Oh Look. He-Man

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Sooo....yeah, this looks like it could be fun. It seems to be trying to straddle that fine line of "cheesy as fuck 'cause the source is cheesy and we love it" and "also genuinely cool and badass." We'll see if they pull it off.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Sooo....yeah, this looks like it could be fun. It seems to be trying to straddle that fine line of "cheesy as fuck 'cause the source is cheesy and we love it" and "also genuinely cool and badass." We'll see if they pull it off.
I did not watch much He-Man growing up, but this looking interesting.

Well...look at that, it comes out on my birthday.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah I have a soft spot for He-Man, at least for the classic power up line. Even now, when I hear the original, with that stentorian boom, the music playing, as it echoes as if he's shouting into the cosmos itself, it's effect is pretty powerful for me. It's similar to hearing a lightsaber ignite, or the ghostbuster proton packs charge up. It's an audible signature that just triggers some huge responses in my brain. So yeah, hearing that again, it was pretty good. Not as impactful as the original for me, but it damn well got the mood of it for sure. I owned a lot of the toys from that show growing up. I won't say I'm a fanatic for the show, or any of the stuff from back then, as I feel I have a healthy mental separation from the stuff of my childhood, to insulate me from excessive nostalgia-itis. But there is some love for it, regardless.

Plus, using "I Need a Hero" is pretty much perfect soundtrack for "Kind of cheesy, but also emotionally stirring as well." xD

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
He-man was kind of on it's way out by the time I was 5 or 6, though there was that terrible scifi revival, but that was brief so I'm not like OMG SO EXCITED HE-MAAAN!! It's like "cool I remember the chest damage spinning thing and my castle grayskull"

From the trailer and that fact that Kevin Smith is running this one I'm kind expecting something inbetween Voltron and Castlevania...so no She-ra crossover happening on this one. It looks neat, not a fan of Kevin doing that writing. He's kind of prolific for being a shitty comic writer.

Actually all the writers suck. *whew* my excitement just dropped to 0. It's Kevin, his buddy from his podcast and writers from things I don't like. Tim Sheridan would get a break because he worked the new transformer show thats been pretty good, but he also wrote several DC cartoon adaptations that were pretty awful. I'd put $10 it but maybe Kevin will surprise us. Its not unheard of.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
He-man was kind of on it's way out by the time I was 5 or 6, though there was that terrible scifi revival, but that was brief so I'm not like OMG SO EXCITED HE-MAAAN!! It's like "cool I remember the chest damage spinning thing and my castle grayskull"

From the trailer and that fact that Kevin Smith is running this one I'm kind expecting something inbetween Voltron and Castlevania...so no She-ra crossover happening on this one. It looks neat, not a fan of Kevin doing that writing. He's kind of prolific for being a shitty comic writer.

Actually all the writers suck. *whew* my excitement just dropped to 0. It's Kevin, his buddy from his podcast and writers from things I don't like. Tim Sheridan would get a break because he worked the new transformer show thats been pretty good, but he also wrote several DC cartoon adaptations that were pretty awful. I'd put $10 it but maybe Kevin will surprise us. Its not unheard of.
It’s not like the OG is a high bar to clear.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

