Ocean Marketing's Founder Claims He's Sorry

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
I'm confused. Where does it say that he's the founder? How is the founder fired from his own company?

I think your facts are messed up there.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
So really, he's much like any PR hack, just in this case the oily coating of politeness had been washed off.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Kevlar Eater said:
I'm probably in the extreme minority, but I think the threats to the wife and child are to some extent, justified. The man does not know how to listen to anyone or apologize, and the only way he'll do any of the aforementioned (and learn a lesson or three) is if his loved ones received some splash damage.
I disagree....

I could take the whole moral ground about how disgusting it is to assault an innocent third party because your upset with someone they know but I won't. I will instead focus on your argument that it is the only way to get to a guy like this. Let us take a closer look at the psychology of this person when it comes to families.

Now I will admit this is a 'amateur' reading, hence it is my personal opinion as I do not hold any degrees in psychology. Much of this might be tainted with my own personal bias but I have rubbed shoulders with people like him in the past. I have seen the horrible way that they treat their families when they think it will not hurt their social standing. It is all about the self with people like this, he can't even apologize when he clearly messed up without throwing around blame, side stepping and in the end offering an apology that is more along the lines of 'I am sorry I got caught.'

People like this do NOT care for their families as much as they would like you to think. Families to them are a requirement to seem normal in society. It is a smoke screen! At best because they don't want to be 'that 40 year old guy' that turns up alone at work related events. At worse, they know a family is going to put people at ease, giving them long enough to get what they want out of the person in question. In short, they know a family is expected in society and they simply want to promote themselves as best as possible.

They tend to control these families, abusively for the most part, as they start to view the people within as 'theirs.' They are the 'head of the family,' the 'man of the house,' and anything they say has to go or else. They don't show anything that others might consider to be actual love or tender feeling and don't give a damn about the family past 'what can it do for me.' That is why I am not surprised to see a domestic assault charge, if this is the same guy, because it is par for the course.

Hence: you are probably attacking someone who is even more of a victim from this arsehole then the customer he abused.

I have tasted this first hand. My abusive father was one such person, willing to promote himself as a family man but more then willing to beat and psychologically abuse his family. My mother took the brunt of this, literally throwing herself between him and her children. When my mother finely thought we where old enough, don't understand her logic for being a human shield till we where able to realize the situation ourselves but it is probably a mother thing, she got the cops involved and he quickly left like the coward he was. It was less then two months later that he got married to someone else, whom he likely was having an affair with.

I won't tell you what he did to my sister, whom left with him out of some misguided daddy issues, but I will say when he was done with her this 'family guy' had no problems throwing her out to live on the streets....

Schuldrich

Jan 16, 2010
BrunDeign said:
I'm confused. Where does it say that he's the founder? How is the founder fired from his own company?

I think your facts are messed up there.
He's in charge of a PR firm. Companies hire him to provide PR for their products. So even as the owner of his company he can be fired from the jobs he's been hired out to.

After reading this false apology I felt everything Gabe said even more. The man continues to say, "I'm sorry I did this. If I had only known that he really was in charge of PAX and Penny Arcade I wouldn't have done it." Or, "If Mike hadn't started our conversation so rudely and attacked me for no reason it wouldn't have escalated." This incident began way before then. You had already lost control, and if you would've stepped back and thought about your response like a person in charge of a PUBLIC RELATIONS firm should, this could've been avoided. Instead you rationalize it the way, ironically, a man who hits his family does. "I'm sorry I hit you, but if you didn't make me mad I wouldn't have to."

If he's really sorry he needs to come out and say, "I'm sorry. Things got out of hand and I handled them poorly." then stop. If he continues he'll continue to throw blame and excuses out and it will unravel those words again.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
chaosyoshimage said:
Dang it, you beat me to it.

OT: Yeah, no, I don't think an "I'm sorry" will cut it. Has this guy been fired yet, or what?

I need answers.

