Official "GameCube" Controllers Coming For Smash Bros. Wii U

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
I for one am pleased, the GCC is one of the more comfortable controllers i've ever used. I just hope the improve the D-pad.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Maxtro said:
Sounds cool but why the heck is it wired?
Because a lot of people would prefer to not have input lag. Especially with how fast button commands are done in Smash Bros (mostly Melee).

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Oh my goooooooooooooooood! I want it! That was seriously the best controller ever. I mean, I love the 360 controller to death, but the GameCube controller... Those triggers T^T

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
Nazulu said:
I've seen people refuse to play the game if it's not melee or Project M.
I'm interested to know, what do they mean if it's not Melee?
They refuse to play Brawl since there was no wave dashing and because there was tripping. Some refused to play the N64 version for similar reasons. Sometimes, it's because their main characters are too different. The only time they've considered another version of Smash is Project M since it's more closer to Melee.

The biggest complaint of those guys however is that they hate it very much when the stage or some random effects affects their gameplay. It's why they prefer to play on Final Destination with no items.

I can understand disliking certain aspects of the game. What I hate the most from "tournament rules only player" is they force others to play by their rules. I enjoy a "no item" match or a battle of skills as much as any Smash players. However, I also enjoy changing the rules to make matches more chaotic like pretty much any Nintendo multiplayer games.

If we played Mario Kart or Mario Party without some chaos factor in it, most people wouldn't enjoy it. It makes things tip the scale and it develops skills for adaptation to gameplay.
Refused to play, don't you mean they don't want to play? I'll admit I've only been to one tournament (that was shit) so I don't see any tourney players you're probably talking about, but they're allowed their preference. I mean, you gotta understand that Brawl has it's flaws, and the N64 is lacking a lot (though I still love the feel of it).

However, if you mean they can't just play casually, then yes, I can imagine they would be annoying to deal with. I'm pretty sure that's what you're saying. I prefer to play it with low items myself to make it that little more exciting.

So that's what people mean when they mock "tourney" players (not real tourney), is that they're so uptight they must keep every little random obstacle out of the way? I thought you/they mocked the actual tourney players in general (who make money) because of the top tiers.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
This was the news that got me onboard with the Wii U. When I have money saved up, I'll pick up these controllers and a Wii U with the new Smash when appropriate.

Finally, a reason to buy the thing for myself has appeared. Can't be left behind in the smash world, my friends will surpass me! :D

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
FizzyIzze said:
Dexterity said:
This is gonna sound random, but can you use that controller with the gamepad while using the gamepad as a screen?
Since you snipped the post you quoted, I can only guess what you are asking.

I am guessing that you want to know if you can use the Pro Controller with the Gamepad as a screen. I play VC games that way sometimes. It works fine. You can also use the WiiMote plus classic controller that way too.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
WeepingAngels said:
FizzyIzze said:
Dexterity said:
This is gonna sound random, but can you use that controller with the gamepad while using the gamepad as a screen?

I am guessing that you want to know if you can use the Pro Controller with the Gamepad as a screen. I play VC games that way sometimes. It works fine. You can also use the WiiMote plus classic controller that way too.
Yes, that's correct. Sorry, I snipped the original because I was asking Neronium directly and he had posted a large image of the Pro controller, but I got a response saying no, the game pad couldn't be used as a small screen. However, I can't blame him or anyone that responded no because it looks like it has to be used in a very specific way.

I think this addresses my (strange) question and officially confirms what you're saying:
How to Use the Wii U GamePad to Display Wii Mode. [http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1483/~/how-to-use-the-wii-u-gamepad-to-display-wii-mode]

So using the GamePad as a screen is called 'Wii Mode'? And it's for Wii or Virtual Console games only? AND...you can use wired controllers with it by plugging them into an original Wiimote?

Now that is just too fucking cool!

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
FizzyIzze said:
WeepingAngels said:
FizzyIzze said:
Dexterity said:

Yes, that's correct. Sorry, I snipped the original because I was asking Neronium directly and he had posted a large image of the Pro controller, but I got a response saying no, the game pad couldn't be used as a small screen. However, I can't blame him or anyone that responded no because it looks like it has to be used in a very specific way.

I think this addresses my (strange) question and officially confirms what you're saying:
How to Use the Wii U GamePad to Display Wii Mode. [http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1483/~/how-to-use-the-wii-u-gamepad-to-display-wii-mode]

So using the GamePad as a screen is called 'Wii Mode'? And it's for Wii or Virtual Console games only? AND...you can use wired controllers with it by plugging them into an original Wiimote?
Yeah, I played a Wiiware game called My Life as a King on the Gamepad screen with the Wiimote plus Classic Controller. I also played Super Paper Mario with the Wiimote(just a few minutes to test it) and I have played Earthbound that way with the Pro Controller.

The Gamepad is literally a second TV.

Now that is just too fucking cool!
Yeah, I like the Wii U hardware despite being underpowered compared to it's competition.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
WeepingAngels said:
Yeah, I played a Wiiware game called My Life as a King on the Gamepad screen with the Wiimote plus Classic Controller. I also played Super Paper Mario with the Wiimote(just a few minutes to test it) and I have played Earthbound that way with the Pro Controller.

The Gamepad is literally a second TV.

Yeah, I like the Wii U hardware despite being underpowered compared to it's competition.
I think I know why Nintendo did that, but regardless of the reasons I have new found respect for them. I say this as someone who actually hasn't considered buying a Wii U. If I had the money it would be PS4 first, then Wii U.

