Ok, so the Playstation Classic is a thing...

captainsavvy

Jan 5, 2009
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/playstation-classic/

This was not something I expected to find in my inbox this morning.
It's going to come with 20 preloaded games and 2 old school PS1 controllers. You know, the ones with no analogue sticks.

There are 5 games announced so far:
Final Fantasy 7
Tekken 3
Ridge Racer Type 4
Wild Arms
Jumping Flash.

Not going to lie, this hit me right in the nostalgia.

It's releasing on the 3rd December for ?89.99 in the UK.
It does say it doesn't come with a USB AC adaptor and you'll have find your own, which is a bit cheeky tbh.

Any ideas what the remaining 15 games might be?
I keep thinking of the games I played back in the day and there are just so many I'd love to see.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Sony finally realizes years later that people actually would like opportunities to access old games legally again. Shocker.

If I had to take guesses Symphony of the Night and Twisted Metal 2 seem like pretty likely candidates. There's a few others that I would like to be on the system but don't seem very likely despite being pretty attached to Sony (like Legend of Dragoon or something). If Crash and Spyro remasters weren't a thing I'd think they'd be locks for it but including them seems sort of pointless now.

I'm still kind of cheesed game companies are charging this much to access games that are almost (or literally are) over two decades old. I don't see why I should pay $100 for some dinky mini-version of the console when they could just port a game to current hardware and still probably get away with charging a relative premium on it. Or I could, y'know. Resort to less legal methods.

Sony ported tons of shit to PS3 so their reticence to do that with the PS4 (outside of an unimpressive pool of PS2 games which hasn't grown since they introduced them) has been especially frustrating.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Noticed it too. Actually made a thread about it too, a little earlier than yours, but hit myself with the stupid stick and accidentally posted it in Off-Topic.

Anyway, if I could have my way, I'd go for at least some of the following games:

Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy Tactics
Vagrant Story
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Einhander
Tempest X
Metal Gear Solid
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
PaRappa The Rapper
Suikoden 2
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Dino Crisis 2
Legacy of Kain
Silent Hill
Gran Turismo 2
Crash Team Racing
One of the WipeOuts

I'd add Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Resident Evil to the list, but Crash and Resi 1 already have HD remakes, while Spyro and Resi 2 have upcoming ones. So their inclusion seems kind of superfluous now.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Chimpzy said:
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy Tactics
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Metal Gear Solid
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Suikoden 2
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Dino Crisis 2
Legacy of Kain
Silent Hill
Crash Team Racing
I haven't played a lot of PS1 games, but I agree with all of these, and on the extreme off-chance that literally anyone else remembers it, including whoever the current rights holders are, I'd like to add Croc 2 to that list. Sure, it was rushed for Christmas, but that game was my entire childhood and a few more years besides.

captainsavvy

Jan 5, 2009
Chimpzy said:
Noticed it too. Actually made a thread about it too, a little earlier than yours, but hit myself with the stupid stick and accidentally posted it in Off-Topic.
Oh no! Sorry to take your thunder! D:

Chimpzy said:
Anyway, if I could have my way, I'd go for at least some of the following games:

*snip*

I'd add Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Resident Evil to the list, but Crash and Resi 1 already have HD remakes, while Spyro and Resi 2 have upcoming ones. So their inclusion seems kind of superfluous now.
Sleepy Sol said:
Sony finally realizes years later that people actually would like opportunities to access old games legally again. Shocker.

If I had to take guesses Symphony of the Night and Twisted Metal 2 seem like pretty likely candidates. There's a few others that I would like to be on the system but don't seem very likely despite being pretty attached to Sony (like Legend of Dragoon or something). If Crash and Spyro remasters weren't a thing I'd think they'd be locks for it but including them seems sort of pointless now.
Yeah, I'd also have figured Parappa would be a shoe-in if it wasn't for the remasters they did recently.
Though there's something funky with the rhythm timings between what's on screen, what you hear, and when you press which makes the remasters pretty frustrating. Same problem with the Patapon remaster :(

Definitely think they're all good options.
I'd have also said Medievil if it wasn't for the remaster that was announced.
Abe's Odyssee/Exodus too.

I'd quite like to see Heart of Darkness.
I remember having it on PS1, but I was fairly new to gaming at the time (the PS1 was my first console) so I didn't have the intrinsic knowledge of the language of video games. I remember not getting far and eventually trading it in for something else, so I'd quite like another shot at it now that I know better how video games "work".

Also Star Ocean Second Story. I was lucky enough to actually get a copy back when it released. I don't think I ever finished it, but I remember enjoying it and I don't think I've ever seen it ported.
Same with Breath of Fire 4.

Sleepy Sol said:
I'm still kind of cheesed game companies are charging this much to access games that are almost (or literally are) over two decades old. I don't see why I should pay $100 for some dinky mini-version of the console when they could just port a game to current hardware and still probably get away with charging a relative premium on it. Or I could, y'know. Resort to less legal methods.