Feb 13, 2008
Sixcess said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Sixcess said:
If this wasn't the internet, and the keyboard warriors concerned weren't massive pussies, they'd be smashing his windows and throwing shit through his letterbox.
Or Egypt, Libya and Syria who did that to get rid of a corrupt dictator.
You didn't seriously just compare those popular uprisings against oppressive governments in which people were were arrested, tortured and killed to this bout of epic nerdrage, did you?
You seem to be...Nothing good comes of mob rule...

And your use of "epic nerdrage" points out your camp quite firmly, thank you.

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
As I mused yesterday in the other thread, he simply didn't believe "Mike" was important or, more accurately, that he was any threat to him, so he used his normal modus operandi - being a douche.

The problem with playing chicken with oncoming trains is, sometimes the train hits you and when it does it's very unsympathetic to your ragdoll body cartwheeling through the air.

The man lived his "professional" career as a PR guy by bluffing, bullying and bullshitting. It was only a matter of time before someone called him on it.

Karma is a *****, and also, on occasion, hilarious.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I agree that his wife and child shouldn't be targeted, he should recieve all of the hates.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
matrix3509 said:
Excuse me for asking, but where is this proof that his wife and child have been getting threats?
Where is the proof that they haven't?

I find it all too easy to believe that some of the internet tough guys who've been jumping onto this bandwagon would be doing this.

I for one won't believe a goddamned thing this guys says that isn't verifiable.
Guilty until proven innocent, eh? Nice way of dismissing any aspect of this that doesn't fit into your worldview.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
You seem to be...Nothing good comes of mob rule...

And your use of "epic nerdrage" points out your camp quite firmly, thank you.
You're confusing revolution with rioting. No, not even rioting - petty, spiteful, childish harrassment and bullying.

...and my 'camp'? What does that even mean? If you're not for us, you're against us? Time and again during the 'discussions' on this story I find people stating that I must be on this guy's side because I'm not cheering on the mob. It doesn't work like that.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Scow2 said:
Looking at his response to his infamy, and the profile of the guy, I'm almost sympathetic to his plight, though I hope his days as a PR guy are over. He's a young, over-enthusiastic idiot who got himself in way over his head because E-mail is terrible for communication. Tip - If you're in customer service, stay AWAY from websites like "Not Always Right".

However, I do believe he needs to look for a new career field.
I'm thinking McDonald's, although they probably wouldn't take him because the job requires interaction with customers. Maybe warehouse work.

Kevlar Eater said:
I'm probably in the extreme minority, but I think the threats to the wife and child are to some extent, justified. The man does not know how to listen to anyone or apologize, and the only way he'll do any of the aforementioned (and learn a lesson or three) is if his loved ones received some splash damage.
You have a point. Most people in this thread are against molesting his relatives, but I doubt that they don't feel a little satisfaction that every way to hurt this guy is being explored. I know I do, all it means is that I can't claim to be a morally righteous warrior for truth, I am just a man who enjoys seeing people punished for their wrong doings.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Sixcess said:
matrix3509 said:
Excuse me for asking, but where is this proof that his wife and child have been getting threats?
Where is the proof that they haven't?

I find it all too easy to believe that some of the internet tough guys who've been jumping onto this bandwagon would be doing this.

I for one won't believe a goddamned thing this guys says that isn't verifiable.
Guilty until proven innocent, eh? Nice way of dismissing any aspect of this that doesn't fit into your worldview.
I'm amazed. You actually managed to combine a request for evidence that something didn't happen with the presumption of innocence. Bravo. Blatant hypocrisy aside, Christoforo has demonstrated a willingness to lie in order to paint himself as the victim. His word just isn't trustworthy.

While mob mentality on the internet can be scary at times, this is not one of those times. There hasn't been much done that crosses any lines. Threatening a baby isn't cool; if anyone is doing that, they need to cut it out. Other than that, he's been mocked on twitter and spam messaged. This isn't the example of overblown internet justice you're trying to condemn. This isn't another Jessi Slaughter or even Cooks Source incident. It's just an unrepentant dick getting made fun of on the internet.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
Jack and Calumon said:
This man is a bastard. He beats his wife and acts like a bellend at his work. I hope with my sadistic heart that bad things happen to him in the future.

