Okamiden Trademarked in North America, Europe

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Okamiden Trademarked in North America, Europe

Okami [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77741], has been trademarked in North America and Europe - suggesting that Capcom is planning on bringing the title overseas. Everyone say it with me now: "PUPPY!"

When Okamiden, the DS sequel to 2006's beloved Okami, was announced back in September [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94374-Okami-Sequel-Okamiden-Confirmed], everyone who'd bought the original game (yes, all 26 of them) stood up in a collective shout of "Yes!" and "Awww, lookit the little baby wolf-goddess!" Then, they promptly sat back down again, as they realized that Capcom might not be planning to localize the title - heavily steeped in Japanese culture and folklore - at all.

Well, this may not be a confirmation, but you can breathe a little bit easier now: Siliconera has unearthed Capcom trademarks for Okamiden in both Europe and North America [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/02/17/first-sighting-of-okamiden-in-north-america/], meaning that - at the very least - somebody is talking about bringing the DS platformer and its adorable protagonist Chibiterasu to the Western shores.

But when you think about this, it really makes sense. If Capcom localized freaking Tatsunoko vs. Capcom [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7116-Review-Tatsunoko-vs-Capcom-Ultimate-All-Stars], these guys will localize anything!

I want to hug Chibiterasu. I really, really do.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Oh man i hope it makes a release stateside.

im a sucker for Japanese Art, Mythology, and good Story.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
PUPPY!
OT: I might get this, not many DS games I like. Still need to play the frist though...

BuyableDoor

Oct 13, 2009
oppp7 said:
PUPPY!
OT: I might get this, not many DS games I like. Still need to play the frist though...
Have you ever played The World Ends With You? Best game on DS in my humble opinion.
Oh, and do play the first Okami. It's one of the best games ever made.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
PUPPEH!!!

*ahem*

What I mean to say is that bringing a new entry in the Okami franchise to the DS makes perfect sense, given the stylus and touch screen, so I hope this makes it to North America.

mobsterlobster

Sep 13, 2009
They'd be fools if they didn't release it here. The amount of crap we get on the DS here is unbelievable. We could do with some more decent DS games.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Chibiterasu is way cute. I thought briefly, 'Wouldn't it be bad-ass to have an adorable wolf-goddess puppy as a pet?'

Then I thought, 'Wait... Then would I have to get her spayed?'

Yes, practical considerations have a nice way of derailing idealized fantasies, don't they?

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
RebellionXXI said:
Chibiterasu is way cute. I thought briefly, 'Wouldn't it be bad-ass to have an adorable wolf-goddess puppy as a pet?'

Then I thought, 'Wait... Then would I have to get her spayed?'

Yes, practical considerations have a nice way of derailing idealized fantasies, don't they?
Well its that or have demigods running around your house

OT: Never played the first one, but im definitely gonna give this one a look.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
I want to say I'm excited about this, because the DS seems like the perfect way to control it, and I really liked a lot of stuff about the first game, but I also never finished it. It's probably partly my own fault for insisting on doing every little random optional side quest that got handed to me, but it really seemed to drag in the second half. The first part of the game was amazing and tons of fun and felt like a complete but sort of short game. Then I just kind of started getting sick of the combat (which is one of the weaker points of the game) and trying to get the damn wiimote to acknowledge that I'd drawn a circle in the right place to revive yet another tree. I still kind of tell myself I'll go back and finish the last third or so of it at some point, but it's been a long time now since I was actively playing it...