Sony ported tons of shit to PS3 so their reticence to do that with the PS4 (outside of an unimpressive pool of PS2 games which hasn't grown since they introduced them) has been especially frustrating.
It's the reason I still have my PS3. Though I also still have my PS2 and OG fat PS1, so I guess as long as they don't break I'm ok XD

I guess it's nice having these games in a handy portable thing, but I agree that it's awful how some old games are held hostage and never ported to more recent consoles. It's definitely less of a problem for PCs obviously, but there are a number of old PS1/PS2 games that I'd love to legitimately play again without having to emulate, and having them tweaked to work on modern HD TVs would be a massive plus.

I actually have the 3 Discworld point and click games on PS1 (yes, they released them on console) and I would dearly love to see them remastered to work on larger TVs. I mean, you could use the DS4's track pad as a mouse!

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thinks to note, no analogue stick on the controller, so no ape escape.

Hopefully you'll be able to load it up with ROM like the snes classic.

captainsavvy

Jan 5, 2009
As much as I like PlayStation, this is clearly another ?me too? move. I was all for the SNES Classic because it had a pretty cool UI and felt distinguished enough from just playing the games on Nintendo?s virtual store via Switch or Wii-U. Granted I don?t have either of those but they also threw in the unreleased Star Fox 2.

Time will tell what bonus features this thing will have besides 1080p/60fps. I think the memory card is kind of a nice touch since you can take it with you to a friend?s if they have the console too.

What would really put it over the edge for me into a purchase besides a nifty UI is if you could load more games to it in the future.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Sleepy Sol said:
Sony finally realizes years later that people actually would like opportunities to access old games legally again.
The PS Vita got a huge number of PSX ports (and loads of ports of PSP ports of PSX games).

Obviously, nobody bought the PS Vita, but still...

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
After Atari and Sega there was Nintendo and now there is Sony with their classics collection console, good on them, aside from copying Nintendo's practice of not providing an AC adapter for devices.

Personally not that interested in the device unless it has a way to side-load games on it. There are far more than 20 games that I would want on a device like this, the PS1's library is just a wee bit too big to be condensed into just 20 games.

Feb 7, 2016
I thought it was really neat and all, but then, EW GROSS, no analog stick. Guess it won't matter if they don't put any games that need precision controls, but that also means I might be a little less interested because a lot of game that make the PS1 what it is in my mind either required, or played much better with the use of an analog stick.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
bluegate said:
After Atari and Sega there was Nintendo and now there is Sony.
Speaking of Sega, they're going to release a [ulr=https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/19/17878298/sega-mega-drive-mini-genesis-release-date-delay]Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Mini in 2019[/url].

Oh, and it's apparently not another one of those Flashback things. ATgames is seemingly still involved in some way, but Sega is now working with a domestic developer to handle the software. So, might turn out better.

Then again ... it's Sega.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Uh, why is there no AC adapter with it? Furthermore, looking down the list of best-selling PS1 titles, this thing would be dominated by Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, and Crash Bandicoot if they went by that. I'll see how this goes, but for now I doubt Sony can nostalgia as well as Nintendo

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Warhawk and Twisted Metal. I would be shocked of those didn't show up. But I would really like FF9, Einahnder, Parasite Eve 1/2 and Suikoden 2. Although I really doubt that would happen. I will bet money at least one of the resident evil games will be included, despite the fact there are so many better ways to play it then on the playstation.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Aiddon said:
Uh, why is there no AC adapter with it? Furthermore, looking down the list of best-selling PS1 titles, this thing would be dominated by Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, and Crash Bandicoot if they went by that. I'll see how this goes, but for now I doubt Sony can nostalgia as well as Nintendo
Yeah, the nostalgia is almost entirely banked on them being able to pull in from third parties (many of whom are doing their own remasters and whatnot). The amount of actual Sony content from the PS1 era is kind of staggeringly low.

Anyways, there's basically no chance that Gran Turismo and Twisted Metal won't be on there (whether its the 1 or the 2 in either case is the real question). GT's the top selling game ever on the system, and Twisted Metal seems to be a go-to for them needing a first-party visible character. And both are first party so no issues to get them unless they dropped the source code somewhere.

It'd be weird if they even tried it without Crash, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy 7. Remasters/Remakes or not, that's probably the big 4 (even if Turismo outsold them) killer apps for the thing. Resident Evil kind of rounding it out as an optional 5th.

Then the rest is probably gonna be quasi random and more based around the difficulty of licensing whatever then any necessary credible criteria.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Aiddon said:
Uh, why is there no AC adapter with it?
It is powered via USB and they include a USB cable. At this point in time who doesn't have a USB power brick? I have four within two feet of where I am sitting now.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Are they always making these things mini cause it's cute or cause it makes people feel like they're big, grown-up giants in comparison?