Offer a new twist on an overused concept.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
A Modern Military FPS in flashback form, in wich inbetween you wake up at your home present-day and try to deal with your normal life and growing PTSD. Descisions in the Flashback Shooter Parts affect your psyche in the present.

A base-building RTS similar to Evil Genius in wich you maintain the security of the base that is being infiltrated by Solid Fisher (Sam Snake?). You need to position cameras for optimal surveillance, check back on guards and send them to investigate if something seems off.

A Game in wich during an alien invasion, you are the pilot of a rescue helicopter, dodging UFO-fire and get stranded civilians to safety as fast as possible.

A video game version of "Behind Enemy Lines" in wich you are a pilot who goes down in an enemy country and have to survive and sneak across the border within a single huge map.

XCOM as a hardcore tactical first person shooter, Rainbow Six 3 Style (actually, "the other XCOM" looked like that at first, and than less so).

Rook

Oct 11, 2008
Sandbox's always have the most potential. Like one I've always dreamed of is a horror based sandbox. You start off in a city, you've just moved into a flat in some random spot of the city, you have a dead-end job. Walking to work in your office. But you start noticing things. Maybe walk past someone with their hood up, and you swear they didn't have a face, only to look back and see that they're lost in the crowd. Or perhaps you notice a crack on a wall getting larger day by day. You see scratches on a door in your workplace. Then- boom- you investigate.

You decide to go in that door, finding a strange hole in the opposite wall that stretches on a little bit deeper than the actual wall. You follow that faceless person down into a a subway. You sit and watch that crack over night. And shit gets real...

You're thrown into this rapidly expanding world where those stories you were told as a kid are real. The more you look, the more you find. "Things" living in the cracks of the city. Alleyways ridden with shadows that will relentlessly beat you if you're spotted. There would be no story, unless the characters finds it. Their motivation is simply curiosity. Sure they're scared as fuck, but it's a videogame, and who wants to go to work in a game. It wouldn't be about fighting these creatures, just discovery. The threat of another insignificant life. The game would get more insane as time goes on. Maybe you start getting hunted by these things and simply going to sleep is no longer an option. You then start suffering from lack of sleep and so on...

Maybe you wake up to a noise in your flat one night, only to walk out of your room and find something(the slenderman) standing there. Then you just hide and hope it goes away.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
How about first person zombie game, but game doesn't end with your death. For example, once you get bitten you have a choice of hiding it from your group or allowing them to shoot you. Once you transform mechanics shift and now you have to keep eating people to keep some sort of "Hunger meter" full. How about that?

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
The_Scrivener said:
A stealth game where you're a woman accused of being a witch during the Salem Witch Trials.

An RPG where you're a Holocaust victim/eventual survivor.

An MMORPG. About pirates.
You mean a good MMORPG about pirates.

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
I was thinking of one I want to make, when I get around to making it:

A game with a binary moral choice system and a good and bad ending. Except doing all the "good" choices or all the "bad" choices both get you the bad ending. Instead, you have to do both bad and good things that actually make sense for your survival (keep a bad dude alive for good points? No, you kill him. Stomp a puppy's face to prove you're a badass for evil points? No, you return the puppy to the little girl so her parents won't shoot you or something). The key here would be to make it stupid obvious that doing certain actions are the good/evil thing to do (Bioware red/blue text, for example) so people think they've gotta stock up on one or the other. The other key would be to make the game short enough or new game + enough so people would do multiple playthroughs...

...There's a huge part of me that just sits around all day thinking up plot/game twists just to mess with people...

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
A story-driven zombie action game where a bite doesn't mean infection. sure, if enough pile on you you're chewed to death but a simple bite doesn't mean your doomed.
I don't know how far that would go (I don't imagine every far) but I just want to see a zombie anything where a bite doesn't spell death.
Just make MOST of the world's population zombies (like, more than usual) and I think the scales will be evened out.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Okay! Co-op shooter! Colorful and fun with a bit of a spy theme! I think it should be called Overstrike!

I think there was a game named that at one point... I think it was cancelled...

Nope... Pretty sure it was cancelled...

Sorry... I am a bit bitter...

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
krazykidd said:
A jrpg where you lose at the end . Kinda like FF7 but instead of Sephiroth being killed by Ominislash , Sephiroth kills Cloud and destroys the world ( or whatever his goal was ).

