection to this whole sorry story. This guy is an asshole, no question, but the mob is never right, and it's frankly scary to see how quickly so many people can start hating a complete stranger.

Good going, Internet.
Excuse me for asking, but where is this proof that his wife and child have been getting threats? I for one won't believe a goddamned thing this guys says that isn't verifiable.