Odin Sphere: Have you played it?

Thermostatic

Oct 3, 2007
It's a pretty solid game. The boss fights are really well done and challenging. The 2d graphics are really beautiful and make me wish more 2d games were still being made. I do think it's longer than it should be though. It just doesn't have enough content or depth to keep things interesting for as long as it lasts. I found I'd had my fill of it after finishing the valkyrie story and I haven't picked it up since.

Kaelan

Nov 4, 2007
Much like Yahtzee and Halo 3, I just feel like I must be missing something whenever I play this game. Obviously a lot of people like it, so there must be something in there - but I really can't figure out what it is.

I mean, yeah, the art is definitely something to look at, but art alone can only take a game so far. I can't for my life see what people find in the voices, to me the majority of times they were at best oddly done and at worst extremely irritating (maybe they get better past the Valkyrie part? I don't know).

I have nothing against 2D games (the old Sonic games happen to be part of my all-time favorites) but it doesn't seem to be doing this game a whole lot of good beyond the actual artwork. More often than not things are way too big, get in the way of the gameplay and it ends up being hard to get a proper sense of what's going on in the big picture without constantly staring at the map(which obviously interrupts your gameplay).

The controls feel absolutely terrible for the Fast-paced action type of game it looks like it was intented to be, which doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. Running out of inventory space 5 minutes into the game and staying in that state for the next several hours, instantly filling the next inventory expansion as soon as its found thanks to it being about a few hours overdue also didn't help things a whole lot.

But eh, I guess it's not the kind of game for me I suppose. I wouldn't say it's a bad game, but it'd be a rental at best for me, had I known what I was in for before I actually bought it.