Offer a new twist on an overused concept.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
A pokemon game that doesn't revel in bizarre self-promoting marketing on every step of the way.
Or an even bigger twist, some competition to pokemon games that is of actual decent quality.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
A cover-based shooter where being in cover depletes your health, and it only regenerates by being out in the open.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
How about a first person shooter, but hear me out now... we play it from the the third person perspective. Do this right and you can make millions.

Thommo

Feb 14, 2013
Mikejames said:
King Billi said:
The only thing I can offer is merely a small change to a rather popular trend currently... Assassins!
I like that. Let us expand on it.
How about... playing an assassin who only assassinates other assassins, while they're trying to assassinate?

You save the target without them ever knowing that their life was in danger.
Mid-Plot-Twist, you and your loved ones become the new target.
sort of like being a counter sniper but with more..... assassin-ing

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
A game like Rape lay but with the genders reversed.
Why? So i can point the double standard when western countries happily sell it without blinking an eye!

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Jfswift said:
SuperSamio64 said:
A sandbox game of sorts, where instead of being able to do what you please, you're simply a ghost kind of. So you just travel the land/city/whatever observing stuff. It could also be done to a lesser extent where you can affect the environment but it doesn't affect you, essentially behaving like a poltergeist.
That's how I feel when I'm on Second Life (insert rim shot here), interesting idea though.

The_Scrivener said:
A stealth game where you're a woman accused of being a witch during the Salem Witch Trials.

An RPG where you're a Holocaust victim/eventual survivor.

An MMORPG. About pirates.
Ooooo, now that's a good idea. The pirate MMORPG. A long time ago there was a pirates game on NES that was a lot of fun actually. I loved exploring this huge world and classing with other countries. Now expand that with modern graphics and players. (I miss my war galleon with it's many cannons)

I was thinking maybe an MMORPG revolving around spies in modern times would be interesting. You'd be actively working against other players and even hired actors from the game company, never knowing who to trust.
It already exists. I haven't played it for ages, but it's called "Pirates of the Caribean Online"

It's actually really fun with amazing ship combat, sieges and fun to use weapons, like pistols and rifles, grenades and such. I don't know if it has made a great change for the worse or whatever in the years I haven't been playing it, but from what I remember it was along par with Runescape for fun quests etc. and the ship combat was truly the best, even better when your friends manned the cannons.

banthro

Aug 11, 2009
A game where you are guns, who fight each other using extremely abusive 11-13 year olds.

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
Dr. McD said:
Overused plot: Zombie apocalypse

Twist: You are a scientist trying to make the cure and can't handle a gun very well. Rather than fighting hordes of zombies you must survive the small area of a city in which the plague originated, you start out in your lab and must do several things in order to get the cure, isolate and kill a zombie, and take samples of it's blood and flesh (this will allow you make a temporary cure that stops your infection from getting too bad), find the needed chemicals in another scientist's lab, and some other stuff, the point is, you aren't immune to the infection.
So it'd be like "I am Legend: The Game" then?

Well, I'll see if I can come up with a new twist on an old concept...

Well, what about a cover based FPS set in the near future about solders and terrorists shooting at eachother.
Except you're a terrorist.
And you die.
And you go to an underground, fire-and-brimstone/steam-punk hell.
You get conscripted into one side of a great big war, and as you fight for that faction, you cause more and more suffering.
As you do more of the punishing you get less punished, gaining magical, demonic powers, and turning into a more and more powerful demon, as well as improving your arsenal and range of equipment.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
A zombie game, where you are a zombie. You must infect as many people as you can before someone blows your head off with a shotgun.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
A COD or MOH style shooter in which you play as a doctor caught between the two sides, and instead of shooting enemies, your sole duty is to save people from bleeding out. Instead of a key binding for grenade, you could have one for Alan Alda quips.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
banthro said:
A game where you are guns, who fight each other using extremely abusive 11-13 year olds.
HA! Damn near spit out my coffee reading that.

On topic: How about an RPG where you're NOT some mythic prophesied all powerful chosen one?

