Official Thor Trailer Strikes With the Might of Mjolnir

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Official Thor Trailer Strikes With the Might of Mjolnir

Marvel's official Thor movie trailer has been released, just in case you weren't able to see the version shown at Comic-Con.

The first official public trailer for Marvel Studios's upcoming Thor film has just landed, one that won't be taken down by Paramount [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102447-Thor-Comic-Con-Trailer-Unleashed-Online] anyway, and it's worthy of the god of thunder himself. Unbeknownst to everyone, Thor is actually played by The Escapist's very own Logan Westbrook.

Well, maybe not, but the resemblance between he and the movie's Chris Hemsworth really is uncanny. In the trailer, Thor is first shown battling groups of soldiers with hand-to-hand combat in a very un-Thorlike way. It's later revealed that Thor is cast out of Valhalla and stripped of his powers by Odin, his father and top dog amongst the gods, for apparent recklessness.

While on Earth, Thor has to deal with humanity's questions about his origins in addition to the mischief of Loki. What better time to get rid of Thor than when he's stuck on Earth with no power? Some of this mischief evidently includes the use of the Destroyer armor seen in the Thor comic book, an enchanted set of plate created by Odin.

Thankfully, the movie won't be all about Thor in his powerless form, and will also include plenty of face-to-Mjolnir action and powerful lightning strikes. When Thor brings the hammer down, you better believe that everything nearby is coming down with it. I've got to say the movie looks a lot cooler than I expected, and doesn't appear to be just another superhero flick. Thor will be released on May 6, 2011, in 3D if that floats your boat.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Seeing as he's not using it anymore can I borrow Yahtzee's Like God of War But.. stamp?

KO4U

Aug 15, 2010
With no history reading Thor (let alone many comics at all) I am underwhelmed by this blockbuster. Maybe it's the semblance to Too Human that's got me down, but this here preview lacks awe.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
According to wikipedia in the original Norse myths Mjolnir could level mountains.
I hope they go the Ultimate Marvel route and essentially turn Thor into lightning Jesus cause I found that hilarious.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
GAH I can't wait :D I love Thor. He's my favourite Superhero, like... Ever. He's just plain awesome, and I grew up reading Thor comics.

Someday I might outgrow this naive trust of superhero movies...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
JokerboyJordan said:
Still don't know how they are going to tie this in...
I'm pretty sure the agent asking him where he trained appeared in Iron Man, working with whoever the fuck Samuel L Jackson works with.

OT: There's some duff lines in the trailer alone, especially from Thor himself. Not a great sign, but it doesn't look terrible.

M-JN

Jan 26, 2009
Dang. I'm not much of a Marvel fan, but this looks pretty great. I'd go less for the superhero backstory and more for the mythology. If it's better than Clash of the Titans, I'm sold.

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
M-JN said:
Dang. I'm not much of a Marvel fan, but this looks pretty great. I'd go less for the superhero backstory and more for the mythology. If it's better than Clash of the Titans, I'm sold.
Setting your standards high there, eh champ?

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
Souplex said:
According to wikipedia in the original Norse myths Mjolnir could level mountains.
I hope they go the Ultimate Marvel route and essentially turn Thor into lightning Jesus cause I found that hilarious.
Well at the end of the trailer there he pretty much annihilated everything in front of him, maybe hes Jesus with a slightly [/ understatement] better carpenter hammer :D

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Woodsey said:
JokerboyJordan said:
Still don't know how they are going to tie this in...
I'm pretty sure the agent asking him where he trained appeared in Iron Man, working with whoever the fuck Samuel L Jackson works with.

OT: There's some duff lines in the trailer alone, especially from Thor himself. Not a great sign, but it doesn't look terrible.
Yeah, its the same guy, you see him in a teaser at the end of the credits in Iron Man 2 saying they've discovered Thors Hammer. I imagine he, alongside good ol' Samuel will appear in all the Avengers movies, except he might not be as recognizable.