Ok, so the Playstation Classic is a thing...

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Worgen said:
Parasite Eve 1
If it has Parasite Eve on it, that might actually convince me to get one, since that game has never been released in the PAL region, and being able to finally play it legit without having to go through a bunch of hoops would be tempting.

The rest of the line-up would still need to be largely to my taste tho. Not gonna lay down 100 euro to get one game.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Neat but I'd rather wait for the inevitable PS2 Mini.
Actually I think they should have skipped straight to a PS2 Classic that has say 128GB internal and expandable storage either through USB or an internal 2.5inch hdd slot.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I am getting PlayStation AllStars deja-vu where they try to copy Nintendo but lack too many IPs that actually matter.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Saelune said:
I am getting PlayStation AllStars deja-vu where they try to copy Nintendo but lack too many IPs that actually matter.
The Playstations have plenty of IP for a classic console such as this. However, the issue is a lot of them are third party. And some of its genuine First Party hits like Crash Bandicoot are missing from the line up, which is baffling.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Gordon_4 said:
The Playstations have plenty of IP for a classic console such as this. However, the issue is a lot of them are third party. And some of its genuine First Party hits like Crash Bandicoot are missing from the line up, which is baffling.
Probably because it's already had a remake.

Think about it - what reason is there to get the original Crash trilogy as opposed to the remaster? Semantics could give the answer to that, but, yeah.

captainsavvy

Jan 5, 2009
I think one of the things that could persuade me to get it is if the majority of games on it are ones that I never got around to playing, but wish I had, and they're difficult to find now. I know emulating is a thing, but I'd rather have a legitimate copy of something.

Or ones that I desperately want to play again but they look like ass on a modern TV through my PS1. I still have my PS1 and it still works, but it and it's games are very obviously designed for old TVs.

Surely they'll do something to make these games behave better with HD/4K TVs right?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Hawki said:
Gordon_4 said:

Think about it - what reason is there to get the original Crash trilogy as opposed to the remaster? Semantics could give the answer to that, but, yeah.
You know for some reason that simply did not occur to me :p

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It can't really be a classic PlayStation unless it has a known issue with the hardware which causes read and load errors.

Nostalgic times of flipping my console upside down so it could load Final Fantasy VII's cut scenes.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Gordon_4 said:
Hawki said:
Gordon_4 said:

You know for some reason that simply did not occur to me :p
Yeah, it's likely that some PS1 classics will be no-shows cuz of remakes. I'm thinking probably Crash, Spyro and RE1/RE2.

Also, I'd say the current line-up isn't bad in term of third party showings. Ridge Racer 4 and Tekken 3 are Namco and FFVII is Square. Although the latter two were admittedly co-published by Sony in some regions. It's not like the (S)NES mini are lacking in third party either and I'm pretty sure Sony has enough clout to make it happen for their own retro offering.

Richard Kain

Aug 10, 2009
Sony has actually been really good about keeping a large chunk of the PS1's library available for purchase, thanks to PSN's digital offerings. There are numerous quality PS1 games that can be had for very reasonable prices from Sony's on-line store. There are even a decent number of Sony platforms that they work on.

What is baffling is why none of these digital PS1 games run on the PS4, which could easily handle all of them. That makes no sense.

So long as Sony doesn't over-produce the PS1 Classic, it will sell like gangbusters. The PS1 is old enough to tickle nostalgia. And while a lot of games have not aged that well from the PS1-era, the PS1 had an enormous library, and could easily fill out a selection of 20 titles of timeless classics. This whole thing should be an easy win for Sony this holiday season.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
One guy in this FB gamer group I'm in posted a comment that said, legit, "I guess Nintendo didn't trademark the term 'NES Classic'" which leads me to think that people who post about videos games on Facebook are not too bright.

If the remainder of the library is decent, I'll probably buy it but only because I'm an idiot who is too into collecting for his own good.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Gordon_4 said:
Saelune said:
I am saying that the games that should be on it, mostly wont be, just like in PlayStation All Stars.

Chimpy gives a list of games that, like, how many of those will be on it? And most of them are elsewhere anyways.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Richard Kain said:
What is baffling is why none of these digital PS1 games run on the PS4, which could easily handle all of them. That makes no sense.
That was because there was no PS Classic announced, now it makes complete sense.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
You know what would be funny? That it included Final Fantasy 8, while the Nintendo Switch doesn't even have a port.

Sony does what Nintendon't

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
CaitSeith said:
You know what would be funny? That it included Final Fantasy 8, while the Nintendo Switch doesn't even have a port.

I heard the problem with FF8 was tied to the licensing agreement for one of the song in the game, and that's why it wasn't included. Maybe Sony have the right for it and not nitendo.

There's so much square stuff that I doubt we'll get that many, there's already FF7, so I'd be surprised if there was any other FF in it, maybe FFT at most.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
CaitSeith said:

Reminder: FFVIII isn't even on the PS4. From what I've been able to gather, there are two possibilities why.

1) Eyes on Me's music rights which seem to have something to do with the singer having the rights to it.

2) Square...was not diligent in preserving code. FFVII's PC version had much the same problems, the team essentially having to reverse engineer things a bit in order to make it function.