Calumon: ...Is it mean to be mean to a meanie?
@ Calumon: It's not mean to be mean to a meanie if he's mean to his wife [http://courtindex.sdcourt.ca.gov/CISPublic/casedetail?casenum=DVN14325&casesite=NC&applcode=D].

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Sixcess said:
vansau said:
OK, on one hand: Going after the man's wife and young son is definitely wrong. The fact that people are harassing his wife on Facebook and leaving voice messages containing death threats directed at both her and his two-month-old child is disgusting.
Ah yes, internet justice at its finest.
Indeed. Never insight mob fury, because it'll just spin wildly out of control. In a just world, the other people he's contracted to would have dropped him, he'd be a joke and that'd be it. (Strange that he's still got the rest of his business) honestly though, the 4chan-esque terrorizing of a guy's family should most of all be off limits. It's like bullying the severely handicapped kid. Yeah, bullies are dicks, but even they have that line. And yet the internet doesn't with its equivalent, which is disgusting...

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
Scow2 said:
Looking at his response to his infamy, and the profile of the guy, I'm almost sympathetic to his plight, though I hope his days as a PR guy are over. He's a young, over-enthusiastic idiot who got himself in way over his head because E-mail is terrible for communication. Tip - If you're in customer service, stay AWAY from websites like "Not Always Right".

Curious... why should those in customer service stay away from that site? I work in CS and on bad... bad days that site is very cathartic. And a reminder that I'm not the only one dealing with mouth breathers.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
ok. welp, nothing left to do but let this fizzle out then. nice to see a swift resolution/retribution. it's kinda funny/scary how powerful angry internet dwellers have become.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Well he does have one option. It doesn't cost all that much money to change your name. Moving to another country may take a bit more work.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
vansau said:
Ocean Marketing's Founder Claims He's Sorry
The guy is a jerk. The guy has a bad temper, and maybe I worry for his family a little because of that. The guy clearly works in the wrong business and thinks a bit too much of himself (and not enough about anything else).

However.

The internet is not an objective tool for determining a person's worth. How would you feel if each of your mistakes was laid bare for nearly the entire world to see? He might have just been having a bad day. He might have gotten fifteen other e-mails from people who were less polite about their complaints. Maybe his young son was sick or crying all night. So it may have just been one of his worst moments -- but now, that's all anyone has seen and will ever know.

Am I excusing the guy? Not in the least. You screw up like that, you get fired, no argument from me. My problem is with all the other people, people who were not impacted by this exchange or this product delay in the least, jumping on the bandwagon of hatred.

Do you think you're helping "Dave?" Do you think you're scoring points with the Penny Arcade people? Doubtful in either case. More than likely, you're just venting personal frustrations through the filter of anonymity, directing it toward a convenient target whom no one currently has any sympathy for, so no one will condemn you for beating up the guy.

Pick the easy target and use him to vent your own, unrelated frustrations because you know others won't particularly care? That's the very definition of bullying.

(And no, it's not a "taste of his own medicine." He was a jerk in private conversation. That is deserving of losing customers, possibly his job. He was just an unprofessional jackass, not a bully. The response is indefensible.)

(As for the domestic abuse charge, perhaps we should endeavor to maintain the same "innocent until proven guilty" ideal that powers our justice system.)

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
Tehlanna TPX said:
Scow2 said:

Curious... why should those in customer service stay away from that site? I work in CS and on bad... bad days that site is very cathartic. And a reminder that I'm not the only one dealing with mouth breathers.
Maybe not everyone in customer service, but those who are inclined to prematurely emulate the petty and abusive responses to unreasonable customers are better off not reading numerous examples of ways to respond when customer service has broken down.

"Excuse me Mike, but who exactly are you?" then googling the response might have saved him from about half of the fallout from his unprofessionalism. Instead he immediately went to full-on bully mode and lost big time.

Jdb

May 26, 2010
Well, nothing left to do but let this fizzle out. I think no one learned anything from this - Paul will continue to be an asshole, and the Internet will continue to believe mob justice is always good justice.