I'd pay a buck to play that.
I'm not to sure that that's a concept that can really be turned round without everyone getting pissed.

The only thing that I can think of is Live A live:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_A_Live
And an LP starting at the "you lose" part
http://lparchive.org/Live-a-Live/Update%2067/

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
werewolfsfury said:
krazykidd said:
A jrpg where you lose at the end . Kinda like FF7 but instead of Sephiroth being killed by Ominislash , Sephiroth kills Cloud and destroys the world ( or whatever his goal was ).

I'm not to sure that that's a concept that can really be turned round without everyone getting pissed.

That...That looks AWSOME! No idea why people would be pissed . I'm sick of Happy endings and Friendship is magic friendship conquers all . Losing at the end ( and be cannon ) would be an awsome twist .

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
A military FPS that allows you to play as a Cartoon animal mascot and platform your way over tanks; stopping on enemy soldiers. The theme of the game is the terrorists/Nazis/other insert enemy has found a way to bring video games into real life and has teamed up with the video game badbuys. So the boring everyman/hero soldier has to team up with the cool gaming good guys. It will be an endless array of killcams and powerups.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
krazykidd said:
werewolfsfury said:
krazykidd said:

That...That looks AWESOME! No idea why people would be pissed . I'm sick of Happy endings and Friendship is magic friendship conquers all . Losing at the end ( and be cannon ) would be an awesome twist .
well I'm not so sure that many people wouldn't want to put effort into something that they can't actually succeed in. It'd be like cramming for a test that you know you're going to fail. you may as well stop trying and get some sleep.
I'm fine with the concept of friendship conquers all being shown as foolish or a bitter sweet end where everyone dies but you at least saved the world/ kept things from getting worse

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
xPixelatedx said:
A military FPS that allows you to play as a Cartoon animal mascot and platform your way over tanks; stopping on enemy soldiers. The theme of the game is the terrorists/Nazis/other insert enemy has found a way to bring video games into real life and has teamed up with the video game badbuys. So the boring everyman/hero soldier has to team up with the cool gaming good guys. It will be an endless array of killcams and powerups.
The cartoon animal part has been done at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fur_Fighters
To bad they can't make sequal based on that idea

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
A Sci Fi RTS RPG Hybrid in which you play has some kind of assimilating virus which can infect stuff and turn them into necromorph type creatures. Multiplayer would have oposing players play Humans who gradually become aware of an infection and have to root it out SS13 style.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
werewolfsfury said:
krazykidd said:
werewolfsfury said:
krazykidd said:

That...That looks AWESOME! No idea why people would be pissed . I'm sick of Happy endings and Friendship is magic friendship conquers all . Losing at the end ( and be cannon ) would be an awesome twist .
well I'm not so sure that many people wouldn't want to put effort into something that they can't actually succeed in. It'd be like cramming for a test that you know you're going to fail. you may as well stop trying and get some sleep.
I'm fine with the concept of friendship conquers all being shown as foolish or a bitter sweet end where everyone dies but you at least saved the world/ kept things from getting worse
Well i get that in a sense . But it's just a game . A story being told . And i personally see no problem of the story ends badly ( hell it would be more realistic ). And by badly i don't mean poorly written . But what you say makes me wonder . Do people finish games for the story ? Or is it to accomplish what goal the protsgonist set , such as saving the world .

What i mean by that is , if the story ends poorly after 20 hours of gameplay , will people really feel like they wasted their time ? Even if that's how the story unfolds ? Will that matter even though they had fun playing it?

I might make a thread about this i'm curious . Although unfortunately there aren't enough games ( outside the horror genre ) that have bad cannon endings , to ask if people like or dislike it , it would be pure speculation , a "what if" scenario.

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
A squad-based shooter where you don't just command your squad, but are responsible for them.

Keeping the squad members in check. Calling in for a medical evac. when one gets hit. Recover the "dog tags" of those who fall in battle, and so on.

Also, it takes place in the not-so-distant future where Earth has been "occupied" by an alien species.

What's the big twist?

The player, and his squad, are the aliens.

The setting(s) for the levels would also be first and second world countries. For example: Dallas, Texas; London, England; Sydney, Australia.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
werewolfsfury said:
xPixelatedx said:
The cartoon animal part has been done at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fur_Fighters
To bad they can't make sequal based on that idea
Yeah but that's not in a brown military FPS setting XD I am talking about literally putting Sonic in CoD, or banjo in Battlefield 3.