So if I have the details right, then...

One of the main selling points of the Wii U was being able to play all Wii U games on either a TV or just on the GamePad. Now, Nintendo had committed themselves to making the Wii U backwards compatible. But perhaps there was an issue with using just the GamePad for older BC games. It stands to reason that their solution was to ensure that wired/wireless controllers could be used while the GamePad was acting as a "dumb" screen. So Nintendo added infrared pickups to the GamePad so the old Wiimotes could be used, and you can also plug in wired controllers into the Wiimote if you preferred those instead.

All in all, it seems that Nintendo went through a lot of trouble to ensure not just backwards compatibility on "both screens", but also to make sure that the best controllers could be used for whatever reason.

I honestly haven't been giving Nintendo enough credit.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
This is actually pretty awesome.

The GC controller is the definitive Smash controller. As much as I like the gamepad, the button and stick positions are pretty crap for execution-heavy games. Additionally, the grips aren't great. I haven't actually tried the classic controller, but I actually still prefer the GC controller's button layout, with everything centered around the A button.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Amazing. I would prefer it if it was a re-shelled Pro controller rather than a Classic controller (just so you don't need a Wiimote) but I guess doing it this way keeps the costs down and most Wii U owners would have Wiimotes anyway... plus it'll work with a standard Wii so that's pretty cool too.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
So I guess I'll be playing Smash U with 2 pro controllers, 1 classic pro controller and 1 classic GameCube controller.

Like the article mentioned however, why couldn't this be the Wii classic controller or the WiiU Pro Controller? The thing won't be nearly as great as it could be since it it shackled to the Wii Remote.

Nintendo really dropped the ball when they felt going back to the diamond button layout was a good idea. GameCube's layout was so good. Playing Wind waker in HD was great, but the buttons were never where I wanted them to be. And that has nothing to do with nostalgia for the game back in the day. I only played through WW once on the GameCube. I used my wavebirds all through the Wii when the game would let me. I just don't find the diamond layout intuitive. Even after being in that game for 25ish hours, I still look at the controller because I have no idea where Y is.

Also, this is evil. They are not only going to sell a bunch of these GameCube controller adapters, they're also going to sell a bunch of Wii remotes as well since not every WiiU owner has a full set.
Wii remote: $40
GameCube adapter: $25
vs
WiiU Pro Controller: $50

Why you gotta play us like that Nintendo?

Hopefully if this does well they'll consider releasing a standalone WiiU GC Pro Controller.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
I think some of you are missing the point as to why Nintendo went with a Wiimote required Classic Controller setup for this GC controller instead of a WiiU Pro Controller setup. It isn't due to being 'wired', as these controllers are still wireless, just through the Wiimote.

Nintendo is thinking past Smash Bros. and looking at the options for WiiU owners who also want to play games on the Wii Virtual Console (VC). Nintendo hasn't done enough yet to upgrade old Wii VC games to be compatible with the WiiU/WiiU Gamepad, so gamers who were previous Wii owners with lots of VC titles who transferred to the WiiU or new WiiU owners looking for classic games have few controller options:

For NES games through the Wii:
Wiimote required, Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro optional (not to be confused with the WiiU Pro Controller)

For SNES or N64 games through the Wii:
Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro required

And guess what? Nintendo has discontinued the Classic Controller (Old and Pro versions), so there is no longer Nintendo licensed controllers to play these games that can be bought new at retail. The WiiU Pro Controllers won't work with anything from the Wii (although this misstep always puzzled me), so these new GC controllers will be that option. Since Nintendo is probably looking to bring their GC games to WiiU VC as well, these controllers will be perfect for that as well.

Bottom line: you're getting licensed wired GC controllers that are 'wireless' with the Wiimotes (which many of us have already), but will be compatible with way more titles available for the WiiU (via the Wii VC and eventually GC VC titles) instead of a WiiU Pro Controller version that won't solve the current VC problems, even if there is the minor inconvenience of needing a Wiimote too.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
why not just make a USB adapter for then wavebird and then i can use it on my PC too :)

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Too late for me, because I already own a set of these [http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG].

..Hang on, I thought Nintendo wasn't allowed to make those anymore due to a patent lawsuit?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
They refuse to play Brawl since there was no wave dashing and because there was tripping.
I get tripping; as a random element, it was really really annoying.

But No Wave Dashing? Given the numerous variation of the hardcore mantra "Get good or get out" (or "Adapt or die") I can't really say I feel sorry for them.

The biggest complaint of those guys however is that they hate it very much when the stage or some random effects affects their gameplay. It's why they prefer to play on Final Destination with no items.
That, I can mostly get behind: Brawl has level mechanics specifically designed to fuck over the player in the lead, especially if human. When items are turned on, I notice power items spawn closest to those in last place, while "booby traps" like exploding boxes/capsules spawn above the heads of those in the lead.

I can understand disliking certain aspects of the game. What I hate the most from "tournament rules only player" is they force others to play by their rules. I enjoy a "no item" match or a battle of skills as much as any Smash players. However, I also enjoy changing the rules to make matches more chaotic like pretty much any Nintendo multiplayer games.
Agreed, completely.
Personally, melee ruined fighting games for me (competitive games at large, in fact) because the extremely elitist mentality of "play my meta or GTFO" reigned. I respect high skill challenges, but a game cannot just be a sport for the hardcore if it is to have longevity.