Oh no....The studio behind the Minions is doing their own Grinch movie :(

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
(This is a teaser trailer thats actually a promotion for the Olympics)

While the video taken on its own merits was amusing, but seriously they are gonna take the only Dr. Seuss character I actually enjoyed and...."modernize him"

How much are you willing to bet the Whos are gonna get iPhones as christmas presents in the movie?

And Benedict Cumberbatch is gonna be Grinchy boy, no he's voice is way TOO deep and villain sounding to be the Grinch, At least the Jim Carrey one was funny mostly because Jim is just that funny a guy.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
If the Lorax serves as a clue, we'll see the Grinch advertising everything everywhere, except in the movie (if we are lucky). It probably won't be a good movie either.

And why is Minions the measuring stick? The movie was mediocre-average, but at least it was their own characters; and not an adaptation that massacred the source material.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
CaitSeith said:
If the Lorax serves as a clue, we'll see the Grinch advertising everything everywhere, except in the movie (if we are lucky). It probably won't be a good movie either.

And why is Minions the measuring stick? The movie was mediocre-average, but at least it was their own characters; and not an adaptation that massacred the source material.
So the Minions is not equel to the Emoji Movie? Because both movies are equelly shit tier in my eyes.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:
CaitSeith said:

So the Minions is not equel to the Emoji Movie? Because both movies are equelly shit tier in my eyes.
I haven't watched the Emoji Movie, but I have watched Minions, and it didn't make me want to kill myself (in other words, still above shit tier). The Lorax on other side...

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
I've known this for about 2 years at this point. Yeah, I'm not looking forward to it and I don't even like the Jim Carrey one at all.

Jim Carrey's great in the role, but the rest of the film is kinda terrible.

I haven't seen the Emoji Movie because I refuse to, but as for Minions, eh. It wasn't that awful imo. It was okay, but not that good.

I'm not gonna be shocked with it being "modernized" since this is the same company that made the Lorax which apparently advertised products that danger the environment despite the fact that the Lorax's message is on making the environment clean or something.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
...what the fuck did I just watch?

I'm not even sure how one could reasonably make a feature-length film of The Grinch, and if you could, I wouldn't have thought figure skating would be part of it.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Hawki said:
I'm not even sure how one could reasonably make a feature-length film of The Grinch, and if you could, I wouldn't have thought figure skating would be part of it.
Looks like a tie-in to the Winter Olympics. Might not even be part of the actual movie.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Didn't they also do the Despicable Me films? Why go to their least appreciated work straight away? As a creator of anything, I'd be pretty miffed at that kind of transparent treatment. It kinda says more about the predisposed opinion to expect than anything else

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I doubt it will be as bad as the lorax movie. Mainly cause that movie was not only bad but also shit on the meaning of the book. The grinch doesn't have quite as much of a message as the lorax so I think it can merely be bad.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
This might just be another one of my patented unpopular opinions but I always thought the artstyle of Dr. Seuss, between his actual books and all that has been adapted from them, incredibly unappealing, even as a kid. Which is unfortunate because I do actually enjoy his poetry, I think it's very whimsical and has some great wordplay. But his characters always looked sorta... gross to me.

Of course that doesn't change the fact that all recent adaptions of his stories have been awful. I mean, I heard that Horton movie was alright, I haven't seen it, but the live action Grinch was bad, The Lorax was bad, the Cat in The Hat was... well, you know, that one was almost artistic in how weird and creepy it was but that doesn't mean it's not horrible.

Long story short, this is gonna be pretty bad. Illumination just makes complete non-movies. They look kinda like movies. They sound kinda like movies. But they aren't movies. They are advertisments for themselves.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Hawki said:
...what the fuck did I just watch?

It reminds me a lot of when they were using The Lorax to advertise pretty much anything...
...and I speak for the cringe!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Xsjadoblayde said:
Didn't they also do the Despicable Me films? Why go to their least appreciated work straight away?
Well, it could be because the Minions are the official mascots of the studio; they're bound to be the most closely associated.

Plus, I'd really only say the first Despicable Me film was enjoyable. The studio does have more misses than hits as far as I'm concerned, even aside from Minions.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Xsjadoblayde said:
Didn't they also do the Despicable Me films? Why go to their least appreciated work straight away? As a creator of anything, I'd be pretty miffed at that kind of transparent treatment. It kinda says more about the predisposed opinion to expect than anything else
Because Despicable Me 1 was fun, but nothing else. Despicable Me 2 has its moments and that Pharrel song, but is a pretty "meh" movie otherwise. And Despicable Me 3 genuinely sucks.

Basically what I'm trying to say is even at their best, Illumination Studios have always failed to eclipse the likes of Dreamworks or Disney Animation (and they don't have a snowflake's chance in hell of coming within the same ballpark as Pixar). They're more tolerable than Blue Sky Studios or Sony Animation, but that's not even a remotely fair contest. And even then, Blue Sky gave us the Peanuts Movie.

I think the main reason people hate Minions is because it represents so many things wrong with the entertainment industry. Same reason people hate Taylor Swift and Call of Duty. Not because they're the worst things ever, but because of what they represent: dumb, mass-marketed, board-room produced bland entertainment made entirely for the sake of a paycheck, rather than any artistic merit.