It’s not like the OG is a high bar to clear.
Yeah I'm definitely withholding expectations at this time, for the most part. Like I said in my earlier post, the trailer feels like they are going with a tone that I can get behind. We'll see if the writing holds up long term. I'll definitely give it a look.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I owned a lot of the toys from that show growing up.
One of my mom's favorite stories to tell about me is that I was a notoriously cranky child (5-6 years old) when woken up. One year for Christmas, my uncle bought the Castle Greyskull play set for me and was really excited to see me open it. Against my mom's warning to let me sleep and wake up on my own, my uncle stirred me awake for gift opening, and my response when Castle Greyskull was in my hands was "I didn't ask you for this." Crushed him. Kids are the purest form of asshole-ery. That was over 35 years ago, and I still haven't thanked my uncle on principle alone.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
One of my mom's favorite stories to tell about me is that I was a notoriously cranky child (5-6 years old) when woken up. One year for Christmas, my uncle bought the Castle Greyskull play set for me and was really excited to see me open it. Against my mom's warning to let me sleep and wake up on my own, my uncle stirred me awake for gift opening, and my response when Castle Greyskull was in my hands was "I didn't ask you for this." Crushed him. Kids are the purest form of asshole-ery. That was over 35 years ago, and I still haven't thanked my uncle on principle alone.
:LOL: Yeah I'm pretty sure I had the greyskull playset too. I know I had the standard cast from the cartoon.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah I'm pretty sure I had the greyskull playset too. I know I had the standard cast from the cartoon.
Oh, I ended up loving that toy because I was a huge He-Man fan at the time (every '80s kid was,) just never showed a single iota of appreciation to my uncle who my mom purports was very disappointed by my slight. You've got to know him; he'd give the shirt off his back to anyone to make them happy, and he was really looking forward to that trope-y joy of a kid on Christmas morning jumping up and down in their onesie pajamas, and I killed all of that with the kind of cynicism that was way beyond my age and paygrade. Hindsight, he'd have been completely justified in throat punching me, but apparently, it's frowned upon when you hit a kid, even when they deserve it.

EDIT: That said, I've no particular fondness or nostalgia for He-Man, so I've no exceptional feelings about this reboot (I'm more tired of reboots than anything.) My thing would be Voltron. I had the die-cast metal lions, and it was my favorite toy I can remember; probably going on eBay for hundreds of dollars today. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have a room full of my old toys and be sitting on a small fortune...

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Oh, I ended up loving that toy because I was a huge He-Man fan at the time (every '80s kid was,) just never showed a single iota of appreciation to my uncle who my mom purports was very disappointed by my slight. You've got to know him; he'd give the shirt off his back to anyone to make them happy, and he was really looking forward to that trope-y joy of a kid on Christmas morning jumping up and down in their onesie pajamas, and I killed all of that with the kind of cynicism that was way beyond my age and paygrade. Hindsight, he'd have been completely justified in throat punching me, but apparently, it's frowned upon when you hit a kid, even when they deserve it.

EDIT: That said, I've no particular fondness or nostalgia for He-Man, so I've no exceptional feelings about this reboot (I'm more tired of reboots than anything.) My thing would be Voltron. I had the die-cast metal lions, and it was my favorite toy I can remember; probably going on eBay for hundreds of dollars today. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have a room full of my old toys and be sitting on a small fortune...
Yeah Voltron was a personal favorite too. But I recall, when I was younger, me and my friends, all gathered our various toys, of all the lines, transformers, gi joe, he-man, etc. And had an apocalyptic fight with all of them at the end of the world. And that "end of the world" translated into the bic lighter we had, that we used to set them on fire, and burn them all in a rite of passage into teenager-hood, and thus too old to play with toys anymore. So, yeah I literally burned that nostalgia bridge long ago. I still have the memories of the shows, like Transformers and stuff, and have fond memories of the emotions they would trigger in kid me. But, I don't ache for those days, other than a desire to no longer have middle age-body pains, and the general health of being 9 years old. That would be sweet. But I'm fine with the show being good, or not. I'd love it to be good, and fun to watch, both for the minor nostalgia of those characters, but also just because I like things to be good and fun.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I expect 3 things: cumloads of gay subtext, a complete tongue-in-cheek tone if you're seriously going with Holding Out For a Hero as a theme, and loads of Jay and Silent Bob references.
Otherwise what was the point of hiring Kevin Smith to write a super straight, super serious take on He-Man?!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I expect 3 things: cumloads of gay subtext, a complete tongue-in-cheek tone if you're seriously going with Holding Out For a Hero as a theme, and loads of Jay and Silent Bob references.
Otherwise what was the point of hiring Kevin Smith to write a super straight, super serious take on He-Man?!
Well there is a difference in Kevin Smith writing his OWN shit, and making references, and someone hiring him for a writing job for another property. So I doubt there will be many J&SB references. I mean I won't rule them out entirely, as that kind of thing is fairly common in these industries, especially if the other creators are fans of the material in question.

