Oddworld Franchise to Stink Up Real-Time Strategy

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Oh Gods Yes! It's been so long that I thought Oddworld was gone forever but this gives me new hope // I've been a huge fan of these games for years& I hope this is just the first of many new Oddworld games

-M

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
I have been moved by the spirit hand of Kane Abe

The Black Hand has arrived and woe to those who will not bow before the Hand of Nod Odd!

Peace through Power!
Peace through Power!
Peace through Power!

In the name of KANE! ABE! Abe lives in death! Rule of thumb Glukkon; You can't kill the messiah.

Brotherhood. we. are. WHOLE. AGAIN!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
So wait what happened to the OddBox!? I thought it was suppose to be out already. Dont get me wrong this "Hand of Odd" sounds like fun times but I want to FINALLY play "Strangers Wrath", I never had an X-Box.

I just looked and it seems to be out on Steam but what about 360?

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
A new Oddworld game? Fuck Yeah!

Available on the iPad and sharing design elements with Farmville? Fuck no!
I am cautiously optimistic though.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
So a dumbed down RTS on the level of fucking FarmShitville? Good lord, do devs not have the ability to make good games anymore?

ELD3RGoD

Apr 23, 2010
Trust in the developers. These guys are delivering something 'original'. A word RARELY used these days. An RTS can only be a good thing when they have already done FPS and platformer.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
-Drifter- said:
Orcus The Ultimate said:
i don't know how, but changing the formula of a storydriven game might not be the best thing to do. worst if the mechanics are simple...
Stranger's Wrath changed op the formula completely, and it was a great game. I've got faith in JAW.
exactly it still had a story, but with another focus on the gameworld.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Personally, I'd rather prefer it if they did a Myst-style puzzle game. It just feels like it would fit more. But I've heard things about this years ago, back when I owned the little gray brick of awesome; the original Playstation and got most of my information from printed magazines.

Man, those were the days.

See kiddies, in my day, we didn't have no fancy-pants internets, we had to figure things out for ourselves! And when we couldn't figure them out, we paid for magazines and help lines to figure it out for us. We never had it easy like you do now, back then analogue sticks and Lara Croft's hair blowing in the wind were considered technical achievements on par with landing on the moon!

Now, get off my lawn, gawsh darn it!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I'm a big fan of RTS games, so I might be interested in this!

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
If I get to play as the Glukkon faction I will be very happy. Very happy indeed.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
HankMan said:
I smell a classic! *sniff*
Or maybe that's just the garbage truck across the street.
It depends if the nostalgia filter is on or off ;)

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Oddworld could work as a god RTS in the style of populous and Dungeon Keeper. Especially Dungeon Keeper, but I can't see a C&C type oddworld game...

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
War via flatulence.... wow XDDDD

Just hearing that sounds epic enough. I do hope this turns out well, because I've been somewhat despaired ever since Oddworld Inhabitants closed its doors :{ Maybe we'll be getting that spiritual sequel to Stranger's Wrath after all :D

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I dunno, when games have bad puns as their titles, it doesn't give me much hope for them.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
More and more it's becoming obvious to me that Just Add Water aren't interested in any new Oddworld IPs. Kinda ruins the point of Oddworld and asks why they left gaming in the first place if this is what they're doing. Lorne Lanning seemed incredibly passionate about new ideas, and being unhappy that the gaming landscape prevented him from doing something new any time he felt like it. Now that Oddworld are back in gaming, they're making two HD remakes and reviving an april fool's joke.

At least putting it on iPad gives Oddworld the chance to pull something interesting off. I'd be interested to see how something like this will play on that surface, but I'm not super psyched with Oddworld's return. Hopefully, all these remakes and whatnot are just a trial run to see if Oddworld's properties are still profitable, and JAW will let them experiment more in the future.