Either

A) You play as a newly indoctrinated member of a group (assassins, vampires, mages, space-marines or whatever...depends on the setting) and your only goal is to survive the next 72 hours. Oh yeah, and the game is in real time.

or

B) You start off of as a typical NPC (farmer, merchant, blacksmith, etc) and, through a series of unfortunate events decide to OPPOSE a mythic prophesied all powerful chosen one. You have no special abilities, but if you're witty, clever and crafty enough, can acquire the training and resources needed to take down the Big Bad Villain.

Darkasassin96

Oct 25, 2011
Mikejames said:
King Billi said:
The only thing I can offer is merely a small change to a rather popular trend currently... Assassins!
I like that. Let us expand on it.
How about... playing an assassin who only assassinates other assassins, while they're trying to assassinate?

You save the target without them ever knowing that their life was in danger.
Mid-Plot-Twist, you and your loved ones become the new target.
Thats an interesting Idea. Maybe you could be Assassin repellent for Hire. There could be missions where you follow the guy who is going to be killed around and protect him. Some missions could be you have the location where the guy will be killed and you scope it out a day before. Pick out good sniping spots or places to hide. Command gaurds to be in spots like that, or set up a camera or a trap. But you have to be careful because they can be set off by anybody. You would have to figure out the best possible means to assassinate someone in a level and hope the hitman did as well. But how about the assassin will do things differently each subsequent replaying of a level. Sometimes he will come in guns a blazing, sometimes he will be a sniper, sometimes he will hide in the pantry disguised as a can of soup.

How about the guy you play as isnt assassin repellent for hire but is just a guy that the government uses to protect people, or a guy in the employ of a rival assassin agency and his job is to make another agency look bad. It doesnt sound like a big distinction but it would also mean that your guy wasnt allowed in the area either. it means he would have to do some sneaking around of his own. This all of the top of my head Im sure we could do some cool stuff with this idea.

Adept Mechanicus

Oct 14, 2012
sextus the crazy said:
For Modern Military Shooters.
-How bout something other than wankish patriotism
-Maybe play as a 3rd world country or someone opposing US/NATO
-Maybe even just some character development (when was the last time you played a MMS with non 1D characters? Spec ops? the Reznov parts in Treyarch CoD?)
SPEC OPS: THE LINE. If you haven't already played it, buy it right the hell now and play through it to the end. Just as an experiment, I tried playing Rainbow Six Vegas 2 after I finished Spec Ops. I couldn't do it. I couldn't stop thinking about who I was shooting, whether they had families, what their grievances were, why they deserved to die, whether I was committing an atrocity by using a certain loadout. I had to turn it off. It was too much for me.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I'd like a GTA clone where your ultimate goal wasn't to become the next Godfather, but let you choose what sort of criminal (if any at all) you wanted to be.

For example, if we start with the familiar plot of a murdered family, your character could then choose to join the police force and work his way up, learning detective skills and trying to link similar incidents through cold case files; you could start hanging around the local gangs, getting in with them and trying to gather information that way; or you could choose to become a Dexter-style serial killer taking out people who you think have eluded justice.

You could add depth/replay value to the game by allowing the player to either pursue one of these roles or two or even all three at once, so you could join the police force, get an undercover assignment in a gang, then use the information to start bumping them (and crooked cops) off from the inside.

The main thing that would change in the game would be how you had to cover your tracks: if you are a policeman doing everything by the book you only need to worry about gang members coming after you; if you are a gang member you'll be largely protected from the police and other harm; if you choose the serial killer path then you have to make sure and dispose of any evidence that could be linked to you after each kill.

I'm actually thinking this would now play more like a Deus Ex than a GTA clone (with conversation trees to explain to co-workers and authorities where you've been/skill trees that would affect the strength of your alibi etc.), but the sandbox element would make it fun to track targets around the city, especially in serial killer mode.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Adept Mechanicus said:
sextus the crazy said:
For Modern Military Shooters.
-How bout something other than wankish patriotism
-Maybe play as a 3rd world country or someone opposing US/NATO
-Maybe even just some character development (when was the last time you played a MMS with non 1D characters? Spec ops? the Reznov parts in Treyarch CoD?)
SPEC OPS: THE LINE.
I have played it. MOAR PLZ. Spec Ops' unremarkable gameplay (gears of CoD, anyone) is forgivable because it's the only MMS to actually fulfill all of these qualities.