As to loads of gay subtext, not sure how this would play out. I mean it's netflix, so they can just BE GAY with it if they want to. It doesn't have to be subtext. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the characters are openly non-het to some degree or other, but I don't really care? At least from the trailer, it seems to be more focused on action, and anime-esque stylistic choices, and combat that seems inspired heavily by the bending animations from Avatar and TLoK. I got a very Fist of the North Star vibe from the shot of He-Man in the hood, riding in the wastes, and then the dramatic reveal to piles of muscles. So...*shrugs* who knows.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Well there is a difference in Kevin Smith writing his OWN shit, and making references, and someone hiring him for a writing job for another property. So I doubt there will be many J&SB references. I mean I won't rule them out entirely, as that kind of thing is fairly common in these industries, especially if the other creators are fans of the material in question.
I mean to be fair Jason Mewes is a voice actor in the show. If they're not going to do Kevin Smith movie references, that's a pretty odd choice as he's not really known for his voice acting.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah Voltron was a personal favorite too. But I recall, when I was younger, me and my friends, all gathered our various toys, of all the lines, transformers, gi joe, he-man, etc. And had an apocalyptic fight with all of them at the end of the world. And that "end of the world" translated into the bic lighter we had, that we used to set them on fire, and burn them all in a rite of passage into teenager-hood, and thus too old to play with toys anymore. So, yeah I literally burned that nostalgia bridge long ago. I still have the memories of the shows, like Transformers and stuff, and have fond memories of the emotions they would trigger in kid me. But, I don't ache for those days, other than a desire to no longer have middle age-body pains, and the general health of being 9 years old. That would be sweet. But I'm fine with the show being good, or not. I'd love it to be good, and fun to watch, both for the minor nostalgia of those characters, but also just because I like things to be good and fun.
Why would you do that? Why? You could have just gave them a way to charity or neighboring kid, or a friend of a relative/etc. That's what my brother and I did as we got older and gave away certain toys or games.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Why would you do that? Why? You could have just gave them a way to charity or neighboring kid, or a friend of a relative/etc. That's what my brother and I did as we got older and gave away certain toys or games.
Because that didn't occur to us at 11-13 years old back then?

I mean to be fair Jason Mewes is a voice actor in the show. If they're not going to do Kevin Smith movie references, that's a pretty odd choice as he's not really known for his voice acting.
*shrugs* I think it would be a bad idea to constantly do such a thing, and personally I think Kevin is smart enough to not do that. Personally I think Jason Mewes has a perfectly good enough voice for that work, and that it's probably more just the Director's Stable trope of some people always liking to work with their friends, so they have work.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, the new She-Ra was awesome... This looks... well it looks like Castlevania, so... maybe they can pull it off, hard to tell from the action scenes they have going, but the designs are spot on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Because that didn't occur to us at 11-13 years old back then?
Oh my god, you both became Sid.

I know every generation of kids are different, but I never once thought of burning my toys. Plus, I wasn't allowed to use matches or lighters (on my own) until I was about 13. And burning toys was a strict no no. I rather not get a belt or switch to all my body parts.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Oh my god, you both became Sid.
Is that the kid from Toy Story? Huh, yeah on that day we did, now that you mention it. I mean aside from the implied evil of killing things that clearly aren't actually alive, that were just plastic products shilled to me by the Reagan era commercialtoons. :p

I know every generation of kids are different, but I never once thought of burning my toys. Plus, I was allowed to use matches or lighters (on my own) until I was about 13. And burning toys was a strict no no. I rather not get a belt or switch to all my body parts.
Yeah it wasn't like a regular thing for us, it was something of a spur of the moment thing. We had all just kind of phased out of any interest in the toys. They were just lumps of plastic. Not really sure which of us (there were like 4 of us), that suggested it, but,it just seemed like a good idea at the time. *shrugs* As to having the lighter. Yeah we didn't always do what we were told growing up. I mean this was back in the 80s, so I don't recall any huge embargo on lighters, as I was a fairly responsible kid at that age, so I didn't raise too many red flags for my parents (that would change around 16). Also they both smoked regularly, so lighters and matches were everywhere, and easy to obtain.