Official "GameCube" Controllers Coming For Smash Bros. Wii U

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
If you ask any Smash Bros. player what their controller of choice is, the answer will always be the same. The GameCube controller.
Am I alone in preferring the Wii remote & nun-chuck? Not in general but for Smash Bros. I used to be prefer the Gamecube controller but then I got used to the Wii and I just feel like I have greater control than before :/

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Maxtro said:
Sounds cool but why the heck is it wired?
Its the preference of the fighting game community. Mostly because wireless remotes tend to cause interference between multiple players. Having wired controllers may be a bit outdated, but at least you won't have mixed signals during a major competition.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Sounds cool, but why didn't they make the classic/pro controller like that in the first place?
I always questioned this as well. I never understood why Nintendo went with a design similar to the 360 controller instead of the ever so lovely GameCube controller.

OT: Welp, now I'm set on getting this controller for sure. Really I would always have access to the GameCube controller if the new Smash supported classic controllers on the Wiimote because of the Mayflash adapter I have (I highly recommend it). This just makes things easier for me.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I guess I have no choice, I must have this controller. I've only learned to play Smash Bros. with the Gamecube controller, even the original Smash Bros. had a similar control scheme which made going to Melee pretty easy.

I wonder if this could be used for other games too?

Michael Legault

Feb 27, 2013
Auron225 said:
Steven Bogos said:
If you ask any Smash Bros. player what their controller of choice is, the answer will always be the same. The GameCube controller.
Am I alone in preferring the Wii remote & nun-chuck? Not in general but for Smash Bros. I used to be prefer the Gamecube controller but then I got used to the Wii and I just feel like I have greater control than before :/
You are not alone!! The thing that's great in brawl is the fact you can reconfigure the controls, personally I make down on the + pad be jump, and disable up on control stick's jump. It makes every action be between my thumb and forefinger, and I wouldn't want it any other way, I even met a player recently who just uses a wiimote by itself and he was even damn good with it! My wife also uses wiimote and nunchuck...

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Hero of Lime said:
I guess I have no choice, I must have this controller. I've only learned to play Smash Bros. with the Gamecube controller, even the original Smash Bros. had a similar control scheme which made going to Melee pretty easy.

If so then I can finally play Wind Waker HD with a "GameCube" controller. :D
I may have Mayflash adapter, but it won't work unless the games support classic controllers. >.<
Course this also means I can use my GameCube controller on all Wii and VC games on my Wii U, so there is that.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Nazulu said:
I'm interested to know, what do they mean if it's not Melee?
Super Smash Bros: Melee, the second Smash Bros for the Gamecube.

Also the best Smash Brothers, for reasons known only to Nintendo they removed most of the more technical moves from Brawl and slowed movement down slightly. It's not the same without air dodging and wave dashing damnit!
In that case, I agree. You can't improve games by cutting out fun game play elements. I never had to wave dash because Australia didn't have many players that could, but the air dodge was one of the greatest additions, giving you more alternatives to evade and surprise. I'll be very disappointed if they leave that out.

Chris Ingersoll

Jun 21, 2013
Neronium said:
canadamus_prime said:
Sounds cool, but why didn't they make the classic/pro controller like that in the first place?
I always questioned this as well. I never understood why Nintendo went with a design similar to the 360 controller instead of the ever so lovely GameCube controller.
Well, in addition to having the same general layout as the GamePad's sticks and buttons I would suspect it was a carrot to third-party developers to make it a little easier to port multiplatform games. And we've seen how well that has worked out...

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Is there a way to make Wavebirds work with the WiiU? Because I still have a pair and they are like my favorite controllers ever.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Neronium said:
Hero of Lime said:

If so then I can finally play Wind Waker HD with a "GameCube" controller. :D
I may have Mayflash adapter, but it won't work unless the games support classic controllers. >.<
Course this also means I can use my GameCube controller on all Wii and VC games on my Wii U, so there is that.
On one hand, I would be happy to use the Gamecube controller for Wii U Zelda games, but I thought the gamepad was actually pretty great for Zelda games too. Either way I am pretty happy that Nintendo realized they needed to revive the glorious Gamecube controller.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
FizzyIzze said:
Dexterity said:
This is gonna sound random, but can you use that controller with the gamepad while using the gamepad as a screen?
Nope, it's either one or the other. If both are on and plan to be used then the Pro Controller will be player 2 because player 1 is always the default for the GamePad. Of course usually I just use the Pro Controller because the GamePad is useless on most Wii U games and isn't an integral part of the experience except in only a few early tech demo games.

Ephidel

Jan 29, 2014
The thing that I find the most entertaining about this news is that, overall, the response is not just positive, but optimistic.

People are hoping that this control scheme will be implemented for most Wii U games, retroactively.

I would love that tbh, but it's entertaining to think that (simply) a new controller might earn Nintendo "some" of it's fans back. You know, it's a step in the right direction and I'm marginally more interested to play Pikmin 3 now, if it controls like it's predecessors, but Nintendo NEED Third-Party Support or the Wii U will die due to a lack of content.

Hopefully, this news marks a change in it's targeted demographic, ever since Iwata abandoned the core and went after the casual market. Still, winning back the betrayed hearts of the (previously) most loyal gaming fanbase in history will take more than a controller.

I'm still waiting for my olive branch.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Nazulu said:
Random Argument Man said:
I've seen people refuse to play the game if it's not melee or Project M.
I'm interested to know, what do they mean if it's not Melee?
They refuse to play Brawl since there was no wave dashing and because there was tripping. Some refused to play the N64 version for similar reasons. Sometimes, it's because their main characters are too different. The only time they've considered another version of Smash is Project M since it's more closer to Melee.

The biggest complaint of those guys however is that they hate it very much when the stage or some random effects affects their gameplay. It's why they prefer to play on Final Destination with no items.

I can understand disliking certain aspects of the game. What I hate the most from "tournament rules only player" is they force others to play by their rules. I enjoy a "no item" match or a battle of skills as much as any Smash players. However, I also enjoy changing the rules to make matches more chaotic like pretty much any Nintendo multiplayer games.

If we played Mario Kart or Mario Party without some chaos factor in it, most people wouldn't enjoy it. It makes things tip the scale and it develops skills for adaptation to gameplay.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Good.
I could never get used to using the Wii remote for Smash Bros Brawl, not after using the Gamecube controller so much for Melee.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Steve Waltz said:
Wow, the Wii U is almost in purchase worthy. I need at least 1 of 2 things in order for me to buy a Wii U. Either they release a new controller with a longer charge life, OR they release a port of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Either one of those two and I'm really to buy my first Current-Gen console.
while the first crystal chronicles was nice, i'd rather they make a new one, since the sequels that have been made introduced a whole ton of additions and improvements (and also acknowledging when they added things that people didn't like and removing them) that I feel makes a much better game than the first. One of those, but with the fancy art assets that are now possible on the newer systems, and damn, that would make a fine game.