Ohgren Available In Dragon Age: Awakening

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Well Ohgren couldn't be killed, he was the only one too who wouldn't run off or die.

Judging by the first trailer in which Alistair makes an appearance I thought he'd at least be a party member too, perhaps he is, either him or
Loghain

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
I knew this already but I happen to *Like* Ofgen

He was a beast and made me laugh. Actually Ihappen to like everyone in Dragon age.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I didn't hate him, but I found him boring and less than useful in my party no matter which class I was playing. The only character I'd like back less than him would probably be Sten.

That said, however, Oghren really had nothing to do with the main storyline which is why they did bring him back. Awakening is just an expansion pack and the amount of work it would have taken to bring back an actual meaningful character given all the ways the story could twist and turn would likely have been too much work. Hopefully we'll get a full continuation of our DA:O storyline in DA2.

zoharknight

Sep 10, 2008
Oghrens cool and all (though i never used him at all) but i was hopeing for Shale personaly. Freaking loved that golem, she was a riot.

giantgemclips

Mar 26, 2009
I can't say I actually used Oghren with the exception of having him in the deeps for that part of the quest. I did his personal quest which actually made me like him more. Otherwise He only appeared in part two of the last battle.

However, I think it's all personal anyways. I, to varying degrees, liked most of the characters. But I rarely used Wynn, never used sten except to have him challenge me and to do his personal quest.

For me the main party will always be

me
Allistaire
Lelliana
Morrigan

However I'll make due. I'm sure the others will show up in my umpteenth time plaing Awakening.

Oh, and I hear Oghren has a pretty interesting story if you take him into the mage tower and then on to the fade.

Oh, as a point of note in reference to another's statement about leliana going nomadic, I think she actually stays with my character in one of my play throughs.

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
ravensshade said:
TheAmazingTGIF said:
I feel like he was certainly the weakest of the characters. Hell, Rabbit had more personality.
your dog right?
i would've thought shale or one of the others to be picked but.. ohgren? bleh... oh well...
Yeah that is his "Official" name. That or Barkspawn.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
I didn't like Oghren that much the first time around, but when playing as an asshole I kept him around because he wouldn't complain about anything unless it was NOT PICKING A FIGHT. The more I kept him around, the more awesome he became. If you don't pay attention to the background conversations and talk to him A LOT you miss a lot of why a jarringly straightforward drunk pervert can be entertaining. See for example:
-Conversation with Wynne regarding Alistair and 'pike-twirling'
-Further conversation involving 'polishing his weapon'
-Incoherent threats involving kicking the dog
-Miscellaneous lechery toward Morrigan
-'Yeah, well, your mother!'
-Arguments with Shale
-Mistaking the warden for a hot chick (regardless of gender)
-Offering the warden The Brew of Oghren, so to speak
-Overwhelmingly supportive 'frat brother' attitude toward the end

The list goes on.

giantgemclips

Mar 26, 2009
TheAmazingTGIF said:
ravensshade said:
TheAmazingTGIF said:
I feel like he was certainly the weakest of the characters. Hell, Rabbit had more personality.
your dog right?
i would've thought shale or one of the others to be picked but.. ohgren? bleh... oh well...
Yeah that is his "Official" name. That or Barkspawn.
Mine was Puddles.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Eh. He's a decent Tank. I prefer him to Shale, anyway. Shale would miss half the damn time, Oghren could at least hit people. I got him late in the game, but I would have loved to have him earlier on.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Am I the only one who doesn't like this move? Do you know anyone who used Ohgren through to the end of the game? There were just so many better options out there like Sten or Shale. Perhaps that's why BioWare chose him, now that I think about it. An interesting character that was underused in the first game. Ok, if that's why, then maybe I'm on board.
Wait I am confuzzled...
Someone actually preferred Sten over Ohgren?
Sure, Shale was the obvious choice, but really? Sten? How did you tolerate that guy?
Also, I can think of no plot reason for Zervan, Leliana, Shale, and Dog can't also join you.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
Well i'm guessing they chose him because he had very little background info so they can probably play around with that in awakening.

Shihoudani

Oct 3, 2009
I don't know about the OP but I loved Ohgren! He was my favorite character out of everyone on Dragon Age. ^_^

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
MAJOR MAJOR SPOILERS!

Shale can be killed in game and Sten killed or dismissed. Alistair can die 2 different ways or just wander off embittered. Morrigan is either off raising a God child which, when you consider how much effort it takes to raise a normal child, no wonder she isn't here, or she's sulking. Wynn was on death's door at the games end, assuming you didn't kill her in the mountain shrine along with Leliana. Who's left? Oh, Zevran can turn on you and thus die. Dog can be skipped. Oghren is really the only one left who was guaranteed to make it. The worst you could do to him was tell him to get lost. Makes sense he can come back.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Baby Tea said:
bjj hero said:
I just loath dwarves. they are so boring... and short... and beardy.

I won't play a dwarf and I won't have a dwarf on my party out of principle.

Does that make me racist?
Yes. You're a terrible person.

On topic, Oghren wasn't the greatest character, but he was better then some.
I liked him better then Sten, over all. And he was way better then Wynn. Sorry to the Wynn fans, but I don't want a Grandmother when I play my games. Morrigan was useful in combat, but dang she was annoying. Everything I did made her mad, unless it was completely irrational. And since I didn't play a raving lunatic, she was pretty much pissed at me all the time (Until I started giving her shiny things).

Oh well! I'll take him over Sten or Wynn.
My favorite moment with wynn was when the Guardian asked her if she only spoke platitudes, and she responded with a platitude. No matter how useful a healer is it doesn't cover for such a annoying personality.

All the better party members could be dead or unable to join, but so what? If that player got them killed or left behind then he/she misses out. I like that idea, but I take care of my teammates so I won't be missing out on anything.

El Danny

Dec 7, 2008
I honistly though Ohgren was one of the best charicters, I found him hilarious, I'm very glad he's coming back.