Official: Club Nintendo is Shutting Down

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Official: Club Nintendo is Shutting Down

Loyalty program to end later in 2015, replacement yet to be announced

To the surprise of many fans, Club Nintendo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/nintendo] in June of 2015.

The program will begin winding down almost immediately, with products released after January 20, 2015 no longer being eligible for registration. March 31 will be the last day that customers can start a new membership, register eligible products and earn the program's currency, Coins. The program itself will cease to exist at 11:59pm PST on June 30, at which point all Coins must be redeemed as they will be deleted for July 1. Nintendo is promising to add "dozens of downloadable games and a limited quantity of exclusive reward items" to the rewards catalog in February for members to spend their remaining Coins on.

A merger of the earlier VIP 24:7 and Club Member programs, Club Nintendo has been in operation since December 2007. Nintendo has confirmed that the arrival of a new program is imminent, but provided no other details save that memberships to previous programs will not be carried over into any new iterations.

Source: Club Nintendo [http://club2.nintendo.com/program-notice/]

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
I guess this could end well or not. If you have really nice things for people to spend the coins they have been holding onto for so long, I can see them not complaining much. If you decide to remove the program with pathetic stuff for people to use their coins on, then shut down, then also have a new program with great stuff but people have to start by buying completely new games, then that's going to be a problem. Things might be easier if they could somehow allow stuff be transferred over, especially if people aren't interested in what comes out. All in all, I don't see this ending well.

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
MovieBob said:
Nintendo has confirmed that the arrival of a new program is imminent, but provided no other details save that memberships to previous programs will not be carried over into any new iterations
Well at least they are planning to replace it and it's not a case of "Its gone forever". I think for many people (like me) we have been hording stars and not really using them, so maybe its a way of forcing people to spend. Either way, Im sad that it's going, but at the same time glad because the UK club Nintendo sight was rubbish and really needed an up date

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Wow this is surreal. I just signed up for it last year. Just in time to get Donkey Kong Country Returns for free and a nice 3DS case. I'm sure what they decide to do next will be better.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Had a feeling it was shutting down. Every time I looked at the rewards store, it was EMPTY, and month after month it got worse.

*pets her Pikmin tote bag*

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I wonder if the new program will have still have surveys and rewards. Of course I like the rewards, but I kind of also liked the surveys, they gave me a place to vent my frustration over Xenoblade Chronicles limited release in a "constructive" manner.

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
And here I was hoping to get a WiiU, Bayonetta 2, and Tropical Freeze to push me into Elite status. I hope whatever's floating around still has a redemption code. I'd like to make one last run of it before everything disappears. What upsets me though is that they're suggesting that not even the registration of previous games will be supported in their new system. Y'know, the thing that allowed you to be compensated for your downloaded games and content if your physical hardware got lost/stolen/broken.

From the looks of it though, there should be no reason why I won't get my Sm4sh soundtrack and Mewtwo DLC, so that's something I guess. This new system better be amazing.

Edit: What would be REALLY awesome is if the potential rewards they're releasing in February included some WiiU Gamecube controller adapters. That would make me a happy panda.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
I ordered the 3DS card case even though I only have a couple of physical games. Most of my games are downloaded. Gotta use those points on something and the games that they have up this month are the last ones, they don't expire until the end. I already have all of the games except Super Punch Out and I don't really want that one.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I just got a Wii u and am 70 counts from platinum D:

Also I just spent my coins on the smash brothers posters il be so mad if they put those zelda posters back up I could never gdt

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Well it was pretty bare, to the point I never signed up for it. I wonder if NoA has learned from other regional offices and will actually have good rewards in the successor program.

Though, it probably does suck for those that never had anything good to use their coins on. I guess I can register the 7 or so games that I have codes for and see what dopey wallpaper (that will be plastered all over the internet within a day) I can get.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Story said:
Wow this is surreal. I just signed up for it last year. Just in time to get Donkey Kong Country Returns for free and a nice 3DS case. I'm sure what they decide to do next will be better.
Same here. Well. For me it was Pokemon Y for free. But still, freaking surreal.

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
Really, they cannot some sort of conversion. I hope the new stuff is better unlike more upgraded award systems these days that have gotten worse.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I guess it's a good thing that I blew the rest of my coins on 3DS game card cases for myself and my girlfriend. That sucks though, I was already really close to hitting Platinum status this year...

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
It really could have been nice if they could carry over coins or something to the new system, but then again we still don't even know what the new system will be.
Thankfully I had just recently gotten myself the Pikmin 3DS Game Case.
I'd been needing something to carry my games in that wasn't just having them loose about in my DS case.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Haha, I'd registered just three weeks ago. It seemed like a neat service, but I am curious what will replace it.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Raggedstar said:
*pets her Pikmin tote bag*
The amount of envy I have for you right now is indescribable.

OT: It's sad that Club Nintendo is shutting down, but as they assured, they are going to replace it with another rewards program. I hope that this time it's a global system. I'm getting tired of seeing our friends across the pond get cool Club Nintendo awards and we are stuck with some shit tier stuff.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Dr. Thrax said:
It really could have been nice if they could carry over coins or something to the new system, but then again we still don't even know what the new system will be.
Thankfully I had just recently gotten myself the Pikmin 3DS Game Case.
I'd been needing something to carry my games in that wasn't just having them loose about in my DS case.
To be fair though July 1st (or was it 5 days after) is also the day that the Club Nintendo "year" ends and all unredeemed coins are lost anyway. So all in all your not exactly losing out on much.