Oh hey, MovieBob got fired (Or let go)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
He'd probably have been better off calling her a peer. Like I'm not gonna burn him at the stake, but when you refer to someone as a colleague it kind of implies you work together or at least for the same organization
There is also a problem with 'peer' too. Peer implies equal skill, or equal ability or status. If someone was my peer in something I would expect them to be as good, not just have similar interests to me.
We wouldn't say...Ed Wood is a peer to the Russo brothers just because they both happen to work in film and direct movies. When you're looking for a peer reviewed scientific paper you don't want it written by a PHD and reviewed by a 3rd grade science student.

So to with Ellis and Chapman. For all MovieBob's barking and growling at how long he's been doing his job in film/social commentaries he's never been...good at it. I only know Ellis from the Nostalgia Chick so I can't say if her post-TGWTG career is any good, but I have seen Moviebob's stuff.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
So to with Ellis and Chapman. For all MovieBob's barking and growling at how long he's been doing his job in film/social commentaries he's never been...good at it. I only know Ellis from the Nostalgia Chick so I can't say if her post-TGWTG career is any good, but I have seen Moviebob's stuff.
Not being good at it might be a bit of a stretch, however Moviebob's career certainly has been declining for a while now. Bob seemed at least semi prominent during the golden days of the Escapist but he always had trouble growing his career beyond that, and has in fact burned a lot of bridges with his old fanbase.

Its definitely fair to say he and Ellis are not in the same league. Even in the most charitable interpretation Moviebob is a has-been while Ellis brand has been consistently strong and is growing.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Have you went past stonetoss already? I'm a fan, although it's not as funny as the Ben Garrison antisemitic edits

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
His older videos (like, ten or eleven years back, as in Escapist heyday) were good from a "film industry and cinema for dummies" perspective and fairly loaded with introductory-level information. I'll give him that much. But, that's a double-edged sword; if you delve a bit deeper into cinema, you quickly realize how shallow his knowledge base really is and that they're only good for that introductory-level experience. There's nothing expressly wrong with that in and of itself, but if you're going to present yourself as a film critic, it stands to reason one should be able to talk about staging, depth of field, spacing, aspect ratio, framing, lighting and palette, camera placement and movement, sound, lens effects, and other technical details of filmmaking with some level of fluency.

Like, for example Bob's mentioned Galaxy Quest a time or two, and how much he loves to draw attention to the fact it's satire. That's great. The movie was also a freaking cinematographic master class. Like, how do you consider yourself even an amateur cinemaphile and broach the topic of that movie without discussing its aspect ratio shifts?

I mean, compare Moviebob reviews to RLM reviews. You can tell from the way RLM videos are shot, those guys have the expertise and experience to talk to filmmaking on a exceptionally technical level. They talk about it when analyzing film from time to time (it's really obvious in their BotW videos) but you can also tell they're very committed to "show, don't tell" because they use the techniques they talk about, and know to draw attention to the fact they're doing it through camp, humor, and irony.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Does he actually talk about the same stuff in both accounts? There are other topics in a personal life besides politics that someone might consider separating from the professional one.
Its kind of hard to tell to be honest as his 'work' account is filled with politics and a bunch of popular media observations, and his 'personal' account just seems to be politics. Which is like, not how I would expect that divide to go. I guess I could dig into it more, but honestly I was just surprised to see politics in both places as unless you're a political commentator most of the time people have a work account to talk about work related stuff, and then a personal account where you talk about everything else (this could be politics, or just dog/cat pictures or what have you). If you're gonna use a professional account to talk pretty loudly about politics then you may as well also post puppies and kittens too because honestly only one of those three things is likely to put your career at risk and if it isn't a problem for you then there's no point breaking it out.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
His older videos (like, ten or eleven years back, as in Escapist heyday) were good from a "film industry and cinema for dummies" perspective and fairly loaded with introductory-level information. I'll give him that much. But, that's a double-edged sword; if you delve a bit deeper into cinema, you quickly realize how shallow his knowledge base really is and that they're only good for that introductory-level experience. There's nothing expressly wrong with that in and of itself, but if you're going to present yourself as a film critic, it stands to reason one should be able to talk about staging, depth of field, spacing, aspect ratio, framing, lighting and palette, camera placement and movement, sound, lens effects, and other technical details of filmmaking with some level of fluency.

Like, for example Bob's mentioned Galaxy Quest a time or two, and how much he loves to draw attention to the fact it's satire. That's great. The movie was also a freaking cinematographic master class. Like, how do you consider yourself even an amateur cinemaphile and broach the topic of that movie without discussing its aspect ratio shifts?

I mean, compare Moviebob reviews to RLM reviews. You can tell from the way RLM videos are shot, those guys have the expertise and experience to talk to filmmaking on a exceptionally technical level. They talk about it when analyzing film from time to time (it's really obvious in their BotW videos) but you can also tell they're very committed to "show, don't tell" because they use the techniques they talk about, and know to draw attention to the fact they're doing it through camp, humor, and irony.
Those are actually very good points and I hadn't considered that. Maybe Moviebob is going for the intro to movies bit, and a lot of his knowledge and trivia are the basics of knowledge or trivia.
I mean say what you will about the Nostalgia Critic and Angry Video Game Nerd as people and productions, but their reviews do go into some technical details, acting abilities, staging, color, controls, etc...it isn't just a summary of the plot followed by "Holy Fucking Shit".

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
There is also a problem with 'peer' too. Peer implies equal skill, or equal ability or status. If someone was my peer in something I would expect them to be as good, not just have similar interests to me.
We wouldn't say...Ed Wood is a peer to the Russo brothers just because they both happen to work in film and direct movies. When you're looking for a peer reviewed scientific paper you don't want it written by a PHD and reviewed by a 3rd grade science student.

Lindsay Ellis does most of her material in long form, where the subject allows. I think the shortest of her video essays is about half an hour, the rest of them vary between forty minutes to an hour - not counting her Loose Canon series about certain characters. Basically much more of her material is deep dive. Bob's most commonly viewed material isn't much longer than five or six minutes. Ellis is probably better educated formally on a lot of what she critiques but I've liked pretty much all of Bob's stuff, and the long form stuff he has done I have found to be engaging and interesting. There's room for both of them in my life, but dear Robert needs to remove his feet from his mouth regarding Ellis, toot sweet.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Closing this since it's no longer about the original topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.