Official Mega Man Board Game Coming to Kickstarter "Soon"

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Official Mega Man Board Game Coming to Kickstarter "Soon"

And you thought Mighty No. 9 would be the closest thing to Mega Man you could fund on Kickstarter.

A crowdsourcing campaign to fund an officially licensed Mega Man board game will be coming to Kickstarter soon, according to the game's Facebook page [https://www.facebook.com/MegaManTheBoardGame]. Produced by card game-maker Jasco Games, Mega Man: The Board Game pits 2-5 players in a race to be the first to beat Dr. Wily. The set includes miniature figurines and a customizable card deck in lieu of dice.

Capcom has demonstrated a surprising willingness to endorse all kind of third-party Mega Man projects recently. Last year, the publisher distributed Street Fighter X Mega Man, a fan-made PC mashup of the Capcom's two beloved franchises. Meanwhile, the Blue Bomber will return to fighting games as a character in Nintendo's upcoming Super Smash Bros. games for 3DS and Wii U.

According to Facebook, the game is already in production, and Jasco expects to finish the game regardless of how they fare on Kickstarter. Jasco says the campaign exists as "a chance for fans to show their support and help us make the game better."

Jasco plans to create expansion sets based on specific Mega Man entries after the game's release. Planned expansions will add gameplay for up to eight players, while adding new characters, weapons and levels.

There is currently no official release date for Mega Man: The Board Game or start-date for its Kickstarter.

Source: Polygon [https://www.facebook.com/MegaManTheBoardGame]

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
Before I started reading this, my immediate thoughts were as such: "Wow, capcoms got some serious balls to ask money to make a motherfucking BOARD game! I'm going to have a great laugh when it doesn't get a single fucking dime! Oh wait, they'll turn it around and release a public message saying that this is how much support mega man really gets and that they were justified in not using the IP anymore!"

Then after reading the "news" I just wondered how in the hell would one go about playing a mega man board game? Also if the creator plans on going ahead with this idea regardless of how well they do on kickstarter, then why do one anyways? Oh right, alleviate some of the cost. Oh well.

Hey new Mega Man game am I right?!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
BigTuk said:
It's a common trap. the fan base clamours for more but has no idea that more would just dilute the content that was already there. The only thing CApcom could do is basically just release an official level-editor/ construction-kit.
So...the cancelled Megaman Universe game that was gonna have you make your own stages then? I mean I get that they don't know what to do with him since Inafune left, same sorta thing happened after Yuuji Naka left Sonic Team and Sega, but the constant canceling of Megaman games, even when other studios have come out and said they would be willing to make one, doesn't help them.
That's why I say give Megaman to Nintendo Capcom, they seem to know how to use the same IPs and make then enjoyable.

OT: I share the question of how one would play this game really.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
BigTuk said:
Seriously though how do you translate a skill based platformer into a board game.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9533/super-mario-bros

Bam :3 I have no idea how 'good' it is, though.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
BigTuk said:
Uhm? Really? What next, The Doom Card Came?

This is a classic case of hopping leeching attention. Might No. 9 was getting a little attention so bam. Seriously though how do you translate a skill based platformer into a board game. That'd be like a turn-based racing-sim game.

As for Capcom not doing anything with megaman... what the heck can they do that they haven't done already. It's a common trap. the fan base clamours for more but has no idea that more would just dilute the content that was already there. The only thing CApcom could do is basically just release an official level-editor/ construction-kit.
Yeah it's not like Capcom doesn't keep on making games with the same characters despite everything that they can do being done already. cough*STREET FIGHTER*cough cough.