Odin Sphere: Have you played it?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Bought it, but my ps2 is buried in a box somewhere due to a recent move. One of these days though =/

Seirhune

Oct 18, 2007
Oh yes, I have played this game. I second the desire for more people to play this game. Then I will express the desire to play the next game like it that Vanillaware publishes. Oh...how I will wait for it!

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
Seirhune said:
Oh yes, I have played this game. I second the desire for more people to play this game. Then I will express the desire to play the next game like it that Vanillaware publishes. Oh...how I will wait for it!
Im taking you know about Vanillware's next project on the Wii then? And yess more people need to play this.

Seirhune

Oct 18, 2007
Yep, that is exactly what I am waiting for... the Wii game whose name escapes me. Some magical time in 2008 it will come out. I just hope Mario Galaxy and Fire Emblem can feed my soul until it comes out.

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
Seirhune said:
Yep, that is exactly what I am waiting for... the Wii game whose name escapes me. Some magical time in 2008 it will come out. I just hope Mario Galaxy and Fire Emblem can feed my soul until it comes out.
Those are the games I am waiting for myself as well. Hopefully they will do till the next project and Brawl comes out.

LordLocke

Oct 3, 2007
Somewhat overrated but still pretty decent niche title. It's a clumsy RPG Brawler that controls rather clunky and can be painfully hard unless you go and break it, in which case it become 'lol' easy with no real middle ground there.

The game's really pretty, and can be really fun once you get your bearings even with the difficulty curve that shoots upwards at about a seventy-five degree angle about two chapters into each characters campaign, but that's mostly from good game design that's held back slightly because of occasionally poor implementation.

623S

Aug 22, 2007
^It's not overrated. It's a pretty good game.

It's a beautiful game and the RPG brawler style works well. It controls well, but sometimes it will start to lag badly due to the large amount of enemies on screen. It's fairly difficult and can range from a walk in the park to a prison break from hell. Probably my biggest issue are the load times. While they're good for the most part, sometimes they can be a real pain. Another issue, though a small one, is that the bosses are often recycled. The items are well implemented, the spells can be a bit game-breaking (though not so much that it's unbalanced). It's a pretty good length and the five characters plots are pretty cool. I like the screen that shows when all the events happened compared to the others. Yup. Damn good game, and I recommend it to anyone who has a PS2

Seirhune

Oct 18, 2007
LordLocke said:
Somewhat overrated but still pretty decent niche title. It's a clumsy RPG Brawler that controls rather clunky and can be painfully hard unless you go and break it, in which case it become 'lol' easy with no real middle ground there.

The game's really pretty, and can be really fun once you get your bearings even with the difficulty curve that shoots upwards at about a seventy-five degree angle about two chapters into each characters campaign, but that's mostly from good game design that's held back slightly because of occasionally poor implementation.
I'd never played an RPG brawler before, and I didn't find it clumsy at all. It's certainly a lot simple than most Fighting Games I've played (and suck at.) The controls were simple enough to master, but fights remained challenging despite the simplicity of the interface (1 attack button, a jump button: I call that simple, not clunky!). I think it was implemented well, and frankly I am hard pressed to find a game where I was content and happy even when I needed to grind a bit.

The difficulty does hop up a little faster than the character advances though, but fights are fast so grinding wasn't too time consuming. The recycled bosses thing was an issue, but at least you knew how they worked for later fights against the same boss later. Also it helped tie each character's story into the others'. Heck, I even liked the English voice acting, pretty music too.

If this is a niche game, it's a niche I'm happy to climb into.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
It's clearly on my list of "must buy games".

It looks particularily beautiful. I wonder if the OST supports the game's mood as well.

Hengst2404

Aug 29, 2007
I thought the game was beautiful and certainly fun, but I definite felt that it was hyped far more than it delivered. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I found the game a bit repetitive and it didn't hold my interest for too long.

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
Hengst2404 said:
I thought the game was beautiful and certainly fun, but I definite felt that it was hyped far more than it delivered. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I found the game a bit repetitive and it didn't hold my interest for too long.
Hm, in my perspective it was hyped just right. The gameplay was nothing particularly new or really deep, but the storytelling and visual design made all the difference for me.

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
Joe said:
Zera said:
If you havent you should
:]
beastrn said:
^ seconded =]
We don't do this shit here. Stop it. If you don't provide context or can't add to the discussion in a meaningful way, don't.
Dude what the heck!?! What did I do? I said you should play the game, but I did it in a humbly matter. Its not like an order. I believe it is a beautifully crafted game in story, design and in atmosphere. And its fun to boot. Oh and dont swear here please. I come to these site for an more intelligent look at video games, where they can be appreciated at different levels. Thats why I used this game as a prime example.

you need to chill. Play some Odin Sphere.

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
Zera said:
Dude what the heck!?! What did I do? I said you should play the game, but I did it in a humbly matter. Its not like an order. I believe it is a beautifully crafted game in story, design and in atmosphere. And its fun to boot. Oh and dont swear here please. I come to these site for an more intelligent look at video games, where they can be appreciated at different levels. Thats why I used this game as a prime example.

The point was that the post itself added nothing to the discussion. You just pimped the game.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Zera said:

Next time, say that in the original post :).

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
Joe said:
Zera said:

Next time, say that in the original post :).
Okay you got me I will
:)

Human Bomb

Sep 29, 2007
Been thinking about getting it, but I've been sucked back into Phantom Brave and Disgaea. Here's the deal: Is it a good pick up and play whenever game? I expect something more casual from a brawler, but I'm addicted to customization. Are the controls really that clunky?